Monday, December 7, 2015

My Weekend in Pictures


Friday afternoon my daughter passed her behind the wheel exam and is now a licensed driver! She then proceeded to try to run every errand I needed. She did go and get pie crusts for me and pick her brother up from work one day. :)



I baked sweet potato pies for Thanksgiving and it was decided that I needed to make December 5th pie day. So 2 pies were made! This is unbaked. I had to send it to my brothers to tease them and as expected, my younger brother sent me an "oh my gosh can I have a pie!!!!?!" text :)

I pulled the pies out of the oven and then we zipped off to see the MN Timberwolves play the Portland Trailblazers. The best part was being club level with unlimited snacks and yumminess. My husband decided that since he was with 3 people who could drive home, he could consume (and consume!) lol! 




She had copious amounts of soda and desserts



I'm always trying to sneak and take the boy's picture. Someone has had too much ale...


Sunday I got to finally see my TWIN! Great-niece and nephew! They were so sweet and mmmmmmm! Sweet baby smell! :) She is super active and ready to GO! He is very laidback and chill. If you take him out of her view and bring him back she gets SUPER excited to see him and it's thee.cutest.thing.EVER!

Sewing related...


I had began to trace the pattern pieces for the Burda jacket (starting with the small pieces like pockets, facings, etc) and decided I just cannot trace ALL of the pieces! I don't even want to cut all the pieces out! Wah!

It has front and back princess seams plus separate lining pieces for the jacket so there's something like 16 or so pattern pieces. BOOOOO! However, I am really excited about this jacket now because of those details (separate lining pieces, separate upper/under collar, etc). Eventually my mojo will return, I'm sure.



I was all ready to cut out another pair of Style Arc Sandra jeans in gray. Well...whenever I remake something, I get the 'old' one out if I still have it to consider adjustments. Both pairs are WAY too big. I whine for a moment about having to trace the smaller size and THEN...then I realize I have the 16/18/20 size grouping and now need a 14. So I'm not sure I'm going to repurchase the pattern. 

I did however do some practice stitching on the pocket. The denim stretches and the pocket stretched out along the top as you can see. I got tips on Instagram to stabilize it (either with tear-away or interfacing). Brilliant and easy solution!

Also, I think I'll go with more of a pale grey vs. white when the time comes. The white feels too stark.



Awhile ago I made a skirt in moleskin and really loved working with the fabric. I had a few cuts in the stash as Hancock often has 50% off this fabric. This is an olive color and I thought it would be perfect for my New Look 6418 skirt. I went in for topstitching thread and had pulled 3 or 4 colors, nothing looked right and the guy that works there came by, looked at the thread, pulled this one and said, "here you go!". And it's perfect! That guy is so good!!!!

My Hancock is clean and bright and has very good service. I've completely stopped wasting my time with my local JoAnn. It's never worth going there so now, I don't. I know many only have JA as an option and some actually have great stores! And, I've heard horror stories from people about their local Hancock! Just goes to show how different things can be.


Lastly, it's been forever since I did any sewing. Okay...it's been a week...but that's a long time for me! In an attempt to get the mojo going, I cut out the top from M7295 (the pattern with the hideous ruffled leggings). I'm glad I was able to look past the leggings (maybe I should tape a sheet of paper over them on the pattern envelope - hahahaha!). I made pattern adjustments last night (swayback and a slash-and-spread to give more butt room in back) and hope to get the bones constructed today. 

I'm doing view A -- I think the sleeves are very full on the long sleeved versions judging by the pattern envelope and I want easy and don't feel like adjusting them -- the front and back will be gray jersey, the undersleeve black and the strip white. I will have to 'audition' neck binding colors. 

Until later!