Thursday, April 25, 2013

Finished Item: McCall's 6751

So, when the summer McCall's were released, I was tweaking. I wanted them and I wanted them badly.  I needed to sew tonight (yes, I'm a junkie) and decided to cut M6751 and NL6130.

The McCall's top only has 2 pattern pieces - sweeeeet! The New Look pattern has, err, a few more. I passed on the facings. I hate facings. I hate them. And the fabric I'm using is a bit heavier, has a bit more body and I'm going to use bias tape as neck and armhole bindings and I probably won't do the tie.

I thought I could get them both cut tonight and at least get 6130 partially sewed. Well...

The McCall's top sewed up in 2 seconds but the &#*)(*)$ bias binding around the entire top...oy vey! It took F-O-R-E-V-E-R to pin it and sew it and iron it and sew it. I didn't hem it and it's totally a belly top :)

I considered this a muslin anyway...this is leftover fabric from the dress I made before.


Front view. The shoulders are designed to sit a little wide.


Side view. It just kinds of hangs from the bust. I should have cut it larger.


The keyhole isn't perfect. Sewing round/ed seams is hard.


ENDLESS bias binding! LOL!!!

PR Review:
Pattern Description: 

Misses Tops

Pattern Sizing:

XS-M (I cut a small)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I love that it is a very simple construction that looks more complicated. I hated doing the bias binding in that continuous (never ending) loop! 

This top is REALLY short. As usual, the modeled shot is not what it seems. I have a short waist and it's supposed to have a 5/8" narrow hem. I don't think it'll meet the top of my bottoms.

Fabric Used:

Fabric leftover from S2443. Some type of slightly stretchy poly woven.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I didn't want the full amount of ease in the Medium (says 36-38 bust with finished bust of 42" and finished waist of 45"). I should have cut the medium and taken slightly larger side seams. 'tis okay. It's an easy pattern to make larger (considering I cut the small!).

I haven't hemmed it yet. I was hoping to make this a wearable muslin but I'm not sure yet.

I also had a slightly tough time with the roundness of the keyhole. It's not perfect.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I want to sew it again in some "nicer" fabric maybe?

Conclusion: 

I want to LOVE this top. I'll definitely try it again. I had a sewing bug and needed a quick project for the night. It was really easy to sew but the bias binding was time consuming.