Saturday, April 13, 2013

Finished Item - McCall's 6519 and Simplicity 2892

These projects were finished last week, I don't know why I didn't blog about them!

McCall's 6519 - A 'wardrobe' kind of pattern. I don't care much for the dress and wonder if the blazer is too boxy for me (I'm shaped like a box already). The pleats on the pants...I don't know about either. Hey, when the pattern is $1 I only need to like *1* item for me to buy it!


The top is meant to hang away from the body and I would have cut a 14 and graded to a 16 after the bust. However, this pattern had the 14 and 16 on separate sheets and I didn't feel like tracing. Yeah...I really like the top!

I also learned a new skill - sewing in bias binding! Woohoo!

It's funny, I jumped into sewing with no reservations. I made buttonholes the first day I used my machine. I've inserted zippers. I've worked on pants and even got one pattern to fit relatively well (New Look 6189 and Simplicity 2700 are on their way!). BUT - I have feared linings and bias bindings. WHY?!?!?!

This was such an easy process to get such a high reward. It makes things look really really pretty! My Pattern Review





The challis was a dream to sew! I want to buy a ton of this stuff and sew everything with it! EVERYTHING! I'm wearing this to work on Monday!

************************************************

Simplicity 2892 - swoooooooon. I fell in love with this top when I saw Regan's version. It is such a simple but sweet and feminine top. I messed up the band but I was able to fix it so it's still pretty on the outside even if it's a little scary on the inside. I didn't interface the waistband because, I picked up the smaller pattern envelope for some reason. I usually cut tops 14/16 and the larger size is 14-22. I can only assume they didn't have it when I went in. Eh. I'd cut it a little larger or maybe cut more generous SA because it's not "right" at the pleats. They aren't smooth when it's on. OMG and I couldn't get the blousing right - or I was too sleepy to care. I'm totally gonna rock it though! 

100% Rayon (Tropical Weight) from Hancock Fabrics. I love it! Didn't use much fabric at all, the only reason that it required a bit of fabric is that the waistband (front and back) are cut on the bias.



Excuse the 'crazy face'. My daughter was being a stinker and didn't warn or anything. When I posted it (rushing to get it in for Faye's Sew Along!), I didn't have cording for the buttons. I have it now. I am probably going to wear this one for my company photo next week!

I am quickly crossing over. I see the place for poly blends in fabric options but I've gotten my hands on rayon, wool crepe, cotton shirting, etc and yeah, I prefer it already :)

P.S. - The Brother 1034D is ordered and on it's way to me!!!!!!!


4 comments:

  1. Both nice tops, Mrs.Smith!

    Congrats on the serger!! You'll love using one! I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YES, & the teal looks fab on you!! Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And thanks for responding to my questions on your blog!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!