Sunday, February 8, 2015

One Top, Two Top: Burda Challenge February + Butterick 6183

Friday after work I stopped at Hancock and sitting behind the register was a McCall's box. I was very nice and sweet and BAM! the cashier opened it up and the new Butterick's were inside, just waiting for me ;-)

I am *supposed* to be sewing a coat for transitioning into spring. The pattern pieces are cut out; I just need to get started on it. But I could not resist B6183! I almost sewed both the top and pants but cropped pants are still a ways away, weatherwise.

It has cup sizing! YAY!!!! So I cut a 14 D cup and did my normal Big4 adjustments; a 1/2" narrow shoulder and a 1/2" swayback (I added a CB seam). Also, princess seams always need to be lowered. I moved these down 1".

There are so many seams! Eesh!

It's meant for wovens but I used ponte just in case because I WANTED it but did not want to muslin it. I think it worked out well.

Wait...The size 14 had a finished sleeve bicep of 13.5". YOWZA. I added 1" by just slashing and spreading. I would lengthen the sleeves a tad next time.

Lastly, I did not use a zipper - it just wasn't the look I wanted with this one, so I used an elastic loop/button closure at the top.

Anyway - I LOVE THIS TOP!!!!!!! I am definitely wearing it tomorrow to work!

The sides are "jutting" out a bit. I will straighten them next time.

(pants are Simplicity 2061)

The bust is VERY fitted. I'm going to give it a shot in the future in a woven but unsure about it being so highly fitted and woven...


Next up, when I was NOT working on my coat, I pulled out the Burda mag for February. Originally, I had planned on a jacket for my project this month. But decided that a coat, a jacket and jeans for one month (and a full social calendar) would be pushing it.

I fell in love with this cropped top when I first saw it and talked myself out of it because hello, cropped. top.!

Uhm yeah. I LOVE it! :)


This is a petite pattern and I went with my normal size 42. I should have done a narrow shoulder adjustment and didn't. It's not too bad though.


Excuse my tank tag!
(pants are V1411



The neckline is pretty high and I prefer it with a necklace


I used a snap!


And polka-dot bias tape!!! :-D

I am seriously in love with this one. Gah!

Ok, if you don't speak "Burda", the instructions on this one aren't THAT bad, but in a nutshell:

1) sew front darts
2) sew shoulder seams
3) hem sleeves
4) sew sleeves (they do need to be eased a bit)
5) hem back opening (or sew it shut; whatev)
6) sew side sleeves

Then sew bias tape at neckline and underarm and hem. I think the most essential part that it may be easy to graze over is that you do yourself a WORLD of good if you hem the sleeve first and sew it in before sewing the side seams.

Fabric is a linen/rayon lightweight suiting from FM and it sewed AMAZINGLY! I'm so glad I still have a yard plus of this stuff left!

47 comments:

  1. I like both of those tops, and your hair..Why didn't I subscribe to Burda? SMH. To late now at least until next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!

      You can start a subscription any time!

      Delete
  2. That burgundy top looks fantastic - it shows off a great hourglass figure...little straight up and down me is jealous!! Pants look great in both pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those tops! The Butterick top is too cute, and your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that Lisette top on you a LOT better than the envelope pic (the envelope pic did nothing for me). As far as the lack of bust ease goes, I know that some of us (myself included) found a similar lack of usual ease in the Lisette for Simplicity line. Interesting that that carried over with Butterick--just something to be aware of.

    BTW--I remember loving the pants that you're wearing with the Lisette top, but now I can't remember what pattern you used. That's ponte, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. S2061 my now fave little knit pant pattern.

    Blogger ate my comment. Drats.

    Good to know re: Lisette. I want to sew the shirt dress she had with Simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Michelle--I love the Lisette top on you so much more than the envelope. I might need to get this one now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two great garments!! I totally passed over that Burda cropped shirt, you made it sooo well and it looks so friggin great on you. I would have had no clue how to wear it, this is exactly right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I wanted it so.badly! when I saw it but had to think on it. Glad I went for it!

      Delete
  8. Super cute tops..Both look great on you.. The pants are so cute with the burgundy top too..
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love both those tops and those pants in the first picture are too much fun. Did you make those too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graca! I did! They are S2061 in a ponte knit.

      Delete
  10. Like the Lisette top very flattering. The other option is fun especially nice with the jewellry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great tops! I need to get on my Burda for Feb.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those pants and the ponte top together! Also, it looks like the ponte top fits really well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely tops! I saw the crop top in the magazine and was like "I can't wear that!". But, you ingeniously paired it with a tank top - so simple and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's exactly what I thought!!!

      Delete
  14. Love both looks and the printed pants are gorgeous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love both tops and just recently purchased the crop top one from Burda as, I, too fell in love with it. Thank you for translating the Burda-speak as I am new to sewing their patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gahhh I have serious crop top envy right now! I love it, and I love the way you styled it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm new to fit adjustments. What does it mean to "lower" a princess seam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delayed response -- darts and princess seams exist to fit the bust curve. The fullest part of my bust is lower than the pattern. So I have to lower the bust curve to match mine.

      Delete
  18. Cute tops! And lucky you to get the Butterick hot of the press. I'm going to run out to my Hancock's right now and see if they have that one in yet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, love that crop top - I hadn't noticed how nice the back is at all. And you got an amazing fit on the Butterick- well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I cannot wait for spring!

      Delete
  20. Love the crop top on you! You styled it quite nicely and you look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Don't you love it when things work out without having to muslin them?! Great work on your Feb Burda project, your styling of it over a tank makes it very wearable. Meanwhile I'm still waiting for my Feb issue to arrive......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG still?! It's almost time for March to be mailed! Hopefully it arrives soon!

      And yes! I do because I DESPISE making muslins!

      Delete
  22. Both are cute! You're getting the jobs completed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey I love your top. I bought this Butterick pattern #6183 and I'm going to sew both, culottes and the top. Hope it will turn out well like yours. Bye Philo
    http://houseofphilo.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!