Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sewing FAIL. Butterick 5613 -aka- The Giant Green Skirt

I stalk my blog role. No seriously...I check on my favorite bloggers several times per day. Today, I read a great post by Cation Designs, Stop Blogging Your Perfect Sewing Life. Which was inspired by a different post about people blogging their perfect lives (via Instagram, FB, etc).

Not a single sewist - beginner, advanced, couture, etc - has zero fails. Has zero wadders. Has zero evil patterns or fabrics.

Then, I read Joyatee's post today about her fail with a pattern. And it reminded me of my horrific fail. And I decided to be brave and post it!

I set out to make Butterick 5613. It looked cute. I thought, hey, I can make a nice bright skirt to wear with a cute polka-dot or stripped tee/tank.

B5613

And then there was...this...

 
Wah! I gathered and gathered and gathered some more. It was just...humungous. Colossal. Massive. I didn't even bother to put in the waistband, and I was so disappointed because the waist tie was done to perfection. Now that I know a *little* bit more about sewing, I know I can reduce the size of those ginormous rectangles and have much less gathering. But I am afraid now - deathly afraid - of the gathered skirt.
 
So since I'm supposed to blog about the joys -and- trials...here you go! :)
 
****************************
 
Puerperium update:
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. It had soo much potential! The green is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I was hopeful. It is!! I envisioned a blue/white striped tank or a cute floral print tee. Booooo :(

      Delete
  2. Go for it ... Chop off the humongous extraneous fabric from the skirt give it another try.... That green is just lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks! I think I will. You know sometimes you need to make something awesome to renew the mojo! :)

      Delete
  3. I understand I've blogged about some fails before. But you can more than likely just take the skirt apart and try again it seem you have enough fabric to do so..That pattern is gorg.. I might have to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Failures = learning opportunities! There is definitely a ton of fabric here to do SOMETHING with!

      Delete
  4. Or you can change the gathers into pleats.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!