Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Burda Challenge: January

Prizes have all been claimed! Congrats to the winners! until next time... :)


*********************************

One of my goals for 2015 is to use my Burda magazine subscription that I gifted myself. I've joined a bunch of other PRers and Bloggers in the Burda Challenge!

I am choosing to use all 2015 issues but others are choosing to just sew from the month (of any year) and still others are just planning on sewing ANY Burda magazine pattern each month. 

After going back and forth and back and forth and realizing I was running out of time; I went back to to one of the first things in the mag that caught my eye; this skirt:

Image from the ever so gracious P-an-da who provides us early Burda previews every month!

I chose a tan colored buttersuede that I'd picked up from Hancock sometime ago when they were having a 60% off sale; plus an additional coupon. I paid like $9 for 3 yards of this stuff. It seemed perfect for the skirt -- it would drape nicely, not fray, and have the same feel as the photo.

I grabbed pics on Sunday in full daylight but couldn't find my brown boots! 
I may look unhappy but I really like it! haha!


Photos taken Monday night after finding my brown boots. The lighting isn't too off...

I cut a size 42 and opted to cut the back pattern piece on the fold. As you can see, the right side falls slightly longer than the left and that's the primary reason they have you cut two separate pieces.

However, I cut one and then went back and traced the left side cut line onto my fabric. I then cut off the excess.

After cutting out the back I realized I forgot to add seam allowances - oops. I added 5/8" to the front and sewed 3/8" seam allowances. You can see my side seams are sitting more towards the back than at my sides. In the first photo you may also see that it's a little snug at the waist! :-)

It actually provides decent coverage too! Especially if you REMEMBER the seam allowances(!) as the right side (bottom panel) goes completely to the side seam. 

I did not have petersham and used grosgrain ribbon as the waist stay.
I cut the exposed edges with a rotary cutter for crisp lines.
I serged the side seams but the grey/cream thread stands out more than I'd like. I may go back and bind them.
I opted for snaps instead of buttons.
I think the length is PERFECT.
It has darts! (There are 2 front darts but no back darts).

Definitely consider this one a win and would highly suggest this pattern! I think it's a lot of "bang for the buck"! It looks very stylish and with very little effort. 

47 comments:

  1. That skirt has wow! factor. I love how you've styled it with the boots & denim jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this skirt! It looks great and that fabric turned out to be perfect for it. So you used grosgrain ribbon instead of petersham? Do you feel it is to restricting? Petersham has some stretch to it. I just wonder if you like it because it is a bit hard to get a hold of Petersham, lol. I have 2 yards of it in my stash for a skirt I feel I will never get to but I see a lot of Burda/Ottobre's suggest it's use. I'd love to sub in grosgrain if you feel it works just as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used Petersham so I can't say for sure. The grosgrain seems fine. Lol!

      And agreed, I see it suggested on the European patterns often!

      Delete
    2. I think I saw petersham at SR Harris last week...at the front with all the trims.

      Delete
    3. Oooh, thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
    4. I've bought Petersham at SR for sure! It's much nicer for facings than grosgrain.

      Delete
  3. Cute skirt! I love how it looks styled with your boots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its such a quick and easy skirt isn't it; I made one on the weekend and cut the back on the fold and used grosgrain too. Nice make SCC (PR: reddragon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! :-) It is very gratifying. Hope you post yours! :)

      Delete
  5. You have me wanting to get a magazine JUST for this skirt lol. I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! It is online; which means pdf :eek:

      Delete
  6. Just got my very first Burda in the mail. Think it is the one after this as I don't see this lovely skirt in there. Rats.

    Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking skirt! I haven't even cut out my project yet and January is almost up. I finally made a decision, I'm going to make up the sweatshirt...shouldn't take too long. I'm excited about February's issue as I am liking a lot if those patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to see your sweatshirt. Yeah, I have to reign myself in with what I'm going to sew from February! :)

      Delete
  8. I purchase and read the burda magazines monthly but I don't use the patterns. I prefer to purchase the patterns in the envelope. I don't have the patience for tracing, adding seam allowance and deciphering the pattern instructions. You did a good job on this skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It is definitely an uhmm...acquired taste...those Burda mags! :) Thanks so much!

      Delete
  9. Loved this on Instagram - really love it now that I've read the back story! Great skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a cute skirt and I like it paired with the denim jacket. My February garment isn't looking so great right now as I am not interested in anything in the magazines. I might make this one from January. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. February has some couldbecute-or-couldbedisaster patterns. I like some tops and the jackets. But I ALWAYS love the jackets :)

      I think this is totally your style L!

      Delete
  11. Wow I'd be scared to make and wear that but.. it's pretty, so maybe I'll by some leggings to wear under and try this pattern after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! It's not too bad but would also be cute over leggings/boots!

      Delete
  12. The fabric sounds lush! I can get both Petersham and grosgrain ribbon and I've had the difference explained to me but sorry, I can't remember!! I've only used so far to lengthen trouser legs with a faux hem - not sure if it's the best thing for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've totally google'd it before but can't remember either! :)

      Delete
  13. Great skirt, it looks very cool with your denim jacket and boots - far better than the blanket and fringed top the Burda model is wearing! I must get cracking with my January project, I'm only part way through and only a few days left in January

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That blanket outfit is NOT cool. At all. :)

      You inspired me to do this so I am excited for your 2015!

      Delete
  14. Love this skirt. Looks great with your jacket and boots. Quite dramatic (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome, I think the Buttersuede was a great choice

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boy, I just adore this on you. It is sooooo nice! I am so tempted to make it. It might just be too darn sexy for me though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! OMG Ann you can totally rock it!!!!

      Delete
  17. Yes, the skirt looks fab with those boots. You are rocking' it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know I live that skirt too! It looks great on you! The color is nice and perfect with this boots! Thanks so much for the gift and letting me know! I will send you my email address shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So fantastic, and I absolutely adore the way you styled it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love how that dress falls/drapes on you! Very Pretty

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well this looks so much better than in the magazine, which is why this challenge is so good I suppose (especially for us on the sidelines!). It's good to know the wrap is generous and I love the styling with the boots and jacket.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!