Tuesday, September 30, 2014

FabricMart Fabricista Challenge Week 4: Lady in Red!


This week we were tasked with creating a RED DRESS! I didn't have a red dress before now, do you??

I knew right away I wanted to try this pattern. I even wanted to quilt the center panels! (Thanks Jess for knocking some sense into my head!).  I had 2 red fabrics in stash; this moleskin and an ITY.

After making several woven garments lately, I went and made some adjustments right away -- I did a 3/4" swayback adjustment, 1/2" narrow shoulder adjustment, and removed 3/8" from the center back grading to nothing at the waistline.

I made up a muslin which looked pretty danged good!





As expected, too tight across the back :-p and a little too much fabric at the armhole (I have it pinned out already), but otherwise pretty good.

I was trucking right along and ended up having to redo the pivot point like 6 times on one piece! The first one went in effortlessly and then the second one was all bad. Same with the back. Put the first one in; then all hell broke loose. BUT I GOT IT!



I quit the dress for the morning, to return later. I swear, no matter how much of a 'jump start' I get on these challenge projects, I ended up sewing like a crazy person on Sunday.


shield your eyes, it is bright!! :)



The only dislike I have is that with the flange sleeve, you finish off the armhole with bias binding - fine. But then they have you topstitch. This looked pretty terrible and I had to rip it out. I should have known better.

I hand sewed the bindings in place and catch stitched the hem by hand too. I am really surprised by how soothing I found this.




Otherwise it is a really well done pattern.  Also, I wish I would have interfaced the flange sleeves. Dang it. Also, I forgot to interface my zipper area. I was really worried, but this fabric handled well and there are no lumps


We had to give the 'story' behind our dresses as well;

My red dress is getting paired with black accessories for a night out. 

My friends and I have a fun night planned; dinner, drinks and a show! We are donning our sassiest well-fitting sheath dresses and hitting the town! 

************

Unfortunately, Beth of 110 Creations had to withdraw from the contest :/ She had an emergency and needs to, understandably, focus solely on her and her family right now. 

So while there will be no eliminations this round, there will be a winner. So head on over to the Fabric Mart blog and VOTE! (for me I hope!)

28 comments:

  1. WOW! Red is your colour! You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Red is a great color on you. What pattern is this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh. I want a red dress now. Very pretty and classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your invisible zipper is perfect! And the dress is lovely. The link didn't work for me but I'm heading over to vote. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow, what a dress! I absolutely LOVE this color on you, and the shape and fit of the dress are perfect! Try not to get hit on too much when you go out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! You are rocking this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always loved a red dress and yours is gorgeous and looks really good on you! Have fun on your night out! Oh to be young again! Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Nakisha! You nailed the fit perfectly! I almost chose to make this pattern too, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are secretly twinsies!!! :-) Purple anniversary dresses, we both copied knit tops and now almost the same pattern!!!! I would have found that hilarious actually!

      Delete
  9. That is lovely on you. Hand stitching is soothing. I think I will find something to hand stitch soon! You did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! It really looks fabulous on you. Perfect for tearing it up on your night on the town. :D Going to vote right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your dress! You look smokin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! It came out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Now that is a red dress! You look amazing! I don't own a red dress, but I think you did a nice job with the challenge, and the fit really is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forget painting the town red, you won't need to in this dress :):):)

    It looks gorgeous Nakisha, I agree with all comments above.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous dress! Great job on the construction.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful dress! Red looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got my vote! Even the muslin looked good! Nice of you to share that it took 6 tries to get that certain seam done right...we sewers all need to know that these things happen and sticking to it really does produce great results.

    ReplyDelete
  18. sounds like that movie Girls night out lol! love the red dress!

    Helen

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty dress! That's a great looking red on you. I like how you've accessorized with the black shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a great shade of red for you. Your friends will have to step up their fashion game to keep up with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfect dress. Great job, and the fit is great.. Red looks pretty on you.. I just went and voted.. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG--what a great dress! You look fantabulous in it and what a great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations, Nakisha! Well deserved- you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!