Thursday, December 31, 2015

Reflection on 2015 Goals

From my 2015 sewing goals:

1) A new sewing machine
I got the Singer machine that I was eyeing! I still have no plans for anything near a TOL machine anytime soon and aside from a couple of annoying things, I'm loving this one.

Yay for auto buttonholes
Yay for needle up/down function
Yay for auto presser foot pressure

2) New techniques
I have to get over the welt pocket fear. I mean, that whole 'slicing into my fabric' thing is kinda scary.

I sewed welt pockets! YAY!!!!! And in a knit too!



I sewed a swimsuit!




3) Using my Burda mags
 I treated myself to a Burda subscription and will plan to sew a Burda a month.


Soooo about that...What I've found is that Burda tends to grow on me. Even when I really like the issue, it usually takes time before I really want to make an item. I don't plan to give up my sub any time soon...on an annual subscription it equates to less than $8 per month which is worth it to me. And I don't have storage constraints - yet.

This year I made 8 garments from 6 issues. Not bad!

Jan:

Feb:


June:



August:

October:


November: Not for me, but still got used!




For December I SO intended on sewing this top:

But got scared off the back finishing. Maybe next month :)

4) Patterns
I HAVE TO slow down on pattern purchases!!!


Err, when I posted this last year I had 453 patterns and am up to 561. That's an average of 2+ patterns per week. Gah. I think I will be pattern fasting for a little bit.

Oh hell. I just realized the 4 Simplicity patterns I picked up aren't logged yet because they haven't been "released" and aren't available on PR yet.

I have a problem!

5) Fabric
Again, I hope to be a little more judicious and not buy all.the.things.! I won a membership to Julie's Picks for this year and hope it doesn't end up making me go even crazier with fabric acquisitions.

I fasted for MONTHS! WOOOOHOOO!! I have so much stash and I need to find a way to use it - or get rid of it. Which is hard.

I will try to fast the first quarter of the year. I am sure I can do it. And my monthly Fabric Mart posts should provide enough "ooh shiny!" for now.

Also, Julie's Picks was nice and I do reference the swatches I got from time to time but I don't think I'll renew. I think I bought 5 JP fabrics all year.

6) Budget
I NEED TO SET MY SEWING BUDGET AND STICK TO IT

Budget, shmudget.

When I think I've done good I realize I've not done nearly as well as my mind has told me I have! LOL! I need to revise my 2016 overall household budget. I have a lot of big events and so spending for sewing will definitely need to be decreased.

7) Personal goal related to sewing
I have to lose weight. I was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees and my rheumatologist says I need to drop some pounds.

I'm not sure what I weigh now but I know that I've lost some weight. This is great but the sad downside is some awesome things are too big now (Like my awesome green B5926 knit jacket and both pair of Style Arc jeans).

I'm trying not to dwell on that and focus on all the new things I can sew!

8) Documentation
Recording my projects. I took advantage of a sale last month and got the 110 Creations sewing journal. 

Yeah, no. It's an awesome book but I don't sketch. I don't want to sketch. I don't enjoy sketching. So I gave the nice pencils to my (artistic) daughter. I just try to make sure I blog each project. Sometimes I don't blog multiples and especially if I make it exactly the same as a prior version.

9) Jeans
This was going to be a goal for 2015. I'm terribly excited to sew more jeans this year though!!!!

DONE! I sewed 3 pair this year!

10) Progression
I have accepted/decided/etc that I am a fast sewer. 

Yeah...I just sew fast. Even when I think I'm sewing slow, I'm sewing fast. But that's just me. I move too much and do everything on level 10. So, that's just what it is.

I don't necessarily feel like I HAVE to sew less - I don't have any kind of issue with my output. Going into year 3 of sewing, I just want to think a little more about what I sew and how it will fit into my wardrobe. 

Well with getting laid off this year and more life stresses I did end up sewing a lot of 'stress busting' stuff. Just using the machine to save my mind. 

I will be taking that bodice sloper class this spring and hope that my first project using my sloper will be a shirtdress.

I didn't take the sloper class. Boooooo! :(

*************************************

Lastly, as I said last year (or really, earlier this year because I posted goals on my "Sewing Anniversary"), the blog will remain as is.

need want my blog to just be a true reflection of me. It HAS to just be my voice. I'm not trying to be  "a blogger". I have no desire to monetize or teach (sorry! I stink at teaching others!) or become a "pattern tester" or anything like that.  I'm not providing content, I'm just being me.

Because really, I just want to sew and share my sewing projects with other sewers who are crazy in love with sewing like me!! (how's THAT for a run-on sentence!?)


Yep...still true. With the exception of doing the Fabric Mart blog but I feel pretty good about that.

I'll be back at some point with a plan for 2016!

Happy New Year!

44 comments:

  1. I think your sewing accomplishments are tremendous and noteworthy. You're like the 'roadrunner' in sewing blogland. I admire your tenacity and enthusiasm. Happy Sew Year 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! :) Thank you Robin! Happy New Year!!!

      Delete
  2. Love this, I'm excited to see your 2016 makes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list..I'd say you accomplished what you set out to do! Kudos..And you are my sewing inspiration! #Sewspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dara! So glad I can inspire someone!!

      Delete
  4. You and I are so much alike :) I blog to share and to look back myself to remember details. I'm not in it to push content, make money, etc. I just love to see my stuff all in one spot and share my success and fails.
    I'm so happy you accomplished most of your goals. I went without my Burda subscription this year but I think I may pick it up again. I also went without my Ottobre subscription. I didn't miss either one.
    I love seeing all of your makes and reading about the process to get there. Keep it up in 2016 :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Exactly!! It's like a little sewing diary :)

      Oh that's good to know. Especially with how many great Ottobre projects you make! When my 1 year was up, I switched to quarterly that way I can perhaps skip the sad summer issues!

      Delete
  5. Wow, what an accomplished year! I love following your blog, can't wait to see what's in store for the year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great year for you! I agree about the monetizing. I tried, very tentatively, dipping my toe in that pond and pretty quickly realized that it's not what I'm about nor what I want to be about. I had missed that you got caught in a layoff. I hope you've found an even better situation going forward, whatever that may be! Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shams! I sure did, went on to bigger and better which was awesome!

      Yeah, I don't care about other people's choice to monetize but it's just not me and seems like it would take some of the fun out of it.

      Delete
  7. I love to see how much you've accomplished this year! I am *not* a fast sewist but I love to see your rapid makes - it is inspiring. They are always well-made, and fun to hear about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You met a lot of your 2015 goals! That's cool and a piece of unwanted advice - maybe you are a pattern collector and should devise a good storage system for them now. It's just the part of sewing that you enjoy - like me and my fabric. I no longer set limits on how much I buy and I'm happier for it. So maybe pattern collecting is your thing. As for your other points - you know you and I agree on so much that I was shaking my head yes during your last couple of paragraphs!

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going point! Thank you Carolyn - for everything!

      Delete
  9. Love your positive outlook and your sewing speed (jealous of it too! haha). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your year was awesomely productive! And I'm going to have to chime in with Carolyn - having a well catalogues pattern stash is great. Almost all my favorite projects are when I pull out a pattern from the stash and unexpectedly mix it with fabric. Right now I'm working on a coat for my dad - I have no reason to stash men's patterns, but I'm glad I did cuz I had it when I needed it. I'm a bit maxed out storage wise, but I've had so many great stash pulls I can't say I regret having such a large one. As long as patterns make you happy, take pride in a well curated collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T!

      See! That's what happens to me!! I whine a little but then that moment when you have exactly what you need in the stash is like...Ahhhhhhh! :)

      Delete
  11. Love, love, love the cute and funky pieces you created and the fact that you took the time to photograph them and post. I seem to always miss out on part of the process--either I create something and forget to photograph it or post about it when it's not finished, etc. Nicely done and love the inspiring post for the start of the new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello ! I love your blog for the reasons you listed last. You sew absolutely terrific stuff but I am sorry to hear you lost your job. Hope 2016 is a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine! You know what they say about life handing you trials...the new job is MUCH better (and I liked the old one!). Happy 2016 to you!

      Delete
  13. You had a wonderful year and I really enjoyed watching you too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved checking your blog out this year and I am eagerly awaiting to see what you have in store for 2016. I'm glad your not changing anything about the blog because I LOVE the tone of your blog and you are a mainstay of the people that I watch. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a problem with patterns as well :). I think you have done rather well this year, looking forward to seeing your 2016 plans. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! Like Carolyn says, I may just be a pattern collector!!

      Delete
  16. I'm glad you're going to carry on just being you as that's who I want to read about. I'm a slow sewer and wish I had a bit of your speed! I have a big house (too big) but my sewing stuff is taking over so I need to cull! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! Good luck with your culling! :)

      Delete
  17. I love that fact that you want to be your real self in your blog! That's my type of blog reading and following! It's amazing how NON monetization can give a clear, honest platform for your thoughts. The blogging world needs more of it to stay fresh and relevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bunny! I really love reading the authentic voice of bloggers so I agree with you!

      Delete
  18. This was a very thoughtful post, it made me reflect on some of my sewing goals and accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You had a great 2015, and accomplished a lot! I look forward to seeing what 2016 holds for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like reading your blog because you are yourself and I enjoy it. I'm glad you aren't going to change.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fast? I prefer focusced and efficient.

    Thinking I need to write some goals down and review them in 12 months too. If I write them down then I won't forget what I'd hoped to do. Maybe!

    Always enjoy your posts and would love to see how you eventually curate your patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You really accomplished a lot of your goals.. Wishing you a very happy and fun sewing in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this post! It's good to see how you accomplished your goals. I love that you sew so fast, it keeps things interesting for the rest of us. :) Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the new year, and hope that your knees/weight loss continue to improve -- even if your clothes become too big!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved reading about your accomplishments, your blog continues to be one of my favorites! I love your speed with sewing, it's been such a motivator for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting . . . Burda magazine patterns often take a while to grow on me too. It usually takes seeing someone make one up to get me to notice and love a pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!