Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sewing FAIL. Butterick 5613 -aka- The Giant Green Skirt

I stalk my blog role. No seriously...I check on my favorite bloggers several times per day. Today, I read a great post by Cation Designs, Stop Blogging Your Perfect Sewing Life. Which was inspired by a different post about people blogging their perfect lives (via Instagram, FB, etc).

Not a single sewist - beginner, advanced, couture, etc - has zero fails. Has zero wadders. Has zero evil patterns or fabrics.

Then, I read Joyatee's post today about her fail with a pattern. And it reminded me of my horrific fail. And I decided to be brave and post it!

I set out to make Butterick 5613. It looked cute. I thought, hey, I can make a nice bright skirt to wear with a cute polka-dot or stripped tee/tank.

B5613

And then there was...this...

 
Wah! I gathered and gathered and gathered some more. It was just...humungous. Colossal. Massive. I didn't even bother to put in the waistband, and I was so disappointed because the waist tie was done to perfection. Now that I know a *little* bit more about sewing, I know I can reduce the size of those ginormous rectangles and have much less gathering. But I am afraid now - deathly afraid - of the gathered skirt.
 
So since I'm supposed to blog about the joys -and- trials...here you go! :)
 
****************************
 
Puerperium update: