Thursday, April 25, 2013

Finished Item: McCall's 6751

So, when the summer McCall's were released, I was tweaking. I wanted them and I wanted them badly.  I needed to sew tonight (yes, I'm a junkie) and decided to cut M6751 and NL6130.

The McCall's top only has 2 pattern pieces - sweeeeet! The New Look pattern has, err, a few more. I passed on the facings. I hate facings. I hate them. And the fabric I'm using is a bit heavier, has a bit more body and I'm going to use bias tape as neck and armhole bindings and I probably won't do the tie.

I thought I could get them both cut tonight and at least get 6130 partially sewed. Well...

The McCall's top sewed up in 2 seconds but the &#*)(*)$ bias binding around the entire top...oy vey! It took F-O-R-E-V-E-R to pin it and sew it and iron it and sew it. I didn't hem it and it's totally a belly top :)

I considered this a muslin anyway...this is leftover fabric from the dress I made before.


Front view. The shoulders are designed to sit a little wide.


Side view. It just kinds of hangs from the bust. I should have cut it larger.


The keyhole isn't perfect. Sewing round/ed seams is hard.


ENDLESS bias binding! LOL!!!

PR Review:
Pattern Description: 

Misses Tops

Pattern Sizing:

XS-M (I cut a small)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I love that it is a very simple construction that looks more complicated. I hated doing the bias binding in that continuous (never ending) loop! 

This top is REALLY short. As usual, the modeled shot is not what it seems. I have a short waist and it's supposed to have a 5/8" narrow hem. I don't think it'll meet the top of my bottoms.

Fabric Used:

Fabric leftover from S2443. Some type of slightly stretchy poly woven.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I didn't want the full amount of ease in the Medium (says 36-38 bust with finished bust of 42" and finished waist of 45"). I should have cut the medium and taken slightly larger side seams. 'tis okay. It's an easy pattern to make larger (considering I cut the small!).

I haven't hemmed it yet. I was hoping to make this a wearable muslin but I'm not sure yet.

I also had a slightly tough time with the roundness of the keyhole. It's not perfect.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I want to sew it again in some "nicer" fabric maybe?

Conclusion: 

I want to LOVE this top. I'll definitely try it again. I had a sewing bug and needed a quick project for the night. It was really easy to sew but the bias binding was time consuming.

4 comments:

  1. I was dying to buy this pattern at JoAnn's during the McCall's sale this past weekend. When I finally went, they had sold out. :( It looks absolutely adorable on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :)

    I couldn't find it at JoAnn and then lo and behold, I randomly stopped in Hancock last weekend and they were on sale there too.

    $1.88 right now online, $1.50 if you're a BMV member!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got this pattern yesterday at Hobby Lobby for $0.99. I can't wait to put this on deck. I love the finished look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this one. I made the other view (on the envelope in red) and I'm not liking it as much. It was cute on my (SUPER skinny) 14 year old! I'll finish the neck binding soon and get pics of us both in it.

    The read one is looser fitting and I think quite frankly, my boobs are too big for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!