Monday, June 9, 2014

I'm here. I'm here!

It's always weird (to me) when so many days go by between blogging. Eek.

Work has been super busy. One of my coworkers is out on extended leave and I'm doing both of our jobs. 

I is tired. 

Yesterday I realized I hadn't sewn in days and started having twitches. But, my hand and wrist hurts so badly I knew I couldn't do much cutting. So starting DDs jacket was out. 

I went down, rifled through like 6 different patterns that were already cut out, and put them back and came upstairs. 

Ok, what do I *need*? I need short sleeve tops and pants. Ok, pants are out. Too much hand work. 

I had McCalls 6702 on the table for awhile. 

Then Erica B posted hers again yesterday. 

http://www.ericabunker.com/2014/06/what-im-wearing-weekend-wear-open-back.html?m=1

I pulled THAT out like, YESSSS. 

Wait. No. 

I need shirts for work. 

So I pulled out Simpliciy 2594 which I'd made sometime last year and this pretty (poly? Rayon?) that I got from Hancock fabrics. In the summer orange and yellow are MY colors! I get all tan and goldeny brown and they just pop. (Yes, goldeny is a word! Haha!). 

On Lily (hanging til it can be hemmed. It's a bias cut top) 

Super yummy fabric!

Them I cut a Maria Denmark kimono tee. Which is a 13 second project. I used a jersey from FabricMart


I added bands to the sleeve to have just a little more arm coverage

I just measured the circumference and matched it. I didn't want to lose any width. 

Last Monday when I was doing unselfish sewing, I had also cut another New Look 6150 out of ITY. The color looks great on me but it fits a litttttttle closer than I'd like. I decided to get it finished too...but then I did this:

AND it's in the front :( 

I have to unpick it, which serger stitches aren't that bad now, and redo it. 

I also went to see a band Friday night with my husband, went to see X-Men Saturday night with hubby and went to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier with the kids yesterday. 

And probably won't get back in the sewing room til Friday. :tears:

Did you have a sewing weekend?

20 comments:

  1. My weekend was a lot like yours - taking patterns out and putting them back. I worked on some UFO's. Did some prep work (cutting & embroidery) for an upcoming project. Basically a bunch of procrastinating. I need a suit for a church service next week and for some reason I can't commit to cutting fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The procrastinating. When you know you need to be doing "A" but you do "C, D and F" instead! :-)

      Hope you get going on the suit!!!

      Delete
  2. I have M6702 out as well. I am beefing up my summer wardrobe as hubby and sons keep reminding me I look like I am going to work when we go out casually. So I need to really work on my after 5pm wardrobe. Can't wait to see how yours come out. You do such beautiful work. I wish sometimes I had a daughter to sew for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I hear you. I spend my week in boring functional clothes and can't wait for the weekend! That's why I'm making some more interesting tops. I have to wear pants everyday so I go for nice, neutrals (read: repeated multiple times during the week often) and now I want some more interesting but still functional tops. You've been making some cute casual things!

      Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! That open back top is a stunner. I need to get that pattern on my “to buy” list. Your orange fabric is beautiful and I’m sure that top will be stunning on you! I wish I could get all nice and goldeny, sadly my color is pale and pasty all year. I also love the red and black top (those are my colors, hehehe). It looks like a nice, fast project. I’m sorry about your last top. That bites when you are happy to get done and then see that stinking little seam not match up with the shoulder. Boo!!
    I seem to have too much on my sewing plate right now and too many things going on to get to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO annoying! And considering I cut the top from a 1 yard cut of fabric (seriously. It even has elbow length sleeves!) I have to hope there's a strip of fabric long enough and wide enough! Or else I'll be doing a turned over neckline!

      Delete
  4. It was a 'trying to finish stuff' weekend. The raincoat. The fake Alabama Chanin shirt (that did get done). The shorts pattern. The bag pattern. I did clean the house and do laundry and spend time with the kids so while I'm at work all week, I can feel less of a creep for being gone all day.

    Bucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "less of a creep" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      I have those times too where I just need to get 'er done.

      Delete
  5. That orange fabric is too cute; I love those lines. Your kimono tee is very beautiful; I need to make myself a whole bunch of them in diff colors. It is such a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I love that tee pattern. Love.

      Delete
  6. Yes! I cut several patterns and made That Moxie Girl's Prefontaine shorts which were badly needed since I am dugout mom. I hope to trace off a couple of patterns tonite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that orange top..so pretty..Love the fabric..
    hope work slows down soon, and you get to sew some more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I hope so too! I have new fabric on the way!!! :-)

      Delete
  8. You always pick the prettiest fabrics!! Both of your tops look great! It sounds like you had a great weekend. I have gotten no sewing done this past weekend, maybe next week will be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Vanessa!

      If the whole weekend goes by without sewing I feel like someone has cut off my right arm! But I know you have younger kids. Mine don't roll out of bed til like 11 on weekends :)

      Delete
  9. I've got to make that Maria Denmark Kimono T - roll on our summer. Yours looks great - and I think the little arm bands just finish the sleeve so nicely. Yes, I have those stop start sew sessions too - going from one idea to the next ...and frustration when I can't sew, like you. I've got a full two weeks at work too, groan....so I empathize fully - and with the wrists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should Sarah Liz! It's a great little pattern.

      Delete
  10. Nice work and I love the orange fabric!
    My weekend: Easy knit maxi dressearly Saturday morniing (midnight to 2 am)... Sewing party Saturday afternoon to introduce my sister, sis in law X 2 to sewing... Completed a evening dress on Sunday evening that I'll be wearing at a wedding next Saturday! Can't wait to post my final result since I am so proud of my work! I'm getting more are more creative :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww a sewing party sounds SO fun!

      Thanks!! And I'll be watching your blog for the finished goodies :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!