Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Finished Items: McCall's 6844 and Sew Active Perfect Tank (Pattern Test)

Starting Saturday, McCall's are on sale at Hancock (5/$7 I think). Go get this one...seriously!

McCall's 6844 is described as "Close-fitting cardigans (do not meet at center front) have collar extending into front band, and narrow hem." There are 4 views, 2 are peplums and 2 aren't; there are 2 lengths included.

I had to trace y'all. Me. I traced this pattern. The views are all connected, with cutting lines. I want to make 3 of 4 views (A, B, & C), so I had to trace. Boooo!



This time around, I made view A. This goes together FAST. If you're more confident than I am, you can construct it on your serger. Front, Back (cut on fold), Collar (cut 2, 1 is the facing) and Sleeve. Easy. Peasy.

I used black ponte and it fits like a dream (Pattern Review HERE).

Silly faces and overexposed to show detail.

Gotta have it labeled! Tiny hem on the sleeve, cool curved hem around the back.

A winter white version is cut and ready to sew!!! A printed slinky knit is on the way for view C! The sleeves were short and I don't have monkey arms...I added 1" on the sleeve length for future versions. Otherwise, a treat to sew!

Next up, I was excited to pattern test for Sew Active Patterns and got the pattern 8/28. And then spent all of September in a crappy state. So I forgot and missed her deadline. When she contacted me, I offered to pay for the pattern, I felt horrible! She said no to the offer and told me to get to it when I can. And then I forgot :( I suck.

BUT(!) this (paper) pattern was trimmed, taped together, traced off, sewed, served and hemmed in 90 minutes. This is an active knit and the medium is pretty close fitting. I will adapt this for regular 2-way stretch knits and make it bigger (by adding a bit at CF/CB since they're both cut on the fold, and a bit at the side seams). Her instructions called for turn and stitch; I will probably make arm and neck bands. 

Her PR Review HERE, Facebook page HERE



Finally, B5678 is trying to get itself thrown in the trash. Never serge while tired. 


Then, I got it serged and was going to topstitch. Uhmm, yeah. THOSE stitches need to be pulled out. The princess seams were folded in a bit and it looks terrible. I will not let this shirt beat me!!!!



8 comments:

  1. The tank is cute-I'd do bands also. Love the cardi pattern and your version is nice in the black ponte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tank is gorgeous. And so is the cardigan - I love these throw on cardigans that look a bit jacket-y. Sorry about the pants going - but we all do that serge mistake :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these are super cute! I've been meaning to pick up that cardi pattern, but they didn't have it yet when it was last on sale at Hancock. I totally see a peplum one in my future...maybe with some ties, if I get ambitious. Have you checked out Jalie 3919? I love it more than I ever thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary I cut the tank again in the same winter white ponte I'm making the 2nd cardigan out of - like a twin set. I'm pretty excited :) I will do bands on that one, for sure. I just think it's a better finish.

    Thanks Sarah Liz! Oh yeah, I have definitely learned my lesson on when NOT to operate the serger!!

    Thanks SS! I haven't seen that one. I'll have to take a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I finally bought the pattern and traced it out last night. I know it's not supposed to meet at the CF, and thus the pattern measurements are tripping me up.

    I traced it so the waistline should be about the same as mine - 28" (slightly smaller than a small, my waist is 27-28") and my bust is 37" and the bust measurement is 36.5" for a medium, so I graded up to a medium. Based on your experience with the pattern, does that sound like it will fit correctly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. I got a little freaked out by the pattern measurements.

      On the black version, I went ahead and cut a medium but sewed 1/2" side seams giving myself an extra 1/2". On the cream version I added an inch but then sewed 5/8" seams, which equaled an additional 1/2", again.

      My full bust is 39.5, waist is 34 so I think you will be completely fine...and may even decide that a small would work better.

      Jenny at http://jennysews2.blogspot.com/ is smaller than I am. She cut a medium and was debating if the next time she made it, she should make a small.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Your response, and the link to Jenny's blog, were both very helpful. I'm thinking I might sew a small plus a smidge more at the bust. Using some of that super steal from a couple of weeks ago Fabric Mart black ponte!

      Delete
    3. Yay! You are more than welcome!

      That's the same ponte mine is made of!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!