Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Fabric Mart Fabricista Challenge: Week 3

I was pretty dang nervous when I got Julie's email about this week's challenge. I have always had a "mmhmm" toward the copying of RTW garments. But I was motivated by the prize for this week. fabric. free fabric.  I actually had INSTANT ideas. There were three options; my Converse One-Star jacket that I wear like crazy, a knit top that I have worn to death, and a jacket that I have loved since I bought it and can no longer fit.

The Converse jacket was choice number 1. But it had rivets and snaps and tons of details that I just couldn't copy, source materials for and sew in a few days. So I dug out the size 6 Jones New York jacket (you all KNOW I am not a 6 and haven't been since...at least since I got married!).

I was pretty excited because I thought this will be a piece of cake! There are princess seams! No lapels! easy, peasy! Famous Last Words.



So I started tracing and got the body traced off. I measured and graded them up to my size


I cut a muslin out of this sad poly fabric

It fit through the body well but the shoulders and armholes were HUGE. HUGE. i started pinching out fabric and what not and (holy crooked facing) then...then I set in the sleeve.
Fail. Fail. Fail. I have never sewn a 2 piece sleeve and it's hard to trace off and yeah. THAT didn't go well. I consulted resources but I just did not know how to fix it.

At this point it was 10 p.m. and I'd put a good 7 hours into this project and I had to throw in the towel or I would have nothing to show!

My husband tried to convince me to copy this Mossimo dress and I like the dress but I just don't need several lined dresses (I have been determined during this contest to sew things that I will actually wear afterwards.). Plus, the fabric that I'd gotten for the jacket from the wool remnant section at SR Harris was actually 100% poly. Booo! The original jacket is 50/50 linen/cotton and it feels pretty dreamy. So fail after fail.

So what do you do?

Plan B.

I wore this outfit to run errands and go to the salon on Saturday. Ironing the top, I saw all the past shine spots from a too-hot iron...the tiny pin-prick holes that have developed...the faded color and decided Plan B should have been Plan A all along.



I love this top.

I love the way it fits. I love the narrow waist and fitted hip. I love how it hugs but isn't tight. I decided I should totally own another (or two) of these so that I can retire this one!


Poor top. 

I used the same stabby pin method (Tech term Dina!) to copy the pattern.


The front is cut on the fold, the back has a seam. I made sure to fold it at center and traced off the front and back pieces. There are several ways to do this but I like the paper on top. This way I create a line with my pin oricks but also by indenting the paper. The curves were finished off with my French curve. 


I took advantage of the copying to shorten it a bit and to make the arms slightly larger near the hem. I also shaped the center back seam a bit so I would have less pooling.

I added 3/8" seam allowances with 5/8" at the neckline so I could do a "turn and stitch" like the original.


My pattern

What's that little triangle you say?


I NEVER cut rectangular pattern pieces. Instead I measure them and then use a ruler/rotary cutter to cut them out for more precision.

The original is rayon lycra knit and has that lovely springiness. I actually have two cuts of rayon lycra that I picked up recently from SR Harris and one is a teal blue. -But- I knew I was going to make Vogue 1411 out of this berry colored ponte and my fabric choice was sealed.

I used this "paint splatters" jersey from Fabric Mart. I picked it up on my last jumbo knit order and it was a perfect match to my pants fabric!!!

That's a happy lady!

LOVE IT!! Dare I say, MORE than the original!!!



Vs. the original:

TWINSIES!




My jersey doesn't have as good a recovery as the original rayon Lycra knit. 
The wider sleeve hems are nice because I can push it further up my arm now. 

Neckline finished with a twin needle. 


It's a great copy and again, I am so thankful for this contest to attempt something I've not had the guts to do!!! I have actually ordered another cut of fabric to make a solid one. 

I could not WAIT to wear this outfit! I don't know what's up with me and shades of red lately but I'm rollin with it!

I got off work Monday and ran home to pick up my daughter and change into this outfit. I'm at my son's football game here (hey, it's halftime!).
Well, minutes after this, one of the coaches came over and asked me to come with him.

huh?

On the last play, my son took a big hit, blacked out, came to(!!) but was dizzy and unstable. Several hours in the ER later, he's okay, the concussion is mild and he's benched for a week minimum or until the symptoms subside. WHEW! I think I sprinted across that field in record time!!

Now, don't tell anyone that I'm also wearing the shirt to work today with tan pants. Heh, I love it!!!!


Voting is open through tomorrow, 25 September!

**Pants are Vogue 1411. I will write a separate post reviewing the pattern.


40 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your son is ok.

    I like your top better than the original! It looks great with your pants too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your son is ok!!
    I love your top! Even better than the rtw one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So scary about your son! My husband drives race cars and got a concussion one night after a wreck. No fun at all.

    I love the top, I'd wear that in a heartbeat! I was also totally motivated by the fabric prize this round, hahaha. Plus patterns! (Like I need more?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! Very scary!

      Thanks! Ooh how could I forget the patterns?!?!!!! :)

      Delete
  4. Better then the original!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it. I want it. And I'm glad your baby is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! You know MamaBear was out!

      Delete
  5. That is so scary about your son. Glad to read he will be okay.

    The stabby pin method to the rescue! I love your top, very cute on you, and yep, like it more than the original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dina :)

      I'm sure it has a name but who has time for THAT?! :)

      Delete
  6. You made a great duplicate of your shirt! I love all the "twinsie" photos! Thanks for sharing your tips in copying RTW. I knew I would not be able to finish my own top in time, but I am filing your info away for a later date! I have a tunic sweater I want to try making. As for your son, I'm glad he is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! Can't wait to see your top!

      Delete
  7. Love your top - what a great job! I have several worn out T-shirts that I should try this with. I'm glad your son is okay. I well remember my brother getting knocked out at a football game -- not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! It wasn't bad at all, you should try it!

      No fun at all :/

      Delete
  8. Great top! (And your non-contest pants look great, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I am head over heels about those pants!

      Delete
  9. I like that top. Great layer piece. The pants are the perfect compliment to the top. Good lucky in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great outfit, and it looks like one that you'll wear over and over. I hope your son is okay- that must have been really frightening! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh! I am dying for this top! I made a similar one a couple of years ago. Now I am feeling the urge to make more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is FANTASTIC! It's one that I always forget how much I love it, until I put it on. Soooo glad I can now make one whenever I feel like it. Sewing is theee best! :)

      Delete
  12. Great job! I love the shirt and the pants

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great look...the top and the pants. Sorry about you fails with the copying, but that is how you learn..I sometimes don't want to learn new stuff, so it is good the contest is pushing your limits. You will be a better clothier for it.

    Man!!! I sure feel you with the son thing. They go through so much, it is just terrific you were there at the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! Agreed. I would have probably not tried to copy it if not for the contest.

      Oh my gosh I would've freaked all the way out if I weren't present and got that call. Goodness gracious.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad your son is okay.
    I love your top and love the combo with the trousers sorry pants. I'm definitely going to try this, starting with a sweatshirt with details I love but it's stained. So far I've only tried one panel in a princess seamed dress (I lost the pattern piece and had to replace the panel in the dress - read about it on my blog sewanneuk.blogspot.co.uk. My drafting was fine but......) . Your top ticks all the competition boxes and your personal must be able to wear it box. I haven't seen the others yet, but this will be hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anne!

      oooh, hope you copy your sweatshirt!!

      Delete
  16. OOOOH! I am sure that was a scary moment for you about your son, glad he is doing better.

    Great job on the RTW challenge top. It looks great on you and you did a good job in creating the pattern, I like you am mmmhhmmm on tracing RTW to make something. Glad you got past that, gives me some inspiration to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrifying Linda!
      Thanks so much. I definitely would say to start with something simple and see how it goes!

      Delete
  17. The top turned out beautifully! I'm with you-- it looks even better than the original. And what a great outfit! Love the pairing. I am so glad to hear that your son is okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin!

      Now we play the waiting game to make sure all is back to normal.

      Delete
  18. Oh goodness, that must have been quite the scare. I hope your son is doing well very soon.

    Your fabric and colours are awesome, love the top! I think it fits better than the original. Good luck with voting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am glad your son is OK. What a scare! Your top is so cute. Maybe you are liking red because it looks to fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, keep him out as long as you can. Brains need time to heal and he's only got one.

    I am the Bad Mom that pulled my kid out of lacrosse last spring (his sixth season, his second concussion). If they want him to play this year, they can hand feed him if he gets concussed again. "Got his bell rung" my a.....................

    ReplyDelete
  21. Totally agree with S J, keep him out until he has no symptoms. I evaluate kids post concussion at my clinic, so PLEASE get him an ImPACT test prior to any contact, keep him out of school even if he is having headaches or dizziness. Time is the only thing that heals concussion, and rest in the beginning is super important!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh I love that jacket! You can copy it at a later time though ;-)
    Love the tops, they look great on you!
    (Scary about your son, so glad he's ok!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!