Tuesday, September 30, 2014

FabricMart Fabricista Challenge Week 4: Lady in Red!


This week we were tasked with creating a RED DRESS! I didn't have a red dress before now, do you??

I knew right away I wanted to try this pattern. I even wanted to quilt the center panels! (Thanks Jess for knocking some sense into my head!).  I had 2 red fabrics in stash; this moleskin and an ITY.

After making several woven garments lately, I went and made some adjustments right away -- I did a 3/4" swayback adjustment, 1/2" narrow shoulder adjustment, and removed 3/8" from the center back grading to nothing at the waistline.

I made up a muslin which looked pretty danged good!





As expected, too tight across the back :-p and a little too much fabric at the armhole (I have it pinned out already), but otherwise pretty good.

I was trucking right along and ended up having to redo the pivot point like 6 times on one piece! The first one went in effortlessly and then the second one was all bad. Same with the back. Put the first one in; then all hell broke loose. BUT I GOT IT!



I quit the dress for the morning, to return later. I swear, no matter how much of a 'jump start' I get on these challenge projects, I ended up sewing like a crazy person on Sunday.


shield your eyes, it is bright!! :)



The only dislike I have is that with the flange sleeve, you finish off the armhole with bias binding - fine. But then they have you topstitch. This looked pretty terrible and I had to rip it out. I should have known better.

I hand sewed the bindings in place and catch stitched the hem by hand too. I am really surprised by how soothing I found this.




Otherwise it is a really well done pattern.  Also, I wish I would have interfaced the flange sleeves. Dang it. Also, I forgot to interface my zipper area. I was really worried, but this fabric handled well and there are no lumps


We had to give the 'story' behind our dresses as well;

My red dress is getting paired with black accessories for a night out. 

My friends and I have a fun night planned; dinner, drinks and a show! We are donning our sassiest well-fitting sheath dresses and hitting the town! 

************

Unfortunately, Beth of 110 Creations had to withdraw from the contest :/ She had an emergency and needs to, understandably, focus solely on her and her family right now. 

So while there will be no eliminations this round, there will be a winner. So head on over to the Fabric Mart blog and VOTE! (for me I hope!)