I spent several hours on Saturday working away and then at around 5:15 I saw that my mom had tried to call me several times. When I called her back, she let me know that her mother had passed. I'm okay -- I did not have a relationship with her. Really only my mom and uncle did. But I am deeply saddened for my mom. My parents live in GA, my uncle (mom's only sibling) lives here, and their mother in Chicago. So they faced finding out over the phone and both being many hours away from her. I have a deeper, profound sadness that, even though she was a severely troubled person; she died at home alone, and no one knew.
My mom was just telling me early Saturday morning that she hadn't heard from her in a week and was worried. She asked a cousin (on my dad's side) to stop by and check on her. And that's when they found out.
My stress level hit the roof because my mom was so sad. So after getting a good cry out and getting lots of hugs from hubby and kids, I went to my next salve - sewing.
I knew better than to work on my contest project and was looking for an easy thing; which meant a knit. I had this idea for a black & white striped jersey knit top with black sleeves. I knew I didn't want a plan striped tee and started looking through my (ever growing) Burda magazine stash. I decided this tee was perfect with it's crazy asymmetrical-ness.
I cut a size 40 neck/shoulders/armhole and a 42 for the rest. After cutting the pattern pieces I realized this was an oversized style. I measured the front and back pattern pieces and the sleeve, and ended up not adding any seam allowances -OR- hem allowances. I used a 3/8" seam on the sleeves and 5/8" through the body. I did a 5/8" narrow hem and 3/4' sleeve hem. If you are tall; you will LOVE this pattern! LOL!
I cannot explain to you how the front drape works. It was definitely a "make it work" moment. There's slashing of your fabric (SCARY!), pleating, and then sewing it back together like a dart. I used the sewing machine for this part with a narrow zig-zag.
(blue is my marks for the pleats...)
After sewing the shoulders and attaching the sleeves, I slipped it on and decided a 5/8" side seam would work. So I did that right on the serger.
Know what's really funny?! I made zero attempts to match the stripes while cutting. Zero. Zilch. Nada.
When I was pinning it I realized it was really close. so I was able to mostly match. Both sides are off right at the underarm but I figured that was less important. The pleated area is a little off too. But a you can image it was HARD matching that side!
The striped fabric is from FabricMart. It showed up yesterday afternoon while I was sewing my red dress. Along with these:
Pink(!) and Emerald poly boucle, Navy striped ponte, b/w jersey, Sandalwood jersey
The black fabric came from either Hancock or Fabric.com; Not sure. It has a subtle stripe too and is slightly sheer.
The hem is really curvy so a narrow hem was easiest.
Sewing reflections; when I attached the neckband it was beautiful...except on the left side in back. It was wavy and standing away from the body. DRATS! I unpicked the serger stitches (whine) from the left shoulder seam to about 1" on the other side of the center seam of the band. I cut off 1" from the neck binding and seamed it back together, and resewed it.
I was so proud of myself for not making this out to be a big deal and just DOING it so that I'd be happier with my work.
Lastly, I am watching the Bears v. Packers and HANDSEWING!!! I am doing a catch stitch on my dress by hand. And it's cool. Yes. I said it. Me, who swore off the evils of hand sewing...I am enjoying this more than I thought. (Shout out again to Fashion Sewing Blog -- her tutorials and explanations are just the best for me!)