Thursday, January 1, 2015

2014 Sewing Statistics

Do not fall out in shock but, I sewed 116 items for myself this year;  20 items for other people.

**eta: I sewed 222.25 yards! But I have no clue how many yards I had in. I was tracking them at one point and gave up about mid year**


45 of the 116 are not in the wardrobe for different reasons. So 60% in, 40% out.  Interesting!



Tops
53 sewn
-18 wadders (OUCH)
-4 UFOs
-4 trashed (after being completed and worn)
-2 mending pile
-1 given away
-2 I'm on the fence about keeping
-1 is too small

So only 40% (21 out of 53!!!) of the tops I've sewn are currently in my wardobe. Those wadders - yikes. I need to reassess and stop making tops willy-nilly. I'm getting there though. I wisely muslined V8597 because I would've sewn it up and it would've been another wadder.

In 2013 I wrote that I sewed 36 tops; 8 of them (22%) are in my wardrobe.

Sooooo yeah. Tops are an issue. I really want to get that bodice sloper class done in 2015 because I must need it!!  I think that I am quick to 'whip up' a knit top because it's FAST and easy and I just go and do it. I have to take the time to fit my knits a bit better.


Dresses
12 sewn
-1 needs alterating

All are in the wardrobe but I don't "get" to wear dresses often so I try not to make too many. 12 is kind of a lot but I made 4(!) for the Fabric Mart contest. So aside from that I don't think it's too bad.

Skirts
6 sewn
-1 wadder
-1 trashed (stretch woven was too stretchy. I'm not a huge fan of stretch wovens for my lower half I am realizing)

Same with skirts as dresses; not often worn, have to keep myself reigned in on sewing them.

Shorts
5 sewn
-1 UFO
-1 mending (needs a new zipper)
-1 trashed (SUPER stretch woven)

Shorts can't be worn M-F and I'm more likely to put on a dress or skirt on the weekend in the summer. So I don't need many pairs of shorts.

Pants
17 sewn
-1 wadder
-2 mending (one needs the hems lowered - for MONTHS and the other might get tossed. I will fix them for a second time and see)

However, of the 14 pair in the wardrobe, 7 are casual pants.

Monday-Friday, year 'round, I wear pants. So I would like to have LOTS of pants. Some are hands-down favorites over others and get worn way more often. Moral of the story; sew more pants!

The Vogue 9032 is like - thee best pattern in the history of pants patterns (for me!) :)


Jackets
8 sewn
-1 wadder
-1 UFO

I included my army green vest in the jacket category. I love jackets and will probably continue to sew more of them than I need...

My vest. Swoon. I want another one!! Also crazy about my green ponte blazer and red B6104 jacket.


Cardigans
7 sewn
-1 wadder
-1 given away

I was sad to let go of the cute black & grey Vogue waterfall cardigan but I just didn't like it on me. The wadder was the S1318 kimono in beautiful floral chiffon. I accidentally sliced the neckline when attaching the facing :-(

I am surprised I haven't sewn MORE cardigans! I love them!!! And they are excellent for layering because you know...Tundra life...

My most worn cardi is still my black M6844 sewn last year. I am really wearing the tribal print cardi MUCH more than I though I would and to think, I almost gave it away!!


Outerwear
3 sewn

Though none of them are for winter but they were well loved when the weather permitted!!
S2153 black jacket
S1775 grey cape
Burda Style Illusion jacket

My black jacket!!! So versatile!!!!!

Miscellaneous
5 sewn

I sewed 2 items strictly as PJs and 3 of those danged Simplicity bra tops. I have no reason to sew bra tops they were just cute and fast and used little fabric!!

Sewing for others
20 sewn

Which I'd guess 14-15 of those items were for my daughter

**************************************************************************

It is very rare but I have several unblogged projects. Not just the latest things from my mini-wardrobe either. :-O

I have to give a little more thought to what I want to focus on in 2015.  until next time! :)


29 comments:

  1. It's so satisfying to see charts and graphs of all the stuff you made. If I was less lazy, I would do the same :) You were very generous in your sewing for others, I bet my 2014 non-selfish sewing was like 8% of it. Excited to see more of your makes this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's a woman to do if she likes sewing tops but doesn't NEED 100 of them?! I think I'd like making skirts but I hardly ever wear them (I'd rather wear a dress). How do we balance what we like to sew with what we actually wear??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!!! I mean, right?!?

      I think that needs to be a kinda-sorta goal for 2015; I can't *ONLY* sew functional but I need to think a little more about what I sew!

      Delete
  3. I for one am not surprised that your numbers are high because you sew ALOT! Even though your return rate is 60% I still think you had a great year. Part of our sewing journeys is learning what styles work for us, as well as, how to fit and how to match fabric to pattern. Your output number just reflects that! Though I want to know how many yards in versus how many yards out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true!!!

      I updated :-) I have 222.25 yards out (INSANE) but no clue how many yards in. I was tracking it until maybe May and then life happened and I went on a fabric buying binge and stopped tracking. Hope to be more judicial in 2015 in fabric purchases.

      Delete
    2. Yeah until the next amazing Fabric Mart sale! *LOL* See I recognize a fellow fabric addict when I see one! *wink, wink!*

      Delete
    3. Hey! Lol!!!!! I had my serious face on!

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is a whole lot of sewing!! I'm also not surprised that there was a good number of wadders, I don't think I've kept much from my first year or two of sewing clothing. There are so many variables to get used to, fabric choice, fitting etc. They aren't wadders, they are cheap sewing classes!!

    Can not wait to see what next year brings, it is so fun to see all you make!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Cheap sewing classes! I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a data nerd and I LOVE this type of analysis. It's both really interesting and, as a fellow sewist, tells me that I'm not nuts/awful if I have a lower "wardrobe" rate than I'd like for a certain type of garment. I was all about the quick-and-easy knit top or dress this past year, since it was my first full "real" year back sewing post-baby/post-major-move. In 2015, I want to focus more on quality over quantity and fill some wardrobe holes (i.e. some of my RTW jeans are starting to look pretty worn, and I'd rather replace them with me-made jeans than buy more).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly where I am I think. I need to figure out what my wardrobe holes are and fill them and obviously - JEANS!! :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, I am so impressed you have kept track of what you've sewn and wear! Maybe I should do that (or not!). I have invested in more of the Craftsy classes which I enjoy and feel like I learn something from each of them! Can't wait to see what you create in 2015 and hope to meet in person at some point since we are relatively geographically close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue!!

      I just do it from month to month but then I had to tally it which was a huge job. I'm trying to think of a better way for this year!

      I would love to get together!!!

      Delete
  8. Such awesome numbers! I like to sew tops a lot too. I think it is because less alterations need to go into tops - for me anyway. Pants and bottoms seem just so hard! Can't wait to see what you make this next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Yes. Tops are just sooooo easy, in theory :)

      Delete
  9. Great analysis! I always say that knit tops are my sewing snacks. I need them in between the big meals like coats and dresses. So, keep on snacking if that's what you need to do! I admire your strength in getting rid of the ones that don't work for you. I have a hard time parting with things that I've sewn. You must share your secret for how you do that with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne!

      YES!!! "I'll just whip up a knit top real quick!" That's my downfall! :)

      Oh boy. That IS a secret--I'm not very sentimental! It's gotta go to make room for more awesomeness!

      Delete
  10. How do you find time to sew and do all this data collection :)... how are you going to top this next year - I'll bet you will! Great makes though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. - I love that comment, cheap sewing class as well. That's what I think about a lot of my garments - plus they are no worse than RTW, so often a double win :)

      Delete
  11. Your sewing energy is amazing! You made really nice pieces in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome output!

    Equally impressive is your ability to blog so frequently. So glad you do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a machine! And I love reaping the benefits (being able to read about it) lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing!!! All the sewing and then the charts too...you are one organized /amazing sewer.
    I think you have made some beautiful clothes, and as you said... the ones that didn't make it in the wearing cycle.."cheap sewing classes"..
    Have fun sewing, and I look forward to seeing what you do this year..

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...and you commented on my blog that I had a great wrap up year, it was nothing compared to what you've done in 2014!! FABULOUS!!! You've had a bangin' year and have been an inspiration to us all!! CONGRATULATIONS on being selected as PR Member of the Year! You truly have worked very hard and what a wonderful way to recognize you for that hard work! I so look forward to seeing what's going into your closet in 2015!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That is amazing. PR member of the year! What will 2015 bring!?! Cannot wait to see.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your output for 2014 has been astounding! You must be a very fast sewer. Thanks for sharing your sewing adventures with us all. Congratulations on making PR member of the year...a very well deserved accolade. Looking forward to following your sewing journey in 2015...if I can keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing! I love that we have similar styles and you sew a variety of garments. I can't wait to see all of the jeans you churn out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!