Sunday, June 1, 2014

Finished Item: Simplicity 2153

I finished it! 

I have seen only cute versions of this jacket in the sewing world and when I found the waterproof coating at FabricMart, I had to make it. 



I decided I wanted view C but with the elastic in the sleeve hem, like A. Now, there are tons of warnings about the ease in this pattern. I guess it is all relative. Normally I am a 14 with FBA, 16 waist, 18 hip (or 14 shoulder graded to 16 bust and waist and 18 hip). I had the larger size range of this pattern so I cut the 16. I didn't measure or anything...I just went for it.

The jacket fits fine. It fits like a normal jacket.

Okay, I could use a narrow shoulder adjustment. And the sleeves are on the voluminous side...but there is NO way I could have/should have gone down a size. I had to give myself a little extra hip room so that it wasn't tight! So...yeah. YMMV and all that.

Photos GALORE!



POCKETS!!

I mean, that isn't like super, extra roomy...




Overexposed to show the details
Pockets!!!! Epaulettes! :)



My polka dot bias tape! :)


This jacket was moving right along, minding it's own business and then...

I decided it needed a hood. And muslined and it was meh. And muslined and then...whatever. No need. See, I enjoy sewing. I enjoy working out a problem, but I will move on if something is seriously driving me crazy. So, no hood on THIS one.

Adjustments:
  • Removed about 1" from the sleeve width (just did this while sewing)
  • Shortened the sleeves 1.5" (which was almost too much! Ooops!)
  • No interfacing except on the epaulettes. After seeing how the fabric behaved and seeing that a lightweight rtw jacket had no interfacing in the collar or the facings, I decided to leave it off. This fabric has quite a bit of body.
  • Instead of creating a tube and turning the back loop, I just handled it like you would belt carriers. Felt that was easier


Particulars:
  • Waterproof fabric from FabricMart ~2.25 yards (this fabric sews and presses AMAZINGLY!)
  • 24" Zipper from JoAnn
  • 1/4" cording from Hancock
  • Handmade bias tape (woohoo!) as casing and on facings
  • 3/4" elastic in the sleeves (about 9")
  • All interior seams serged. 
  • Yoke seams (front and back) topstitched


Mistakes:

  • Bought a 26" zipper and spent 2 days looking for a black 24" zipper.
  • Sewed the casing in place and realized I sewed it in the wrong place. Never mind the buttonholes that were sitting right there as guides.
  • 1.5" was almost too much removed from the sleeve length. I just made it.
  • Went to zip it up and couldn't. I had sewed the facing too close to the zipper tape and had to unpick the topstitching and facing stitches!
  • Sewing the sleeve elastic casing and ran out of bobbin thread...realized I had navy thread in the bobbin. Luckily the area is gathered so you can't see it!
  • Didn't make sure my toggle things were the right size for my cording! So I'll have to find a new pair.

I am in love with this jacket! It is fantastic! It feels good on and is sewn pretty dang well if I must say so myself ;-)

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this pattern for an easy but stylish lightweight jacket. I now plan to make the vest too.

It's no surprise that SOMEONE now wants me to make them one too!