Sunday, June 15, 2014

Finished Item: S2153 and My Genius Moment

I got a lot of laughs on the last post! :-)




Simplicity 2153, size 10. No alterations to the pattern.

The only thing I would do differently for her is lengthen it below the waist casing. *just* a little bit...which would allow me to make the pockets slightly deeper which would be nice for her long hands. But she is in love with it!

Love the bright contrast!

TWINSIES!!!! :)

Speaking of long hands...
My hand atop my 14 year old's hand

Why am I genius you ask?




Yes, this is an accurate representation of how large my living room is.

And it has sat, unused, since we moved in last July. 

I decided to move my machines upstairs (ironing board too). My fabric and notions and cutting table are still downstairs. I told them it's for summer, because I enjoy the natural light.

but that's only partially true

Remember how, on Memorial Day, I brought the sewing machine to the dining room table in order to work on DDs shirt while my brother was visiting? Well the machine has been there ever since. And I have sewn a ton. A TON. And guess what? Not one of the people I live with has complained.

I'm "there".
I'm "present".
They can see me.

Today I spent over 4 hours working on her jacket. No complaints. The kids were in there for at least half of the time, probably more and my husband was in there for quite awhile too. I realized it was me "going away" to the basement that made everyone whiny sad.

So I cut downstairs and put the fabric, directions, zipper, buttons, cording, elastic, etc in a basket and worked from the basket. Worked perfectly. 

*********
Lastly, I terribly miss my Papa. I hate that they live so far away :-(

Happy Father's Day to a super awesome dad!

The morning of my junior prom





26 comments:

  1. Aww. The pic of you and your DD is too cute.

    Does she swim? If not, she should swim. She's got the upper body frame to be a great swimmer. If...no...WHEN she makes it to the Olympics, I want a ticket. I am serious. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does everything against her nature! She should swim and should still be playing tennis and basketball. She only loves softball though. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful jackets..Love the twin photos..
    Very smart to figure out that , we can sew more , if we move the sewing machine to where everyone is at.. I do this with hubby sometimes.. I tell him, that he really doesn't want to talk to me...just see me...
    Why?? hahaha
    Miss my dad too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy!!!

      Yes. Exactly. They just need to have eyes on me. The bonus for me is that the living room is amazingly sunny and bright and has hardwood floors! :-D

      Delete
  3. Very nice jackets. Love the pic of you two together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love the pic of you and your Dad. Great jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter's jacket looks as amazing as yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great jacket. Love the bright trim inside. I sew in what is supposed to be our dining room. It was too small to fit our large table so we dine in the family room. The dining room has worked out great for my sewing room. It's close to the kitchen and living room. I can hear the TV and participate in conversations. It has great lighting and it feels like my special little space, without being away from the general household. If I was you, I would move all my sewing stuff into that beautiful big space. You could call it your sewing studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      That's exactly how I have been feeling about sewing upstairs. I will probably infiltrate, slowly :-)

      Delete
  7. I love the twinsies photo! I didn't think she was so tall from the photos of her alone. I love the jackets, I really need to check out that pattern.

    That was a smart move, bringing your machine out in the open. My guess is that will be a permanent move :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meigan! :) Yes, she is a few inches taller than me. In the pic I had on shoes and she didn't!

      Delete
  8. Loving you and your daughters jackets. How awesomely cute. I don't have a need for one here in FL right now (maybe for the rain), but I would love to make one none the less. Great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie!

      Oh, you should for fall. It's a great little jacket!

      Delete
  9. Since the world cup stared, I moved my sewing machine to the dining room table to be with everyone and the soccer action. No complaints yet. Lovely jackets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See! I am convinced they just need to see us!

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  10. The commenter above who mentioned swimming is right. I have very long fingers/hands and feet for my frame and I was always told what a benefit it was for me in swimming. :-) Now if only my kids would follow in my footsteps, lol.

    So that jacket is awesome, of course, you do such great work.

    The sewing room sitch. I have a formal living room area that has turned into my sewing area, and it is always an apology when people come over to the house. They barely notice the mess, they are always, "ooh, look at that--so cool," which makes me realize people like seeing creativity in motion. But I still want some order, so I keep working on the room. I am so slow, though.

    Your poppa and you in that photo, AWWWWW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dina!!! :-)

      See, we never have visitors. Seriously. I think in the almost 12 months we've lived here we have had visitors 3 times and non family visitors never.

      I loves my Papa!

      Delete
  11. Great looking jacket! I'm always aware that I spend too much time "away" in my sewing room, especially since it is now in the basement. My hubby says he doesn't mind but still....you've given me food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana!

      Maybe try it. I swear I have sewn more in the past 3 weeks that it has been upstairs than say, the prior 3 weeks. But it's been like *poof* magic! :-)

      Delete
  12. LOVE the mommy/daughter pic. You are scathingly brilliant about moving your sewing space upstairs. Not only is your family happier having you in "the zone" but you will probably be happier up in the natural light. A win/win. My guess is no one is going to be pushing you to go back downstairs after the summer is over. And the jackets? Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqui!!!

      The *only* drawback is the super awesome built ins that are in the basement. They store the fabric/pattern/notion stash awesomely. I'd have to buy something for the living room.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!