Sunday, June 1, 2014

Finished Item: Simplicity 2153

I finished it! 

I have seen only cute versions of this jacket in the sewing world and when I found the waterproof coating at FabricMart, I had to make it. 



I decided I wanted view C but with the elastic in the sleeve hem, like A. Now, there are tons of warnings about the ease in this pattern. I guess it is all relative. Normally I am a 14 with FBA, 16 waist, 18 hip (or 14 shoulder graded to 16 bust and waist and 18 hip). I had the larger size range of this pattern so I cut the 16. I didn't measure or anything...I just went for it.

The jacket fits fine. It fits like a normal jacket.

Okay, I could use a narrow shoulder adjustment. And the sleeves are on the voluminous side...but there is NO way I could have/should have gone down a size. I had to give myself a little extra hip room so that it wasn't tight! So...yeah. YMMV and all that.

Photos GALORE!



POCKETS!!

I mean, that isn't like super, extra roomy...




Overexposed to show the details
Pockets!!!! Epaulettes! :)



My polka dot bias tape! :)


This jacket was moving right along, minding it's own business and then...

I decided it needed a hood. And muslined and it was meh. And muslined and then...whatever. No need. See, I enjoy sewing. I enjoy working out a problem, but I will move on if something is seriously driving me crazy. So, no hood on THIS one.

Adjustments:
  • Removed about 1" from the sleeve width (just did this while sewing)
  • Shortened the sleeves 1.5" (which was almost too much! Ooops!)
  • No interfacing except on the epaulettes. After seeing how the fabric behaved and seeing that a lightweight rtw jacket had no interfacing in the collar or the facings, I decided to leave it off. This fabric has quite a bit of body.
  • Instead of creating a tube and turning the back loop, I just handled it like you would belt carriers. Felt that was easier


Particulars:
  • Waterproof fabric from FabricMart ~2.25 yards (this fabric sews and presses AMAZINGLY!)
  • 24" Zipper from JoAnn
  • 1/4" cording from Hancock
  • Handmade bias tape (woohoo!) as casing and on facings
  • 3/4" elastic in the sleeves (about 9")
  • All interior seams serged. 
  • Yoke seams (front and back) topstitched


Mistakes:

  • Bought a 26" zipper and spent 2 days looking for a black 24" zipper.
  • Sewed the casing in place and realized I sewed it in the wrong place. Never mind the buttonholes that were sitting right there as guides.
  • 1.5" was almost too much removed from the sleeve length. I just made it.
  • Went to zip it up and couldn't. I had sewed the facing too close to the zipper tape and had to unpick the topstitching and facing stitches!
  • Sewing the sleeve elastic casing and ran out of bobbin thread...realized I had navy thread in the bobbin. Luckily the area is gathered so you can't see it!
  • Didn't make sure my toggle things were the right size for my cording! So I'll have to find a new pair.

I am in love with this jacket! It is fantastic! It feels good on and is sewn pretty dang well if I must say so myself ;-)

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this pattern for an easy but stylish lightweight jacket. I now plan to make the vest too.

It's no surprise that SOMEONE now wants me to make them one too!

45 comments:

  1. I live in a land of no rain and I'm getting ready for a trip to the mid-West. I SO wish I had this jacket. Stylish, we'll-made and practical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the jacket and fit looks good to me. For someone who's been sewing a little over a year, I must say: Your sewing skills are amazing--that coupled with your fortitude to tackle what would seem difficult to most new sewists. I admire you--you just jump right in and go for it. Happy Sewing Nakisha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Thanks Robin! It is a gift and a curse! Haha!!! :)

      Delete
  3. What a great jacket! I had totally overlooked this pattern before now, but I'm adding to my short list after seeing your version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was actually a quick sew!

      Delete
  4. I bought this pattern a few years ago, envisioning a jacket just like yours! I think the fit is great, and you did a really professional job. Perhaps I will have to move mine up in the jacket queue.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I love the polka dot bias tape and the back loop. I think SOMEONE should start learning to sew. Of course, I didn't do too well at teaching my daughter. I liked the solitude of sewing alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I like the solitude too. It's my "me time"

      Delete
  6. Great job.. Looks wonderful.. Did you use a walking foot to sew the fabric? Was it hard to sew? Really want to make me a raincoat, but scared to sew that fabric,ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular fabric was not hard to sew AT ALL! But it isn't really sticky or slippery. I used the walking foot for top stitching and hemming.

      Delete
  7. This is gorgeous! Even without the hood, I'm sure that this will get a ton of wear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent Job. I love hoods so I know why you tried.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted one sooooo badly!!

      Delete
  9. Amazing jacket!!! You did a fabulous job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You get outta town!!! This is awesome! I. Want. It. I think this is the same fabric I made a trench coat from a few months ago. I love love this for your jacket. I need this jacket in my life right now.

    I have this exact pattern AND ordered some red nylon/cotton water repellent Marc Jacobs fabric from FM to knock off a Marc Jacobs jacket. This fabric--> http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/Red-DYE-LOT-1-Water-Repellent-Cotton-Nylon-Poplin-Marc-Jacobs-59W.html to make This jacket for the inspiration--> http://www.stylebop.com/us/product_details.php?id=291441&gclid=CPfnsI2h2r4CFQEdOgodr2kA9A

    I'm working on some other stuff right now, but I am thrilled to see your coat for inspiration. I was considering drafting up a detachable hood... we'll see how I feel when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEEK! I thought it might be the same! Isn't it wonderful?!?! Swoooon.

      This jacket is EXACTLY that jacket! It's the same! Just pocket flaps and hidden placket. I can't wait to see this!

      Delete
  11. That is SUCH a great jacket, wow, I am so impressed! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking jacket. I can see why you are so pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you made this up before I did, Nakisha (the pattern is in my stash!). It's gorgeous, front and back. Really nicely done, and you should be proud of yourself. It certainly wasn't worth botching and turning into a wadder for the sake of a hood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I can live without the hood :) thanks!

      Delete
  14. Awesomely cool jacket.. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That is a great jacket. It looks great from the inside too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome job and amazing coat!!! You should feel very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Already have this pattern! I'm about to put it in the queue FIRST for right after I finish my summer sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice jacket! I love all your little details – the topstitching looks perfect and that loop on the back is awesome! I think the fit is great –just enough room to move around in, but not too much ease that you are drowning. Have fun making DD one now :D I’m not surprised; it is a super sweet jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I love the fit!!! I'll be making hers this weekend. :)

      Delete
  19. Great job! It's definitely clear why this jacket is your favorite May make. You definitely are a fearless sewer, and you're reaping the rewards of your own courage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love it! I saw this jacket on another blog recently, and I have to get this pattern in the next round of sales. It's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would LOVE to see your spin on it!

      Delete
  21. Totally missed this pattern! Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice! I think yours looks better than the pictures on the envelope. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks amazing and you should be proud! The details are really cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your jacket turned out so beautiful. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!