Friday, September 12, 2014

Finished Item: Simplicity 1317 & Fabric Mart Fabricistas Challenge

More Selfless Sewing...

DD really loved the floral tee and dug around the stash to find another fabric for a second one. She came up with this blue tissue weight jersey and lace! I loved her idea and was pretty eager to sew it up.

The lace had 4-way stretch but was very narrow so I cut it cross-grain to the selvedge edge. I then hand basted(!) the lace and jersey layers together and constructed the top on the serger. I used easy knit tape in the hem and hemmed the two layers as one.

The lace was purchased from the remnant bin at Hancock for $1/yd! The tissue knit jersey was from FabricMart at $1/yd! Score!!!

She wore it on her birthday!

To school...

And out to dinner!

When I hit up SR Harris a couple of weeks ago, with the lovely Jess of The Sometimes Sewist


I picked up some fantastic fabrics and one of them was this insanely soft cotton knit with a fun cherry print.

We got some serious goodies! Cherry print is on the left.

DH asked me to make something for my daughter for her birthday, from him :) So I made another S1317 because, why not!


This cotton was so lovely. Seriously!! I didn't even need the knit tape to get a lovely twin-needled hem. So now the plan is to buy MORE of this and make a hoodie from M7026 for myself. Which I've decided is totally okay so...

I plan to use some more of that blue jersey to make a wearable muslin for the boy of KS3299.

If I can nail the fit on a tshirt pattern for him, it'd be pretty epic.

*******************************************************


FabricMart challenge  - Congrats to Beth of 110 Creations!!! She won 2 patterns from Grainline studios. Unfortunately, Jenese of Needles & Fashion was "sent home" this week :-/

However, this means, I am safe!!!!  Yay!

The judges liked my top but thought I could have gone a little further in my design.

Week 2 is all about FIT!!! We have to make a fitted garment in a solid colored fabric. I decided right away WHAT I wanted to make and pulled out some pattern possibilities. A partial muslin on one has been worked up -- again with the muslins! Sheesh! ;-) Hahaha!

Tune in Wednesday for the 7 finished looks. I'm *SO* excited!!

Week 1 winner & Week 2 challenge