Friday, October 31, 2014

Back To Our Regular Programming!

:)

I have read every comment and wholeheartedly agree with you all. I love sewing and as a whole, I love the sewing community!!!! Let's get back at it!

FINISHED ITEMS!!

So, I've already written my October wrap-up and was going to post it today, but I have new stuff to show - woohoo!

When I got back in town from my work trip, I knew I needed to get started on my daughter's dress for her Sugar Skull/Dia de los Muertos costume. I couldn't make myself start it. Finally on Sunday evening I decided I had to sew something simple to jumpstart the mojo.

I had been meaning to do another version of my RTW copy top that I made for the FM contest and with 2 pieces and a banded hem, I decided that would work perfectly. I had this AMAZING rayon jersey from Fabric Mart and it was washed and ready to go. I assembled it on the serger and went to do a narrow hem on the neckline (the same as I finished the first one) and all hell broke loose. Suffice it to say that after removing stitches for the fourth time, I had all but given up, "But the fabric feels soooooo nice" I thought to myself, so I decided to bind the neckline. THEN, my sewing machine was happy sewing on it. WHEW. The inside isn't perfect and with all the ripping out I'm sure I stretched the neckline out a bit. I will have to add bra strap carriers - but that's okay. Because of the nightmare, I said, forget that noise, and banded the sleeves too. I *LOVE* it.


The fabric is very silky and luxurious feeling. WINNING.

So then I started her dress. This dress had the right shape and I thought it was SO cute. Why did I not say to myself, "Self, this has too many pattern pieces"


At least I was smart enough to leave off the pockets! This dress has 10 pattern pieces (x2) and pleats. It was Thursday evening and I was struggling to just get it finished. So it wasn't fitted much at all and some finishes leave much to be desired.  

I cut a straight size 12 and ended up doing 7/8" side seams. I used an invisible zipper instead of lapped. I chopped off like 4" from the length and did a top-stitched hem.

It's a little big in the upper body but she loved it. And I think it'll come in handy for her!



The dropped waist and pleats are fantastic! 

She wanted a peter pan collar but I just didn't have time to do so. I ended up bias binding the neckline.

I was off work today and I'm coming down with a cold so I was intent on relaxing today. I chilled for most of the morning and then decided I need to get sewing! :) I got myself too afraid ton start up on V1387 so I decided on 'easy knit project' -- again. Lazy.

Butterick 5789, view D. I sewed a size medium using my brand spanking new sweater knit from FabricMart.




There were instructions for finishing the collar such that you didn't see the stitching but I wasn't bothered by serger stitches so I just -zip- serged it in place. I did have to hem that entire, freaking, thing as a narrow hem. I cannot promise you that it's 5/8" and I cannot promise you that it's completely even...but it's done! :)


I don't like it buttoned though :-( It looks weird on me when it's closed. 

And I'm thinking the waterfall style just isn't for me. Maybe because I'm busty? I don't know, I realize I don't love my Vogue cardi with the waterfall and don't love this one either. 

There was no print matching attempts. Well, there was but I couldn't make it happen with the sizes of the pattern pieces and 2 yards of fabric. It doesn't bother me though. 

My pants are v.2.0 of Vogue 1411! :-D  I have a whole lot of this Maggie London ponte in black. I was smart this time and stocked up on it. It's such a good weight for so many things!


The stitching still looks super cool on all black!


38 comments:

  1. I love how you get a lot of sewing accomplished! The dress for your daughter is really nice!!! And I think the waterfall cape looks nice on you. That sweater knit is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhhh I love the cardi!! Also your RTW top from the challenge is what led me to make mine last month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ooh I like being an inspiration sometimes!!

      Delete
  3. I searched hi and lo (meaning I went to two JoAnn fabrics stores north and south of me) and could not find Vogue 1411. I want that pattern! I picked up a great, heavy denim-look double knit and want to make these pants!

    I never noticed that knit at Fabric Mart. You find the most interesting prints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha at "hi and lo"! Vogue is back on sale 11/6. Want me to check for you?? If I were less hooligan like I could trace it for you but nope. I cut my size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had that Simplicity pattern forever, and every time I pull it out I decide it has too many pieces. The one you made is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has SO many Beth! LOL! But you should try it, you know...later :-D

      Delete
  6. Your daughter's dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sewing effort there - you are being super productive! Your daughter's dress is great - I am now starting to keep more track of patterns that teenagers might like, and this one should definitely be on the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ooh yeah, you're closing in over there! And those fashionable girls of yours are going to have you sewing all the things for them!

      Delete
  8. I think waterfalls look good on hippy girls, but you have a more up and down figure (like me) - so I think you might be right about not wearing a waterfall collar.

    Your daughter's dress is cute - oh to be young again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! I totally agree. I think I am done collecting waterfall cardigan patterns.

      Delete
  9. I didn't comment on your previous post, but, I am gobsmacked by how much you have progressed in such a short time. And constantly impressed by the speed with which you sew things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your daughter's whole look I and the dress. So cool! I know what you mean with the waterfall sweaters... I'm not busty by any means but there is something about them I just am not super excited about when I wear them. Too bad, because the print on that sweater is killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy!

      yeah, I have worn it but around the house. It's SO cozy. It seems sad to make it just be an at home piece :(

      Delete
  11. Great job on your daughter's dress, and I think you look fantastic in your waterfall cardi! I really like that fabric. Super sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you really got your mojo back! Love your daughter's costume. That is one complicated pattern but it looks perfect for her depiction. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny!

      I needed a helper with that one!

      Delete
  13. Wow, you are on a roll. Nice pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the Cardi great fabric. I don't think it looks bad on you. and the top and dress were pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a fan of waterfall cardi's on myself, either. It just feels like too much bulk in that area, to me. Here's something funny (to me) on that note... I didn't recall them being in fashion at all in the 80's, but we hate-watched Jaws IV (from 1987) last night, and Lorraine Gary was wearing a waterfall jacket (with huge shoulder pads, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA!!!!!! I love it!

      I was crazy about them and kept trying to find "thee" pattern but bleh. I will go back to shawl collared ones!

      Delete
  16. Your daughter's dress is cute, I really like the pleated skirt and dropped waist too. Very nice! They great thing is that she's sure to get lots of wear out of it a an everyday dress too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yep! Especially since she's way in to layering. That will now be a great wardrobe staple!

      Delete
  17. Your daughter's look came together quite well! Your waterfall cardi looks awesome too -- love the fabric -- but I get what you mean about that style on bustier ladies. I'm not a 'rules' person when it comes to dressing, but I've found that bulky layers around my chest is not a look I like, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ebi!

      I like to break the rules too! I mean, that's what they're there for! ;-)

      Delete
  18. I swear, I heard angels singing when I saw those pants. MUST. HAVE. PATTERN.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've been busy! Your daughter's dress is just gorgeous! She has some growing room, and it should be useful for normal wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am way to busy :) Thanks so much! Totally a wardrobe staple!

      Delete
  20. These are all great! i love your daughter's make up with the dress too. And your silky top looks so soft even through the screen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!