Saturday, August 27, 2016

Not *too* Boring Basics: Butterick 5760

versions 5 and 6... :) Hey, that's what TNT's are for!!!

I'm at the point where I really need to retrace this pattern onto something nice and sturdy, it's starting to look a little beat up.

As per usual, I cut a 16 front and 18 back. I removed the excess fabric from the front skirt that is supposed to be gathered. The side seams are always basted before being sewn - different fabrics or if it's lined or unlined affects the fit. Both of these are unlined, they're both sateen with a slight stretch, so both have 5/8" side seams until just after the hip and it increases to 1-1 1/4". I haven't adjusted the pattern for the pegging - even though I often peg it - because you just never know. I do like the skirt in it's original width, it just depends on the fabric I'm using...and it doesn't take much to tweak side seams.

The one thing I DO need to change on the pattern is the hip curve. I don't need that much curvature and always remove it.

I finished the panel-print sateen skirt 2 weeks ago. Honestly...where does the time go!?!  I'm sure some of you have seen this Maggy London sateen 'in the wild'. I passed on it twice and then saw a dress made up on PR and the next time it went on sale I managed to snag a panel.

I *just* eeeked out my skirt with the single panel!!!

just scraps remain!


I tried to match at the side seams as best I could.



I ended up having to cut the facings from a different fabric. I rummaged through the scrap bin and used this lightweight suiting (I made a bias cut skirt from Burda mag with it last year). It is white/black on one side and black/white on the other.


I went with an invisible zipper and topstitched hem.


The color is really 'me'. I have a few tops in my wardrobe that I can pair this with. I love it with this coral tee (Target) and my new jacket.



My son was in the room while I was taking photos and he had me laughing the entire time. You can see how terrible my posture is on this back photo :/ Also, it is a "sensitive time" and I seriously look 4 months pregnant about 2 days a month. I always manage to want to photograph something fitted during this time! LOL!!! 

Because olive is one of my favorite colors, I have plans to add a few more items in this color to the wardrobe. This fabric is closer to a moss/ivy green but it's in the family, and that works for me! :)

When I made these olive pants I was surprised by how versatile the color is. That led me down a path of wanting all the olive things! :)

And they fit better now! :-p

For this skirt, I wasn't as smart as I was with the floral one. The fabric is narrower so I ordered 1 1/4 yard. On the floral skirt I cut front, waistband, then back.  This time I cut front, waistband, facings then...uh oh. I can't fit my back piece because of the vent. I moved things around, over and over and in the end I had to cut single layer and eliminate the vent. But it worked out! Whew!



I am all for serging the edge of facings but I had a bit of red bias tape to match my serger thread, Oh and on this one I went for a centered zip and again...topstitched hem


I forgot to serge the back seams before sewing the zipper. Arrrgh!

(this is closer to the true color than the photo above)


Yep! It's love! I think I will be pulling this out A LOT this fall, even though this sateen wrinkles if you think about maybe looking at it! :-p

*********************

This month I jumped into the trends and sewed a bomber jacket for my Fabric Mart project! In a crazy printed ponte - and I love it!



It's a Burda pattern -- which Burda's consistency and fit make up for their awful instructions to me! I cut my normal 40 neckline / 42 for the rest but since I used ponte and the pattern was intended for satin, I left off the full bicep adjustment and because it is gathered at the hem, I didn't worry about a swayback adjustment. I made slightly narrower bands than the pattern called for and used a run-of-the-mill black zipper from Wawak. I have been staying away from poly/lycra pontes (give me some rayon!!) but for something like this, it's okay with me. I also lined it with a poly/lycra interlock and left out the interfacing. You can check it out over on the Fabric Mart blog!

The Fabricista Fashion Challenge will be starting up soon so I won't be posting for September. I really enjoy watching the progress! Also, the PR Sewing Bee will be starting in September! It's not my kind of comp so I won't be sewing, but I'll be watching - for sure.





18 comments:

  1. Your outfits are great and that ponte jacket looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your floral skirt. You wear it well! I am liking olive for Fall too! Nice bomber jacket. Great sewing inspirations! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ALWAYS manage to get soooooo much sewing done! Love that floral bomber jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A floral bomber jacket?!?! Yay! Also, great skirts.

    Olive is a wonderful neutral that works with a lot of colors. I really like the olive pants you made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and my pieces of that panel fabric will show up on my body anywhere from 2-5 years from now...I agree with Faye you are fast! You know I love the floral skirt and how well it goes with the new blazer and tee. You have been busy this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love love love that floral skirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The floral skirt is so pretty and looks great with your new jacket. Love the bomber jacket..Looks cute on you. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have so many great pieces! I love the floral skirt, and it pairs so good with your New Look jacket. And that bomber jacket is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looked both skirts! My favorite is the border print one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are really getting a sense of what works for you - I love all these outfits. Keep it going ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I *totally* feel you on that "look" two days per month - though mine seems to have increased to a full week. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

    I have that floral panel too and intend to make a skirt out of it. I almost caved and bought the teal one too, but thought why do I need two of the same print?

    I really like the New Look jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very beautiful pieces - that bomber jacket is just awesome. You look so perfect in it. I can never get over how fast you sew!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That skirt is beautiful!(Yay a not so "fall" piece! LOL!!! The olive is nice and is neutral as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm all heart-eyed over that bomber jacket, and I even have that exact issue of Burda in my pitifully tiny stash of magazines! Glad to know that the pattern worked out for you, because bomber jackets are my favorite (you can't beat them for comfort) and I like to know it works for someone shaped similar to me before I go to the effort of tracing off a Burda pattern!

    That floral skirt is gorgeous too, and yay for pattern tetris success!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These all look awesome but I'm in love with the print skirt and bomber jacket! Seriously, you have styled them perfectly and they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just found your blog - and as a relatively new, but motivated(!), sewer, I really appreciate the insights and nature of the discussion that you post. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much stuff in one post, this would be a months worth for me!! Love the printed pencil skirt (that whole outfit actually) and fun to see your printed bomber jacket as these seem to be popping up everywhere at the moment, you are right on trend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!