Monday, June 23, 2014

WORKS in Progress

My name is Nakisha and I have sewing attention deficit disorder.

This weekend was a weird one -- not jam-packed with activities but it totally just slipped on by. I got a bit of sewing done in fits and as a result have nothing finished but several "in progress" works. Hey...as long as it gets sewn!

Simplicity 2443 jacket:


This project could be WAY further along but those dang pockets!!!!! I posted a thread on PR and got a ton of helpful tips for turning out round patch pockets. I think they came out okay (sorry for the overexposed pic).

I *really* wanted the crazy ties and all that but it's designed to be made with ribbon and I've been to 3 spots and found no matching ribbon. I am going to "turn a tube" and see if it hangs well...I hate turning tubes.

Still need:
pockets stitched onto other front
sleeves (plackets, band and setting in)
Bottom band
Facings

Simplicity 2255:


This fabric makes me happy. It washed and dried well. It presses AHHH-mazingly! (everything should be made in nice cotton. Everything. Alllll the things)

But...do you see something?

I bet you do...even my daughter did.

My sailboats and seagulls are upside down. I cannot believe I made such a bone-headed move. I was going for optimal fabric use (not that I didn't have enough but I wanted scraps because this fabric makes me happy). Then I made sure my pockets were in line...but the boats are in line with the seagulls and the seagulls are in line with the boats. holy cow! sheesh!!!!!! But I am going forward. The shirt will be finished, upside boats or not. If it drives me too crazy it'll serve as a "throw on" top. I really almost ran back to FabricMart to buy more since I was so heartbroken over it!

Still need:
Sleeves set
Button band
Collar
Hemming
Buttons and buttonholes 

PJ pants for the boy:

He wanted fleece lounge pants. In the summer. Whatevs.


I'm fasting for 3 months. Me. Mrs. Buy all the things.

I know...I know...But right now I technically have too much fabric. It's starting to migrate all over. My bins are full. I have fabric on the extra table, I have fabric (a really big pile) in a box in the dining room, I have fabric in my bedroom.

So I will have a marathon of sewing over the next few months. June still has several plans and then there's the mini-wardrobe and then I need work pants.

31 comments:

  1. The jacket is going to be beautiful.. Love those pockets on it.
    Love, love the nautical fabric. it makes me happy [and makes me want to head to fabric mart,ha]. So sorry that it got turned wrong.. but you know what, I bet when you get it made..you will never know it.. Wear it and love it... I do this with the kids clothes quiet frequently.. Made some pj's for a little one.. one leg had small princess going one way, the other leg going the opposite. Really bad.. And I had no more of the fabric.ha
    Best wishes on the stash bust.. I am "trying" to refrain, and use what I have.. but..............it is hard..ha
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh it's going to be so hard!!! :)

      I agree that I probably won't be bothered at all. I'm just marching forward, doing my best work. It'll turn out.

      Delete
  2. If it makes you feel better, I didn't notice the pattern was upside down! I saw the pocket first, and the pattern is fine there. So I assumed the rest of the shirt was fine, too. On the other hand, it's actually a really cool effect, kind of like contrast pockets on a man's shirt, but more subtle and in reverse.

    Enjoy sewing from stash! You certainly have some lovely pieces to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh noooooo sorry about the sailboats being upside down...maybe you could call it your "capsized sailboat" top. plus, i have attention deficit disorder too. whats up with that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Love "capsized sailboat"! :-D

      There are so many patterns! So many fabrics!!! :)

      Delete
  4. Oooh. Simplicity 2443? Right. Well, see what had happened was...

    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    Oops on the sailboats. At least when you look down, they'll be right-side up to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!!!!!! No worries!

      Genius! I made them that way so that u could enjoy their sailboaty goodness!!

      Delete
  5. The jacket is looking great! Sorry about the sailboats--we've all done that from time to time. I bet that no one will even notice unless you point it out to them. Non-sewists (if they even notice) will probably just think that it's a "design feature".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! It's design feature for the win!

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry about the upside down sailboats, the construction on the top is really nice! Btw, I love that you have sewing attention deficit disorder! : ) I love seeing the things you start and finish, even if it happens in multiples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make the sailboat top a science experiment. Just happily wear it and take copious notes on people's comments (or as I suspect - the lack thereof - cause really - who's going to notice!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love 2443. I'm sure 2255 will be fine. I agree that people probably won't even notice. Okay - I'm going to stashbust too - DH has been complaining as fabric is taking over the house! 3 months? Well, I have plenty to keep me going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne :) I know I could go three months without buying a stitch of fabric. Just need to commit! And stay off of FabricMart's site! :-p

      Delete
  9. It's going to be very snappy looking, and who the devil does not love wellpressed cotton? Dang them for all eternity!

    I have been in stashbusting mode, and the small sewing for the summer is all stash. I do have a date with a costumer to go shopping at a very nice wholesaler she has a connection with, so yes, there will be yardage. No one will blame me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! You always make me laugh!

      And no, no one will blame you!

      Delete
  10. Both projects are looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been there, saying I have too much fabric. I suggest you just go lie down until it passes!! lol Embrace your inner hoarder!! Seriously though, it's hard to pass on some of the fabric sales!! I, too, am going to run out of room and start to spread around the house. I better go lie down!!
    Lori in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA!!!!!!! Lie down until it passes! :-D

      I am totally a hoarder and I know it. And fabric is so fun and oh gosh all the possibilities!!!

      no Lori! No!!!! LOL!

      Delete
  12. So excited to see how that Simplicity jacket turns out. You have so many goodies going here!! And P.S. I recommend never (no, really I do, but don't, but really...) joining Julie's Picks club with FM. They tease you and tempt you with delicious fabric samples every month... holy jeez, I just got July's swatches and usually I am strong... but this may wreck me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys are the worst influences ever. It's like junior high all over! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Word on the street... FM is doing a Fashion Fabricista Challenge again in Sept... I think YOU should enter. There's going to be some changes to how it's run and all that. I think they'll have a blog post announcing it sometime soon.

      Delete
  13. The jacket is going to look amazing. Most people won't notice the sailboats are upside down unless you point it out. It actually looks like its just part of the design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) We will call it a design feature for sure; especially since the pockets, sleeves, button band and collar all have them right side up!

      Delete
  14. Well, Nakisha, you always have lots of projects on the boil!! And you seem to get them done.

    Stash busting is a great idea - I find it actually has a counter effect though - I tend to buy more when I am supposed to by stash busting - I have a real stash problem!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I told my husband and he just gave me the "Yeah, right" face!

      Delete
  15. That jacket is going to be AH-mazing! I'm envious that you're ambitious enough to do so much sewing--my stash is confined to one bin (thank goodness!) but I feel like I never make a dent. Can't wait to see what you make this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!