Monday, June 30, 2014

Finally(!!!) Finished: S2255 Nautical Print Top

And S1373 too!

Sooooo not a whole lot of sewing happening this weekend. Friday night I went to happy hour and then...yeah. No. So what was my Saturday like you ask? Well, from 1:15 a.m. - 6:50 a.m. I was in the E.R., got home at 7 to pick my daughter up and headed out to the softball tournament at 7:30. Was at softball from 8:00 until about 2:00. [Not serious...stupid ovarian cysts. Apparently I am a 'cyst getter'. I get cysts. At least this one didn't rupture]

The won 2nd place and Dougie was the MVP of game 3! She was insanely good in game #3.
At this point in the day I'd had morphine, percocet, 
a frappuccino and a redbull...I think I was kept vertical by sheer luck.

On to the sewing!

Sunday I finally made it to the sewing room and got those danged buttonholes done. The 1/2" buttons were too small/slippery to sew by machine but I figured 8 handsewn buttons shouldn't take too much time (famous last words). I started sewing on buttons waiting on DD to finish practice. I had put the buttons in the shirt pocket and yep, turned the shirt, spilling buttons all over the car. I found them all and then went on to lose a single button about 4 more times. Seriously.




On the other version (on the form), I'd used 5 snaps and on this one went with 6 buttons. I realized there's a tiny bit of gape on the first one and now I have NO gape! Woot!

I didn't realize that mirror was so dusty! sorry!

I moved the pockets down 1.5" (they were gonna be on my neck otherwise) but I think they're a little too far down. It's okay...they're mainly decorative but I thought they'd help to really give this the casual vibe I was looking for.


No swayback!


Love, love, love the cuffed/tab sleeve :-)


 How I intend to wear it on Saturday. Bright coral shorts and neutral wedges. (I got SUPER tanned on Saturday!)

The coral shorts are me-made. I decided for my mini-wardrobe I wanted to use a plain-front shorts pattern so I don't break up my ikat print too much. I decided to do up a wearble muslin of the pattern.

1) They are not that short...not sure why they look so mini on the model. I used a 1.5" hem too!
2) I did not do those side slits.
3) The waistline is finished with twill tape. No facing. No waistband. I found that...odd. I'd never encountered that before.
4) This fabric is nasty. It's spongy and too stretchy and melted under the iron. So I will wear these on Saturday and then take my coral zipper back.
5) I didn't gather that they are meant to be high-waisted but HOLY COW. The front rise was ENORMOUS. I had to take out 1.5" of fabric and there is still a pooch of excess fabric.



This was the fastest pattern ever. Front, back, 2 darts in each. Side lapped zipper. Done. 

I thought I was 'on to something' with the sewing and started on my M6702 top. I sewed the bias binding to the back opening and went to press it WITH a press cloth and...

My pretty "4th of July fabric" became...
This.

Wah. Wah. Wah.



42 comments:

  1. Sounds like a 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride' weekend. LOL. Glad to hear you are feeling better. I have PCOS so I understand. Some sewing wins--score. Sorry to hear about that beautiful fabric. I can't tell how that happened. Was it the iron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Like...can allll the things go wrong?!? :) Thanks! I've heard PCOS can be a bear to live with. Best wishes to you on that.

      I think I just held too long, trying to press over the bias tape. It was highly disappointing.

      Delete
  2. Glad that you're feeling better! I've had several friends who've dealt with ovarian cysts, and you have my full sympathy on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! And they have mine! It is NOT the most fun thing in the entire world to deal with :/ ouch!

      Delete
  3. Oh no (about the cysts and the fabric)! Hope you are feeling and sewing better. The coral shorts rock -- you make it sound like I could complete those in an hour! Maybe I will try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes you can Annie. This was as fast as a knit project! :)

      Thanks much!

      Delete
  4. Love the shirt. Have yet to sew up 1373 but now that you say it's the fastest pattern ever, I'm low on excuses. This weekend I shortened pj pants into pj shorts and , while pinking, chomped a sizable whole into the fabric. Yes, wah, wah, wah. Congratulations on living in the 21st century, where cysts are more nuisance than danger. Ok, bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like them.

      OUCH. So sad when that happens and yes...have a "woe is me" moment and then...on to the next project! :)

      Thanks much. Feeling much better.

      Delete
    2. Pssssssst! Guess what fabric I'm about to prewash? That's right, for 1373. Expect a finished garment in like 3 weeks. We can't all be mini sweatshops!! You'll be done the mini warddrobe before I even have the hemband attached. Ok, ttys.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that you're feeling better! You've made some fantastic things Nakisha! I really need to get that Simplicity shirt pattern at the next sale..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candice! I think it's one you'd like! We have similar pattern tastes! :)

      Delete
  6. I like your ensemble! The shirt and shorts go well together, and you did a great job on both. That shirt, though! It really is awesome!

    I am glad you are feeling better. I had ovarian cysts too. Mine would burst each month, and it was pretty painful. Now I take Vitex (chasteberry fruit) to balance my hormones naturally. It is hormone free, and works gently in about a month or two. I have been pain free ever since. Good luck, moving forward, and I hope you don't have to end up in the ER again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks for the tip Vanessa. Glad you aren't dealing with it anymore!

      Delete
    2. Oh and thanks :) people were uncertain about the coral with the shirt but I knew it would work!

      Delete
  7. Oh no :( Your poor fabric! And poor you with the cysts :( I feel for you - though I haven't had one in a while. I sure hope you feel better soon. Congrats to the DD on her MVP! And those shorts look great! They will turn out even better with the ikat fabric (yikes on the rise though!). We were in the ER on Sunday - not a normal place for us in the summer months. Hubs put a rusty nail through his foot. ick. Something must be in the air this weekend! Oh and hey, Molly of "Toferet's Empty Bobbin" was talking about a Minnesota meet-up (and I thought of you! lol.) more info here if you didn't see it already - http://toferet.wordpress.com/2014/06/29/minnesota-meet-up/ she needs help spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I "ran" over to Molly's blog to comment. Thanks!!! That would be so awesome.

      And the rusty nail...OUCH!!!!

      Here's to an injury free rest of summer :)

      Delete
  8. Geez, what a crazy weekend! I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I really like your shirt!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! It's always slightly on the hectic side around here!

      Delete
  9. I like your new shirt, too! Hope you're feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are Super-Mom to have made it to the game!! Big congrats to your daughter. And very cute top and shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about the cysts, how annoying.

    I love that blouse - so crisp and sharp. The melting fabric syndrome - isn't that a downer. I remember doing hundreds of little pleats on a Jean Muir design dress, back way back then, and pressed it - and you know what happened! It's a horrible lesson to learn. I have a sign next to my iron now - POLYESTER MELTS .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz!

      I need one of those signs too!

      Delete
  12. Love your new shirt and with all your little modifications, the fit is perfect. Great outfit with the coral shorts and wedges. I am amazed that you got any sewing done at all after what you went through over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Oh gosh I almost NEEDED to; to make my mind feel normal!

      Delete
  13. I'm glad you're feeling better. Love the shirt and the shorts. Sorry about the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks cute! I have that pattern as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jazzy! It's a versatile one!

      Delete
  15. Sorry to hear about your owie time in the emergency room. :(

    And what a huge bummer with your fabric. Hoping you didn't get too far into sewing it up before that happened; that's what would piss me off the most.

    And I loooooove your new tab cuffed button down. Looks amazing on you; well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was SO lucky that it was right at the beginning. I was still kinda pissed off that I'd did all the interfacing on the collar and band pieces. I hate interfacing!!!! :)

      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  16. Like the shirt. sorry for the second top, that fabric was pretty tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelroc! It was so pretty! :/

      Delete
  17. I have been hemming the same chiffon skirted choir dresses for a few years, and so one might think I was past the melting of the new friend.

    Oh no, you would be wrong. There was something on the fabric I could not see, and it met with something on the iron. Instant stinking hole!

    I feel your pain. Owie owie ow. Can the three day holiday weekend start early for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See! Ugh!

      I might be able to sneak out a little early. 3 of my team members are out so I'm here. Boooo! :)

      Delete
  18. SO sorry about the cyst.. hope your feeling better.. Those things are AWFUL!!
    Love your top.. so cute, and such a good fit..
    Sorry about the shorts.. I hate when this happens..
    Hope you have a good july4th weekend..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! Feeling a lot better.

      Thanks so much! Hope you enjoy your weekend with family!

      Delete
  19. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and promptly burned it. =) I'm glad you're feeling better. We need to find you a better happy hour!

    I saw your review of the gulls & boats shirt on PR. It's faboo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It was the wings...definitely those 'zesty' wings! ;)

      Thanks much!

      Delete
  20. I'm exhausted just reading about everything you were up to--jeeze! I sure hope you're feeling better. (And I know cysts and the combo of narcotic pain meds and caffeine are not *supposed* to be funny, but your descriptions made me LOL!)

    Your nautical shirt looks fantastic. What a shame about your July 4th fabric, though. Hopefully you at least get a good "rebound" garment. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!