Monday, February 17, 2014

A Little Bit of Sewing...A Lotta Other Stuff

I'm still slightly, ever so slightly, under the weather. Not enough to want to stay home and sleep but enough that I feel tired after being up and about.

 M5523 is near done. All it needs is a hem. But I want to blind hem it so that will take some time.

It's really invisible!! But I didn't leave room for a hook & eye. 


Found this 7/8 yd remnant and love the print. M3830 skirt now has facing and needs hemming. I was doing a blind hem and did it "backwards". Many minutes of unpicking later...Yeah.


I traced off Burda Style 02/2014 #115. It's a petite pattern which should be okay except for the sleeve length. I will do the dirty deed (muslin) because the fabric I have for it is pretty special to me! :)

I don't think I'll be making the Illusion jacket for this month. There's a blizzard. I can't be motivated to make a spring jacket right now. Even though I'm making skirts and other non-winter gear...I'll wait until next month to make the jacket.



I bought a new wallet

And cookies

Finished a good book

Got my eyebrow massacred. (Curse you woman)

Visited Gratz sewing in Plymouth to test out some machines. 
  • The first two are Husqvarna Viking machines (both computerized - meh).
  • The 3rd is a Janome Magnolia (mechanical - don't remember the model number - loved the way it sewed!)
  • The last was some random Brother (didn't like the look or feel of it)
There's a guy there on Wednesday's who is apparently pretty good about matching user to machine; based on your needs. We will see!
 
 
 
 



14 comments:

  1. One of my machines is a Janome Magnolia - I love it! I also love that the lower-priced Distinctive brand of snap-on feet available on Amazon work well with this machine.

    Love your new skirt and your new wallet. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh. I have a bunch of those now that fit my Singer!! I totally think I'll keep my old machine if I go with that one. I am giddy at the thought of a new machine. Shhhhhh!

      Thanks much! :)

      Delete
  2. 1) That jacket is gorgeous--it seems like a good look for you. 2) Gotta love those thin mints-- they call my name every year 3) I just bought a Janome mechanical--the first day I threaded it, I sewed past midnight. I loved it-I mean I was actually smiling while I sat there. I have a computerized Brother that cost me more than the Janome--I thought it was something wrong with me. Found out it was the machine. The Janome 2222 which is a good mechanical machine without the bells and whistles. I was ready to buy, did a little more research and found Janome sells their 2222 model through Walmart (model # JW5622). It is the same machine, and CHEAPER. I got it for $149.00 -- bought it online and free shipping. I also have a Janome serger My Lock 634D and Janome coverstitch Cover Pro1000 CPX. I am satisfied with my Janome products. I also have a White SuperLock serger--old, but still works. I had a Husqvarna Mechanical but I returned it--I just didn't like it. I also felt it was overpriced. Well, hope my two cents helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I ended up buying more cookies today. I am not taking them home today. Don't tell my kids! ;-)

      I DO appreciate the machine input. I am always looking for info and especially of good mechanical machines.

      Delete
  3. Kristy from "lower your presses foot" is also working on that jacket. It looks like it will be very interesting to make up. Is it lined?
    Your skirt is gorgeous.
    I have a 17 year old Pfaff electronic machine.it is wonderful. The buttonhole is easy to use and always good.make sure you test how easy the zipper feet and buttonhole feet work on the machines you try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I saw her updated muslin - love it!

      It is lined. Thanks :)

      Good point. I will take some fabric samples with me when I go and test out many features (vs. just straight stitch!)

      Delete
  4. It's good that you are making a muslin. I still have not gotten into making muslins, either, but I see how it could be helpful. I think its funny how you call it a dirty deed! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! I do not like making muslins and I am hoping that it doesn't cause me to lose my mojo for the project. BUT I haven't sewn enough Burda patterns to be comfortable with knowing how they fit. Plus my fabric is kind of ravelly so I don't want to be ripping out stitches over and over.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful zipper installation! Girl Scout cookies are my weakness!! Been there done that with the eyebrows....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should go push that eyebrow lady into a snowbank.

      LOl!!!!!

      Thanks much!

      Delete
  6. I love that Burda jacket pattern... I can't wait to see yours. I am too lazy right now to un-petite the pattern pieces so I will live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forget you're tall!! I will probably be fine with it petite. But we will see!

      Delete
  7. So sorry your still under the weather. Hope you get completely well soon.. Praying for you.
    Love that jacket pattern. cute..
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!