Thursday, September 25, 2014

Finished Item: Vogue 1411

When the last Vogue batch of patterns were released, I was surprised by how many were on my "must have" list.

Vogue 1411 was very near the top!

I thought the seaming was amazing and even though I have two seamed Vogue pants already (hey, I am a collector!), I still had to have them.


I am learning NOT to be afraid of lots of seams! Seaming = shaping and these pants are a near-perfect fit!

I wanted to make the legging - view B. My size has a finished leg width of 13 1/4". View A has a 18 1/2" width. I will probably make view A at some point though as I love this image on the pattern


I always flat pattern measure; it's my way! I decided that size E would work best but holy buckets that would be A LOT of negative ease at the hip. So I ended up cutting all the lower leg pieces in a size E and cut the upper front/back with an E at the crotch and a F at the outseam. I did a pivot and slide at the waist to remove 5/8" on both front and back. The F had a finished waist of 38"; my waist is 34" or so. I don't need 4" of ease on an elastic waist pant!

I stitched these up on my sewing machine, trimmed the seam allowances down by 1/4" and THEN I pressed them open. 

The instructions have you stitch a seam then topstitch. No thanks. I stitched all my seams and then went back and topstitched them with a twin needle. I do like the wider stitching on the above sample though so maybe I'll do that in a lighter fabric.

I ended up doing 1/2" side seams and view B are ankle pants. Just know that. I had to use a 3/4" hem (it calls for 1 1/4") as they were JUST at my ankles unhemmed. But it's okay with the straight version. I would've been a little miffed about that on a boot-cut. orrrr I could make sure I measure the length ;-)



They take a slight dip at CB; will add 1/2" or 3/4" to the back rise.


The seaming is SO COOL!!!! 




The first leg seam meets at both the inseam and sideseam on front and back so make sure you stitch those carefully.

They instructed to add elastic to the lower curve of the crotch seam; I have never seen that and don't know that I'd add it again. It's weird when wearing the pants. I did like the tip about anchoring the elastic at the side seam (I also did this with the twin needle).

Oooh and after finishing I went back and did a twin needle stitch at the waist seam; I really love all this topstitching! :)

I'm loving the pants and these WILL be made in black and/or grey as soon as I get my grubby little hands on a decent ponte! (This knit came from SR Harris warehouse here in Minneapolis).

Oh and a printed pair too! I've been wanting to channel my inner Making the Flame and make some fun, colorful printed leggings. I don't run but I think these would make fantastic running pants too!