Sunday, October 13, 2013

Finished Items: Butterick 5926 and McCall's 6796

I finally finished the jacket!

I had intentions on adding bias tape to the seams but since it's a little too large I won't...I'll save that for jacket #2.  I think it's a solid pattern despite my issues with the collar. It fits well and went together quickly. I will not add interfacing on #2 if I use a similar weight ponte. I will only interface the buttons and button hole areas. Well and the collar.

I wore it all day yesterday and it was pretty comfy. Due to the shoulders being too large, I ended up rolling the sleeves up (it's striped on the inside!). I thought it gave it a more casual look that helped with the large shoulders


At Charming Charlie with my favorite girl! :) We had lunch at Smash Burger then bought some cool accessories!


On Lily



Weird puckery collar deal. Meh.

Pattern Review here

So, instead of getting all worked up, I continued ahead with my SWAP plans. I made this top, McCall's 6796 in a light jersey knit. It's black with a silvery stripe throughout. But it's kind of see through! Oops! I hate that I'll have to wear a cami under it (cami + top + some type of jacket or sweater because it's sleeveless) but...it was pretty easy to view the cleavage in the bathroom and those lights suck.


You can see Lily's boobs!!!! LOL!

Pattern Review here


I started my pants and got to the zipper and completely blanked on what to do. I'll be refreshing myself with YouTube vids! They're a black/grey fabric and will have a purple zipper and purple hem tape - yep! :)

After the pants will be a button front shirt in light purple and a white top (probably Maria Denmark's Kimono Tee).

I cut a vest too. That I plan to make in an animal print. Me. Animal print. We'll see if I wear it. I'm making it in fleece so as to not get too broken hearted over it if I hate it. Fleece is cheap. I can always make one out of nice fabric if I love it!!

Lastly, I have taken over my lunch bag to be a project bag for the socks I'm knitting. So I quickly (like in under 10 minutes), sewed this little bag to tote small in progress knits.


8 comments:

  1. Well done on your first jacket! I share your frustration with notched collars. I made KS 3558 this summer and had great success with their instructions. They have you sew the front facings to the jacket first, attach the collar next, and finally attach the back facing. I didn't think it would work, but it did. I got the collar to be perfect on the first try. Be sure to mark your seamlines clearly, sew slowly in this area, and carefully move the fabric out of the way at the pivot point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L! I've heard GREAT things about KS instructions. I might try it out while they're on sale at Hancock. I have that pattern on my wish list! Love the pleating in the back!! I really enjoy your blog. Fun to read and you sew some great stuff!

      Delete
  2. Your jacket looks fantastic... Great job.. and what a fun day to wear it. Like the striped on the inside sleeve.. Just perfect.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! This was your first jacket? It gets easier, and more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! First but not last. I have at least 3 existing fabrics intending to be made into a jacket and really want this knit one in a stripe!

      Delete
  4. I love your jacket! I bought this pattern in one of the JoAnn's sales and then never even looked at it. This makes me want to dig it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the jacket too - for a first go, you have done well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!