Friday, September 12, 2014

Finished Item: Simplicity 1317 & Fabric Mart Fabricistas Challenge

More Selfless Sewing...

DD really loved the floral tee and dug around the stash to find another fabric for a second one. She came up with this blue tissue weight jersey and lace! I loved her idea and was pretty eager to sew it up.

The lace had 4-way stretch but was very narrow so I cut it cross-grain to the selvedge edge. I then hand basted(!) the lace and jersey layers together and constructed the top on the serger. I used easy knit tape in the hem and hemmed the two layers as one.

The lace was purchased from the remnant bin at Hancock for $1/yd! The tissue knit jersey was from FabricMart at $1/yd! Score!!!

She wore it on her birthday!

To school...

And out to dinner!

When I hit up SR Harris a couple of weeks ago, with the lovely Jess of The Sometimes Sewist


I picked up some fantastic fabrics and one of them was this insanely soft cotton knit with a fun cherry print.

We got some serious goodies! Cherry print is on the left.

DH asked me to make something for my daughter for her birthday, from him :) So I made another S1317 because, why not!


This cotton was so lovely. Seriously!! I didn't even need the knit tape to get a lovely twin-needled hem. So now the plan is to buy MORE of this and make a hoodie from M7026 for myself. Which I've decided is totally okay so...

I plan to use some more of that blue jersey to make a wearable muslin for the boy of KS3299.

If I can nail the fit on a tshirt pattern for him, it'd be pretty epic.

*******************************************************


FabricMart challenge  - Congrats to Beth of 110 Creations!!! She won 2 patterns from Grainline studios. Unfortunately, Jenese of Needles & Fashion was "sent home" this week :-/

However, this means, I am safe!!!!  Yay!

The judges liked my top but thought I could have gone a little further in my design.

Week 2 is all about FIT!!! We have to make a fitted garment in a solid colored fabric. I decided right away WHAT I wanted to make and pulled out some pattern possibilities. A partial muslin on one has been worked up -- again with the muslins! Sheesh! ;-) Hahaha!

Tune in Wednesday for the 7 finished looks. I'm *SO* excited!!

Week 1 winner & Week 2 challenge

23 comments:

  1. I love the shirt for your daughter! It looks fabulous! Happy belated birthday to her!! I'm so glad you are still "in" the Fabric mart competition. I really liked the variation on the Scout Tee you created. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of your daughter's tops. That cherry fabric is too cute. Good luck in your next challenge--I'm looking forward to see what you come up with! You've learned so much about fitting in the time that you've been sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the birthday fabric for your daughter's top. The twin needle finishing looks great also. Congratulations on your continuation in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Cherries! in love. I'd make everything in that !! I love lace tee too. And total score on that price, Wow! How sweet of DH to request something for DD!!! I think that is so cute. :) You should have suggested that he make some of it.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice twin needle stitching. Continued well wished on the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pressure is on - a fitted competition garment for you and a Tshirt for your teen son!!

    I know which one would cause me most anxiety.

    I liked what you did with the scout tee, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your top is soooo good! It's totally a perfect top to wear well past the photo shoot for the contest. I may have made many things last year for the competition I absolutely don't wear. Ever.

    I'm so excited to see the next round... I love geeking out and seeing a well fit garment!!!!!!

    The cherry t-shirt is soo juicy... sweet topstitching!!!!!! (So dorky, I know.)

    PS I was a Fabric Mart in Pennsylvania today LIVE and in person. I was there til my blood sugar dropped so low I couldn't make decisions anymore. I may have bought over 30 yds of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the perfect fabric shopping trip to me! ;)

      Delete
  8. Wow, both of your daughter's tops look really great. Both fabrics are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving the cherry print. I made a shirt and pair of panties from similar fabric (from Joann's) a few years back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. YAY for being safe and on to the next round!!!

      Delete
  10. great ideas to layer the tisssue jersey to give it more body. Cute top! You gave me an idea for some tissue jersey I have.Congrats on still being in the contest and good luck on the next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the lace on the T-shirt. Very on trend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you're doing for Selfless September! Great shot of you and your daughter in tops you made. :) Congrats on making it to the next round, and good luck! Those as someone mentioned above, fitting a shirt so a teen boy likes it .... whew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!

      I sent him some snapshots of fabric when I was out on Saturday and all I got was "it depends". OOoooooh. That's why he's getting solid blue! LOL!

      Delete
  13. I loved your top -- looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the second challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie!

      I am (SUPER!) excited to show this one!

      Delete
  14. I liked the top as well :). And I love the lace top that you have made for your lovely DD.

    And a fit challenge - bring on the muslins!! ( your favourite thing :)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Sarah Liz. Muslins are my new best friend. :)

      Delete
  15. Your daughter is so cute! You both look great in your tops!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! It was so fun to meet you and the shirt you made out of that cherry print turned out great. :)

    Next time you come through Madison and have some time to kill, let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!