Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Finished Item: BSM 06/2014 #121

Holy pin tucks!! :)

I actually ended up sewing them down flat as she thought the normal way was too ruffly. This top took a lot of work over Friday, Sunday and Monday and I sewed the last button on at around 8:30 last night. 

This child looked at me and said, "I don't think I'll wear it tomorrow."

Her brother said to her, "uhmm. Do you see mom's face?" :-)

She was worried about getting it dirty. I reminded her it's a cotton shirt and we have a washer and dryer!!! 


(happy face!)

(Yes mom! I'm wearing shorts!!!)




Particulars:
*50/50 cotton/poly fabric from FabricMart
*Buttons from stash (the top and bottom are actually slightly smaller. I didn't have enough of the larger ones and figured the first button would never be closed and the last one will be mired in skirt gathers!)

Adjustments:
*In a moment of genius, I decided to band the bottom so I wouldn't have to hem it! Woohoo!
*Removed the tower placket and cuffs on the sleeves and inserted elastic (LOVE this!)
*Adjusted the bottom of the button band so it ended at the skirt.
*Sewed the tucks flat instead of as you would for traditional pintucks
*shortened the sleeves


With the dropped shoulder and oversized blouson nature, I didn't even bother with any broad back adjustments (wasn't needed). I had full intentions of doing the burrito yoke method but forgot (yes...I forgot!) and ended up just pressing the bottom up and topstitching from the right side.


When I was attaching the skirt, my husband looked and said, "WHAT is that going to look like when it's done??!" with this...face.


When it was assembled and just needed buttons, she tried it on and my son asked her, "You WANT that? Like, you're going to WEAR that? To school? All day??"

The boys were non too impressed with the oversized top. I was on the fence until it was washed (all the yellow and blue markings removed) and pressed.


Pretty proud of my work on this one and she loves it!!

30 comments:

  1. It turned out to be a very pretty shirt with nice details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww - your kids are too sweet! Her for not wanting to get her awesome new shirt dirty, and him for sticking up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Gail and Dorothy. Your kids' interaction is precious and heartwarming. The shirt is lovely--the details are hard too see from the pics but I really like what you've done. Love the style-my kind of shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Thanks! I added another close up photo of the tucks and collar...hopefully that helps!

      Delete
  4. Hahaha. Those boys don't know what style is. Your daughter looks great in her new top and I loved the pic with the "yes I'm wearing shorts" :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She'll be the coolest chief in the bunch! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the shirt is very nice!! You did a great job! Your daughter looks good in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really amazing details, and I love the sportswear practicality of it. I love the small collar band, it really makes it feel more feminine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally agree. I was looking at the super narrow band and giving it a mean side eye. in the end I really like it. It's perfectly dainty.

      Delete
  8. Always a great day when your kids stand up for you AND each other.

    This reminded me that most of the recent emails from high school have been about dress codes, and more to the point, how long your shorts/skirts have to be.

    I have the sagging teen boy issues, so I'm guessing fingertip length for the ladies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our high school either has no dress code or a really lax one. Luckily here there is only warm weather in the first 2 weeks of school and the last 2-3 weeks. You seriously see things you DO NOT WANT TO SEE on people and it's a shame!

      Delete
  9. It's such a lovely top and looks great on her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty blouse Nakisha and so beautifully sewn. It must be lovely to see how much your daughter loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hah! Love that your son liked his 'real' pants well enough to advise his sister to wear her new shirt! :p So beautifully made, really. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very intuitive that one. He knew she was about to get the wrath! LOL!!! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. I love this top--great work!! I really like the pintucks and how you sewed them, too; I'd be interested to hear more about your technique for that, if you wanted to share. =) And I got a good laugh out of your reaction to her almost not wearing it, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      I pressed them in place and just sewed very close (maybe 1/8", maybe 3/16"??) to the fold.

      Delete
  13. The top looks so cute on her... great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is soooooooooooo cute.. Looks adorable on her too.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful top, beautifully finished. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!