Thursday, September 25, 2014

Finished Item: Vogue 1411

When the last Vogue batch of patterns were released, I was surprised by how many were on my "must have" list.

Vogue 1411 was very near the top!

I thought the seaming was amazing and even though I have two seamed Vogue pants already (hey, I am a collector!), I still had to have them.


I am learning NOT to be afraid of lots of seams! Seaming = shaping and these pants are a near-perfect fit!

I wanted to make the legging - view B. My size has a finished leg width of 13 1/4". View A has a 18 1/2" width. I will probably make view A at some point though as I love this image on the pattern


I always flat pattern measure; it's my way! I decided that size E would work best but holy buckets that would be A LOT of negative ease at the hip. So I ended up cutting all the lower leg pieces in a size E and cut the upper front/back with an E at the crotch and a F at the outseam. I did a pivot and slide at the waist to remove 5/8" on both front and back. The F had a finished waist of 38"; my waist is 34" or so. I don't need 4" of ease on an elastic waist pant!

I stitched these up on my sewing machine, trimmed the seam allowances down by 1/4" and THEN I pressed them open. 

The instructions have you stitch a seam then topstitch. No thanks. I stitched all my seams and then went back and topstitched them with a twin needle. I do like the wider stitching on the above sample though so maybe I'll do that in a lighter fabric.

I ended up doing 1/2" side seams and view B are ankle pants. Just know that. I had to use a 3/4" hem (it calls for 1 1/4") as they were JUST at my ankles unhemmed. But it's okay with the straight version. I would've been a little miffed about that on a boot-cut. orrrr I could make sure I measure the length ;-)



They take a slight dip at CB; will add 1/2" or 3/4" to the back rise.


The seaming is SO COOL!!!! 




The first leg seam meets at both the inseam and sideseam on front and back so make sure you stitch those carefully.

They instructed to add elastic to the lower curve of the crotch seam; I have never seen that and don't know that I'd add it again. It's weird when wearing the pants. I did like the tip about anchoring the elastic at the side seam (I also did this with the twin needle).

Oooh and after finishing I went back and did a twin needle stitch at the waist seam; I really love all this topstitching! :)

I'm loving the pants and these WILL be made in black and/or grey as soon as I get my grubby little hands on a decent ponte! (This knit came from SR Harris warehouse here in Minneapolis).

Oh and a printed pair too! I've been wanting to channel my inner Making the Flame and make some fun, colorful printed leggings. I don't run but I think these would make fantastic running pants too!

32 comments:

  1. Those are great pants! I too never need a new patterns but... I must get that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I think you should get it! :-p

      Delete
  2. Great pants! With all that seaming, are you still finding them comfortable to wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I am not finding them uncomfortable at all. They're still super soft on the inside.

      Delete
  3. These are very nice! They fit you wonderfully, and the first thing I thought with those awesome seams is "those would make great running pants!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! Love these. Really good to know on the length. And agreed: they would make great running tights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KEEP reaching for them. Definitely need another pair!

      Delete
  5. Great job on these pants.. The color is beautiful as is the top.. Love the seaming on them..[and I noticed...what straight top stitching you did.. FANTASTIC..]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I remember when I avoided top stitching cause I wasn't that good at it! :)

      Delete
  6. those are really nice. going to add that to my list

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on the topstitching. I love the color. But, really? what is that elastic thing all about. I need to get that pattern out and look it up. Almost sounds like a little rucking or an attempt to give a simi-butt lift. mmmmm, idk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so confused!! And it looks weird when the pants are off (fine when they're on...)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful topstitching! They fit you beautifully. Love the color too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you did a fantastic job. Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elastic on the lower crotch? I've never heard of THAT before!
    I like how you made them in a light color so the seaming could actually be seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting this point, Kyle. I had just picked out some black ponte to make these, saw your comment and realized "Why do all of that work that won't even be seen?!"

      Delete
  11. Love the color. You can never have to many patterns!! Is there a zipper or is it elastic waistband??

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look lovely on you, the seams are so flattering. The whole outfit is great, good start to your Fall season :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! I am excited for fall!

      Delete
  13. My ears are burning! Great pants, they go perrrrrfectly with your shirt -- isn't it great when makes work out that way? Looking forward to seeing the crazy pair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great! I love all the seaming and topstitching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a ton of topstitching! But it does look great with all those seams. Great color too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!