Wednesday, October 15, 2014

FabricMart Fabricista - FINAL Challenge!!!

The FINAL challenge!!!!! I'm crazy excited to still be in! If you've been following and cheering us on (and voting for me!), I would like to extend a big, huge thank you!

From Julie:
"Throughout time, fashion and art have come hand in hand. You couldn't have one without the other or we would look really boring. This week's challenge I'm asking you to pick an artwork, an art movement, an architectural design, etc. and create a garment or outfit that is reminiscent of what you chose."

I love art. But the artworks and art movements that I love aren't necessarily translatable to wearable clothes for me :) Throughout this challenge I've made sure to create garments that I will really wear. Some of my favorite movements are expressionist and graffiti art. I had some ideas but I knew that I wouldn't be 100% into it (although I may create that bomber jacket inspired by graffiti at some point!).

Way back when, I wanted to become an architect and I still love architecture (To be a smallish city, Minneapolis has some amazing architecture!). My absolute favorite architectural design style is Minimalism. I knew that was the right direction for me to take. 

Where some may see minimalist architecture as stark & cold, I see sleek & clean. To me, minimalism involves a modern yet comfortable vibe; a sophisticated easiness that manages to be both simple and interesting.



Translating that to fashion, I immediately wanted a chic palette of neutrals. I knew I wanted a look that had crisp lines, little adornment and an interesting simplicity.



I decided I had to have a pants/top/jacket combo. I also decided I HAD to sew from stash (Fabrics, zippers, buttons, everything is from stash)! 


The jacket is Vogue 8932. This jacket can be sewn wrong sides together, with seams trimmed for an exposed look or right sides together and top stitched. I didn't want the exposed seams with this stiff fabric but would love to sew it with a boiled wool or quality fleece! Fabric here is my "jacketing fabric" from FabricMart. I bought 3 yards of it for $2.40 and then they had it in the $1 section and I bought 3 more! For a total of $10.20 I have made 3 jackets! S2153 for my daughter and me and now this one. SCORE.

I went for a size 18 based on finished measurements and knowing I wanted to be able to fit it over clothing. It fits so well. The back has such interesting seam lines and I LOVE the shaped hem. 

Now, someone mentioned that the back pieces don't fit together. Oh, they do, but you have to ease the CRAP out of it! 




While I wouldn't automatically categorize this as an "advanced" project, there are certainly many opportunities for frustration if you're inexperienced. Pivoting is hard, yo. (You have to be a Breaking Bad fan to fully appreciate that 'yo'). The neckline pivot is much nicer (you'll have to take my word for it) but still not perfect. The topstitching is niiiiice. This fabric takes topstitching so well. I wish I had 10 more yards of it for future projects.


The facing is attached wrong sides together and edge stitched. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!

This jacket was tough to sew but again, I pushed myself and that made me proud!

**The jacket has no closure and really doesn't need one...I'm thinking of making toggles**




Either a single toggle with the gold one or two with the bar-like buttons. I have some faux leather and black cording in the stash. I didn't get a chance to get them done in time for the submission deadline but will post a photo later once I decide!



The top is Simplicity 1364, a Vintage Jiffy pattern. I knew I'd like the bateau neckline on me and am becoming a fan of dropped shoulders. 

After whipping up a quick muslin (I admit it, muslining really doesn't take that long and is valuable), I lowered my bust dart just a tad, took a tuck at the armhole (like 1/4") and added 3/8" to the center back because it couldn't zip! And here there's excess fabric. Eh. 

I feel like the sleeves are a little weird. Like they fit great if you're just going to hold your arms straight down.

Fabric is something I have no clue about. I think I got it from Hancock or JoAnn but I'm not sure. It is pretty stiff and would've made up a better as a dress. But I LIKE it so...that's what counts. I will definitely sew this one again!


The pants...oh the pants!!!! Vogue 9032

I wanted this pattern so bad when it came out. It has butt princess seams!!! I found a similar weight suiting remnant in the stash and sewed up a knee-length muslin (limited by fabric length) and was amazingly surprised at how well they fit.

VOGUE KICKED BUTT WITH THIS ONE!

I needed to make my normal pants adjustment - removed 3/4" from the front rise and add it to the back but no weird excess fabric at the thigh, no crazy bagging at the knees...ahhhhhh. I am making these AGAIN.

What I will do differently next time; fuse a small strip of interfacing to my pockets as soon as I cut them. I think I have saggy pockets because they got stretched during sewing/pressing/etc. And I will add a smidge at the waist. Like 3/8" to the front pattern piece. It's just a tiny bit strained.

What's super interesting about this pattern is the 2.5" hem allowance. I was all WHAT THE WHAT!? But I love that deep hem. It really helps them hang well. I catch-stitched the hem by hand on these and made the insides as nice as I could.

(I always forget to trim my zipper if I do it this way...normally I shorten it from the top)


And my boots. Love <3

Thank you so much to everyone who has been encouraging during this challenge. It has been ridiculously fun!!!

Voting is open Thursday and Friday!

VOTE HERE

56 comments:

  1. Awesome interpretation of minimalism -- you look smokin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I love all three pieces! So cute and flattering on you! I have to check out all three patterns! You rocked it and how did you have time to make 3 things???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue!

      By being a crazy sewing lady and totally neglecting my family on Saturday and Sunday! LOL!

      I knew I had to have those pants finished by Saturday morning. Saturday was the top (and cutting the jacket). I spent ALL.DAY.SUNDAY. on that jacket. And finished Monday.

      And promptly declared "I'm not sewing until I get back in town (10/25)!" lol!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, what Sue said--three pieces! I was like, I hope I can get my one done in time. LOL.

      Delete
  3. Yay for the last challenge! You can get back to your regular sewing ;-)
    I love the minimalist look too. Your outfit certainly captured it beautifully. The shape of the jacket is perfect with those pants. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin!!

      I have such a long list too! :-O

      Delete
  4. So chic! That jacket is amazing-- such great lines, and it looks awesome on you! You definitely captured that minimalist, sleek and clean feel with this look. Great job!!! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I love this outfit. It really interprets your inspiration so well. What a great outfit- in my book, you're already a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What?! I can't stand it... I LOVE this ensemble!!!!!! So chic, classy and it just looks really good in you. What lovely work. Again. I love the architectural concept. The very best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Sleek, clean, and well executed. Awesome job!!! Go Nakisha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, lady. I love mid-century architecture, so the look you are going for I get and love! :)

    I did something mid-century, too, but *definitely* not minimalism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interpretation and very classy look. Love the jacket especially.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your interpretation too! That jacket is so awesome!!!!!! You have really stepped it up with this whole contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa!

      Who knew? I'm obviously so happy that I did it!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I will take that as a big, huge, honkin compliment!!!!! I love everything you do!

      Delete
    2. It was meant as a compliment :-)

      I should have added: Your work is amazing.

      Delete
  12. OMG, I LOVE your outfit. You completely nailed this challenge. And I'd never noticed that pattern with the butt princess seams, so I think I need that now, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I never knew that butt princess seams would make me so overjoyed! ;-)

      Delete
  13. Complex pieces, all in one weekend- amazing!!! They all look so good as well. I love the lot, so now three more patterns on my list, sigh. I shall blame you for my breaking of my no more patterns rule!!! (mind you, I seem to break it regularly without your help, so don't take the blame to heart :):):)!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Happy to be an enabler - I'm good at it! ;)

      Thanks so much Sarah Liz! I kicked my own butt but it worked!

      Delete
  14. Wonderful outfit. Those pants look amazing on you. And that jacket...wow! Best of luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!, those three pieces are great together. I totally skipped over that pants pattern when it came out because of the front pleats but I think I might have to give it a second consideration after seeing your version. Did you make view C, without the pleats? The fit is amazing, well done! And good luck in the voting process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made view C and want to try view A. I have some decent but super cheap suiting I picked up from FM awhile ago. I'm going to give them a shot! :)

      Delete
  16. Holy shit! Pardon my swear; I couldn't hold it in any longer. I passed on BOTH vogue patterns because I was all 'meh.' Now that I've seen you model both, I have to get them - side pockets and all.

    Rock that shiz!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha! You always make me smile!

      Thanks L!!!!

      Delete
  17. You look so chic in this! This is my favorite thing that you have made so far. I will be buying both the jacket and pants patterns, and completely imitating this look. And you know, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Best of luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I bet you would rock this! And your pivots would be nice! Hahaha! ;-)

      Delete
  18. I like the entire outfit. On point with your chosen theme.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You absolutely, positively nailed it!!!!!!!!! I love the whole outfit!!!!! Excellent job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks AMAZING! I love the translation of inspiration to your final ensemble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your outfit. Good luck in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You made a lovely outfit! It is sooo chic. This is one of my favorites throughout this challenge. It looks really good on you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can most definitely see the inspiration in your jacket and pant ensemble. Very sleek!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Seriously majorly great interpretation!!! Love the pieces, and they're so wearable -- good luck again. :) Following along your contest adventures has been awesome, I'm so glad you threw your hat in the ring.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a really great outfit Nakisha. Love that jacket, and you have certainly ticked all the boxes for the competition. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on 2nd place Nakisha! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm way late catching up on blog posts, but just wanted to say this outfit is amazing, and you look fabulous in it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!