Monday, November 4, 2013

Simplicity 1699 Muslin and Some Tips From a Beginner!

See, this is why I don't muslin. Okay, there are adjustments I can make to this pattern but...if I sewed this in my fashion fabric and it fit this way, I would not be unhappy. I would acknowledge the imperfections, but I would wear it, proudly.




Front: I could use more room from the bust down - my shoulders are narrow with respect to the rest of my upper body. Look at that sloping left shoulder!!!



Back: Will I do a swayback? nope. I should...I should in preparation for my classic fitted blazer.




Side: It isn't level from front to back. I need a little more length to get over the bust. See how it's pulling slightly?


It *is* a little tight across the back when I lift my arms or bend over.



I *think* my bust dart needs lowering but I'm not sure. Chime in please!


I've been doing narrow shoulder adjustments on my tops lately and have been quite pleased. I'm not sure it's necessary on this though. I think I just need to account for the sloping shoulder rather than narrow both shoulders. Also, I thought I'd hate the pleated sleeve but I don't!


I posted on Pattern Review for a muslin critique but would appreciate any and all advice, comments, suggestions, etc. I am getting pretty excited about this little jacket! :)


As I was making this muslin, I was all...WOW! I am going to sew EVERYTHING with cotton broadcloth!!!! It cuts well, it sews flawlessly, it presses like. a. dream. Swooon. Make everything out of cotton broadcloth!!!! Ok, not everything but...you get my drift.

Do not sew over your pins. It's a bad, bad habit. I have been caught a time or two. Once, the needle the pin, the tip of the needle broke off, and it hit me in the face. Luckily, I did not get hurt. That stopped me from doing it for awhile. Then I started again. And this weekend, this happened:

for shame

Lastly (for now), change your sewing needle! Throw away bad pins!!! But since those things are sharp, have a handy, dandy, sharp thing container. For me, that's a glass (!) Trader Joe's spice jar. (They have amazing garlic powder, cumin, oregano, basil and smoked paprika. For $1.99 each!)