In my muslin post (here), I got some GREAT suggestions (on Instagram too!). sewalatte and LindaT both suggested the Peggy Sagers Fit2Stitch video on jeans fitting (here). After watching this video I played around with pinning out the fullness I was having
Here I pinned out a second tuck but you can see (or not) that I removed too much. It was very tight on my calf
So I played around with the side seams and aha! Perhaps they should fit a little closer...
Here I actually pinned out the excess on the left leg. I liked the way they felt.
Here, I pinned some out from the inseam; bad move. Far too tight.
I put the pants back on and thinking back to the Fit2Stitch video made some further adjustments. After several rounds of pinning, trying on, taking photos, etc; I felt I was ready to transfer my changes to the paper. I really like how in the video she stitches the darts/tucks and then just uses that as her pattern. Keeping that in my back pocket for future.
Front pattern pieced slash, creating a hinge at the side seam
Overlapped 1/2" (amount I pinned out on the muslin)
After round 317 with pinning out fullness, I decided my side seams were just too long. I created another hinge but this time at the inseam. I overlapped 3/4" at the side seam, tapering to nothing at the inseam.
On the back, I added 3/8" at the back and near the crotch point (for an additional 3/4"). I then did the same overlap (3/4" at side seam, tapering to nothing at the inseam).
Repositioning of pocket placement marks
By the end of day Thursday, I had my paper pattern adjusted, fabric cut out -- I cut everything single layer! I traced each pattern piece and then cut them out -- and I had my pockets topstitched.
I didn't want to do both rows of pocket stitching on the pants. So I did the 'inside' line and edge stitched to attach them to the pants backs.
I originally found the 'perfect pocket' tutorial on Off the Cuff and it has been a major tool in my toolbox ever since! Check it out for yourself here!
Cause sneaky peeks are awesome:
Will get full finished photos on Sunday!!
Day 1: Pattern Adjustments, pocket prep