Friday, December 11, 2015

Lounge Wear Part I: McCall's 7295

I'm really excited now about getting a whole bunch of cute, casual clothes sewn up!!

First up was the tee that I mentioned in my last post, McCall's 7295:

I think it's so cute and just had to have it. I knew I wanted to color block but I'm not good at color-blocking so I went with no-fail colors. Placement was determined by the size of my scraps (hey; I'm working with what I have! :-p )

The instructions for this pattern are fine but the photos are confusing. I was seriously not understanding their illustration for attaching the shoulder band and in the end put the pattern pieces on Lily and had a duh moment


Basically the front sleeve attaches to the front of the shirt, the back sleeve to the back of the shirt and then the front and back are each sewn to the band.

My daughter got home just as I was getting ready to do the neck binding and she told me to go with black. I think that was a good choice!



I -LOVE- the shaped hemline!!

I was getting myself mentally prepared to do twin-needle stitching in grey, black and white and then realized my machine already had white thread loaded with the twin needle - oh well, there goes that! Haha! I decided 'what the heck' and went with white topstitching everywhere. And I actually really like it! It goes with the casual vibe of the top



 I promise my neckband is not wonky! It's my raised arm from selfie-taking :)

One note of caution on the neck binding. My gray jersey is not very stretchy at all, the black is much lighter weight so it has more give and the white is very, very slinky. If I'd used the gray, the pattern piece would have been fine but with the black I had to remove about an inch of the binding or else it would have been floppy.

A funny note about the fabric; gray is from SR Harris, black is from Fabric Mart and white is from Fabric.com! I love it!

Because the hem has so much shaping I serged the edge and did a double fold. The sleeves were serged, folded up 3/4" and topstitched.

The size Medium has a 39.5" finished bust which equates to zero ease for me. That's how I like a casual knit top like this - no ease (not negative ease). From what I've gleaned, with dropped shoulders and cut-on sleeves (like kimono and dolman), a little fold at the armpit is inherent. Plus, this is a casual garment so I'm not going to be picky about "perfect fit".

 I did a 3/4" swayback adjustment (and added a CB seam) and added a little more hip room with a slash and spread (added 1/2" so 1" total). I think I need another 1.5" - 2"! It is *just* grazing so with movement it gets hung up on my butt. When I tried it on with jeans I had pooling in back. With leggings it was fine and here I'm wearing yoga pants so it bunches a little. That's what makes me believe it's not the swayback causing the pooling but that it doesn't have quite enough room to make it over the butt!

If I were making it as a top (and not loungewear), I would shorten it about 3". (I can totally see me making this for spring/summer as a t-shirt alternative so I'm putting this there for my own recollection later.)

At any rate I absolutely LOVE it. I'd like to make it in a solid for the body and undersleeve (with a contrasting 'strip') and topstitch the seams.

Lastly, I broke my fabric-stash fast as mentioned and I absolutely love everything I ordered. It's predominantly knits with a couple cuts of lace.

The chevron crepe knit on top is to die for <3




19 comments:

  1. This is so cute, especially with the color blocking! Nice to have a tee with those extra details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I wasn't sold on the line drawings, but that top is incredibly cute on you! Love the colour combo you used. I might have to add this to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad I was able to wade through! Lol!!

      Delete
  3. Yay for cute lounge wear! I like the color blocked look, and the colors you chose. Even better that it used up some scraps that you had in the stash--it's so hard to get rid of those teeny pieces of knits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is!! Hard to toss them but hard to get 'em used!

      Delete
  4. This is a lovely lounge wear, and the top-stitching was well done. I have never used twin needle before, I should try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! And am looking forward to see what you make from your new haul, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The top looks great. Good job on the colour blocking! I find that it is very hard to choose colours and prints that work well together. Maybe Craftsy will offer one of their free mini-classes on it someday.

    (By the way--this is Andrea from Zoopolis. I don't know why Blogspot always puts me as blog1 in comments!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I need that pattern! I love the colors you used and it's great you were able to use up the little leftover scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely Nakisha...the colour blocking, the contrast top stitching and the shaped hem are all fabulous details. Also the fit looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good! I'm glad you could see past the ruffled-hem pants. I completely missed the top because those mutton chops clouded my thinking. Now I think I may pick it up for lounging and skating. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhhh new fabric...didn't it feel good opening that box! Anticipation running high before you actually got to touch them...spreading them out on the table to examine each one...and then being rewarded that they are just as you imagined. Ahhhh the experience...*LOL* Maybe it's time I buy some more fabric I'm obviously having issues! ROTFLOL! Oh and the top is cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute...Great job. Love your new fabrics / the chevron is gorgeous.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for drawing my attention to this pattern. Love what you've done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice, comfy looking casual T that fits you beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, the black neckline was the way to go. I love the colors you picked and that hem!! I love the look of a curved hem (not so much fun to sew them sometimes). I’m a 39 bust, too and I like no ease as well. Negative ease makes me a bit self conscious. I’ve also been noticing that it isn’t always a swayback issue. I think most of my shirts are getting hung up on my rear too! I add ½” or so to each side of the back hip on the flat pattern, but I think the slash and spread would be a great way to do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your top turned out great, I really like the colour blocking, especially the white that really pops.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!