Sunday, April 28, 2013

Another Sewing Filled Weekend

As you may know, I've been learning to knit. I've become enamored with knitting in short order. I spend tons of time (more than I'd care to admit) browsing awesomeness on Ravelry.

I've been focused on making tops for work as it was an area that was lacking in my wardrobe. Now I need pants and have two pair cut and ready to sew. But I wanted to make something FUN this weekend.

So, I cut S2406, view B, in a blue/black/white animal print (What animal?) charmeuse. I think that the shape is simple enough to handle a busy print. I haven't sewed it yet.

I bought some black stretch (cotton twill?) fabric from SR harris for $5/yd on one of my trips there. I bought 2.5 yards of it and was able to cut a top and skirt from it - SCORE!

Since I needed a fun and cute sew, I decided to do the peplum thing. I don't know why I waited so long! I had NL6130 in my stash. It was probably the 2nd pattern I bought. It looked complicated so I kept putting off sewing it. It was an easy sew. Not fast necessarily, but easy.

Now, I'm not much of a muslin'er. I should have made a muslin and I'm not willing to consider this a muslin - as in throw away. I like it too much. I cut a size 14 and ended up taking 3/4" side seams and trimming an inch off the back before adding the zipper...the finished bust measurement on the 14 was 40" and on the 12 was 38".  So I ended up with a finished bust of ~38.5" and my full bust is 38.5". The amount of stretch was more than I expected so zero ease was perfect.

I do have gaping around the neckline that I'm wondering if I can take two small pleats to fix it. I could probably unpick the shoulder seams and trim it but I'm scared of messing it up.



Gaping at the neck and also slightly too big around the armscye



But SO much potential!


I also cut V8672, The drawing made it look more pencil skirt-ish than it is. It sewed up very straight. I didn't want a straight skirt. I wanted a fitted pencil skirt! I sewed a 16 and it looked like a cute skirt for work or church. I didn't want a work skirt and I don't go to church. So I took in another 1/2". Still not to my liking. So I tried pegging it, but didn't do a good job and got some bubbling after the hip. I'll have to try to fix that. 

But together....eeeeeeee! I like. I like it alot.