Wednesday, October 8, 2014

FabricMart Fabricista Challenge Week 5

Yeah...the bundle challenge.

This is the set of bundles that went out to the 4 remaining contestants


Which would YOU want??! :)

I was the lucky recipient of bundle #1!

  • The top fabric is a really pretty knit but it has faux "sequins" in it. I could still see using it for a flowy maxi skirt (which will not happen anytime soon because it's winter). 
  • The second fabric is...A DAZZLE KNIT! I thought it was just a lightweight poly knit of some kind and then I unfolded it. OY VEY!
  • Fabric #3 is a poly/cotton broadcloth in black
  • Fabric #4 is a light/midweight printed ponte
  • The last piece is a pointelle(?) sweater knit
I was feeling pretty good about my bundle and was almost certain that with a 10 yard bundle we would be required to create 3 pieces to make an outfit. Don't ask me why, but I was CERTAIN. 

And then we got the challenge. I'll tell you more about my saga after the jump.

I knew the grey/white fabric was out because I just couldn't make it "go" with any combo of the others in my head. So I set about creating an outfit from the remaining 4.


I decided on McCall's 6752; a dress that I made unsuccessfully a few months after I started sewing. Remember how I said I pulled out a bunch of UFOs? I realized that dress looked really cute on me but it was too big up top. Back then, I didn't know! I just happily cut a size 14 and sewed it up (and didn't understand the collar directions)...

For this version I cut a size 10 neck/shoulders/arms and graded to a 14 waist. I cut the skirt as a 14 (I had the size that went up to 14). I used the dazzle knit inside out for the bodice and the printed ponte for the skirt.

I chopped 3" off the sleeve length and did not use elastic in the bodice. Hems are finished with a twin needle.

I will be making this dress again!


For the cardigan, I used the sweater knit and the broadcloth. I've made M6844 like 247 times (or you know, like 6). The non-peplum view in white, black, cream and taupe. The peplum view in blue and now this one. 

I shortened the sleeves by a few inches, only cut one collar band and folded it over. I did not interface the band. I cut the ties 24" each and cut the end at a 45 degree angle. I stitched and turned, and sewed the ties into the side seams of the cardigan. The sweater is finished with narrow hems.

I plan on making one with one of those yummy FabricMart animal print pontes I got not too long ago. I think I like the idea of woven ties and not knit.


I'm actually MUCH happier with my look than I thought I would be!! Huzzah!

Sooooo, what's a weekly challenge without a drama saga. Right?!

So you know I had to travel for my grandmother's funeral. When I got the challenge, I seriously knew immediately what I was going to do. I was going for a mod-ish/retro-ish kind of vibe. I cut S1282 view E in the ponte.  I decided to use the broadcloth for the waistband.

I always use a size 16 for my waist. always. But I got ready to insert the zipper and the skirt was about 3" too small at the waist. Like, I don't know what happened. Even at the highest part of my waist, it didn't fit.

I cut panels from the ponte (the skirt has some fullness and you seriously couldn't tell) and extended the waistband and then inserted the zipper. It fit fine. Well, except I did not do a booty adjustment and the hi-low hem was not obvious.

I got home on Sunday and cut out my top. I decided to use B5922, view B. I decided I might add the collar in the black if it looked okay.


I didn't realize it was an overlay (yeah, I can tell now on the line drawing that it's obvious) and I just cut a "yoke" and the underlay of the shirt, adding seam allowance to the yoke. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. Until I put it on.

It was just...wrong on me. I think the neckline is too high and I need some sort of FBA (drag lines and excess fabric at the armscye).

I put the outfit on and got SAD.

Sorry for the weird exposure!


PERFECT sleeves <3
Look at my handy patch job on the waistband!

I knew I needed something else because I was unhappy with this look! 

Now, if you noticed in my submission, there was A LOT of shortening of patterns. BECAUSE I HAD TO USE MY SCRAPS! hahaha!

I had plenty broadcloth, obviously. And enough dazzle knit. I had to really work with the sweater knit and the ponte though! :) Did you notice my CB seam on the skirt? Added out of necessity!



I cut out all the pattern pieces for my new look Sunday night and had to spend all day Monday sewing it up. WHEW!

The Outtake: :)


Head over to the FabricMart blog and VOTE!! 

(for me. please. I want final 3!!! :-p )

57 comments:

  1. You did a fantastic job.. Looks great on you.. Sorry you had trouble.. heading over there to vote for you.. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your outfit is beautiful. I love the color mixes. I am just getting into sewing about, though, I wasn't that experience before. I will definitely be voting for you. :o)

    frumpy2classyn704days.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Definitely have fun with sewing; it's an incredible hobby!

      Delete
  3. Great job im always impressed with how quickly you sew. Well done for keeping going and making a second outfit when the first did not turn out as you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy!! I've been calling myself Kini's long-lost sister (from Project Runway!) hahaha!

      Delete
  4. Triumph from tragedy. You really made a silk purse here (do you ever wonder that our failures make us work harder and the results are better?) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SJ!!

      I definitely have a write-up planned for after this sewing comp ends. It has been really amazing how I've pushed myself!

      Delete
  5. Very creative. I love this fabric!! I have it in the purple and the golden/brown colors. I have yet to use it because I want whatever i use it for, to be the PERFECT garment. I also have that blue with the navy circles that I'll use for a Mimi G pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I like that color too!

      AND I also have that fabric that Sue got! I was thinking I was going to make a dress but I like the way she used it too!

      Delete
  6. Great job!!

    Oh and putting a tie belt on M6844 cardigan is genius; that's what I need to make mine wearable. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nakisha - this outfit is hot! And you look fabulous in it! I have to tell you that this contest has really pushed you and you've sewn some amazing garments! You should be proud of what you've accomplished! Now off to vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn!!

      I am feeling it for sure! You know I was just fine being in my comfortable place. SO glad I've stepped out of the box!

      Delete
  8. A-mazing outfit! Love love love it! And great idea to sew the ties right into the cardigan. Smart thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made it work! Geez, I would have totally failed - I'm so bad at being creative around someone else's choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail! It certainly makes me rethink the FM bundles!

      Delete
  10. You did an awesome job on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOU ARE INCREDIBLE. You have done a fantastic job. Everything looks ls gorgeous on you, is so well coordinated, and so well made. What an accomplishment. I sure would like to know how come I, with four stash boxes of fabric and 140 patterns, can’t even begin to put something like you have done yet alone do such an awesome job of fitting and sewing it with only four types of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! It was definitely challenging!!!

      Delete
  13. Love everything about this! You had the most colorful bundle of all! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite color is green and I love colorful items so I was a tiny bit jealous when I saw your bundle. LOL. ;)

    Great minds--I did Butterick 5922 for my top with my bundle! Definitely give that pattern a go with another set of fabrics, it is so cute, I actually really like it on your dressform, but I do understand why it wasn't working for you this time. You can make that neckline work for you, just under different circumstances.

    Your redo is cute on you. You know I love dresses that look like a skirt/top. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dina!! I had a slight freak out because I was going to order that sweater knit...to make a sweater for a TODDLER! lol!!!! :)

      Delete
  15. Great job! I think that the cardigan is my favorite part of the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously AWESOME! I love the color palette you had to work with, you did it up right with your garments. I would have never guessed you were working with your 'scraps'. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy!
      It got so real in the cave! LOL!!!

      Delete
  17. You need to hang a sign in your sewing room "I can make it work!!" Really good save!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job, Nakisha! Your cardigan is adorable, and I love that you used the dazzle knit wrong side for your outside! I've got that same green geometric print and it's nice to see it made up- looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is phenomenal ! I love how you made it work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with your color choices. You're doing a great job. Congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's beautiful, and looks fantastic on you. I liked the color blocking on the first top, but agree it doesn't quite work with the skirt. Your "fix" is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are seriously talented! I looked at those bundles and thought "Meh" I never thought they would look so great all together!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! hahaha! I was on pins and needles waiting to see what everyone else did!

      Delete
  23. You made the right choice switching patterns... speaking of which I need to go look those up ;)
    You really did a good job with those fabrics, some of them seem so crazy when they're still raw yardage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The bundle challenge is really something! :)

      Delete
  24. If I had the choice, I would have picked the top right bundle 'cause I love that combination. Though I wouldn't have gone for the one you got, I LURV what you did with it! Everything goes together so nicely.

    I had to laugh out loud and then think 'oh yeah' about your no-booty-adjustment-equals-no-high-low-hem. It's the reason we sew!

    Oh and I voted for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a totally different look for you - how interesting using a combination someone else has put together. And what a mad sewing frenzy - everything looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations, Nakisha! I enjoyed competing with you, and wish you the best of luck in the final challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh it's beautiful! Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nakisha, CONGRATS!!!! Way to go! The final three, here we come! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! I just saw that you won the bundle challenge, and made it to the FINAL 3!! YAY! So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on your win and moving on to the finals!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations on winning . . . again! I've been voting for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!