Sunday, November 30, 2014

November Wrap-Up

I'm just going to stop saying 'I won't sew much'.

This month I've sewn:

  • In-House Belle blouse in printed voile - 1.5 yards
  • S2061 sweatpants in black & grey - 1.5 yards
  • M7046 top in blue/white printed jersey - 1 yard (wadder)
  • BS7136 shirt in blue shirting - 1.5 yards
  • V9032 pants in black/grey herringbone suiting - 2.25 yards
  • S2054 sweatshirt dress in grey fleece for my daughter - 1.5 yards
  • BS6919 dress in black ponte - 1.5 yards
  • BS6990 turtleneck in charcoal ponte - 1.5 yards (Needs to be saved from wadder-ville)
  • BS7136 shirt in plaid shirting - 2 yards
  • V9032 pants in denim - 1.75 yards (wip)
Total yards sewn this month: 16

Fabric in this month - ZERO! ZILCH!! NADA!!!!! :-)

I'd have to call my V9032 herringbone pants my favorite this month. I've only had them for 2 weeks and can't tell you how often they are worn! Definitely a go-to pattern for me! I'm also smitten with my Belle bow blouse and feel like my life won't be complete until I sew it in challis! ;-)

*****
Burda 6990 was on my wish list for like, ever. And the last time they went on sale I snatched it up. At one point I tried it on and ended up sewing 3/8" seam allowance through the sleeve and bust and went back to a 5/8" SA below. Great! 

And then I sewed on the turtleneck.

And I *KNOW* I have a big head. Well...I have a big neck too, apparently!  I thought I was going to faint. My breathing was being cut off and I had to get it OFF! BUT I know that I can remove it and either change it to more of a cowl or just use a bigger piece. I'm sure it's because it's ponte (e.g., there's not much stretch. I should try it in a rayon jersey...)


*****
Simplicity 2054 for my DD. She wanted a sweatshirt dress (tunic) and though I knew a raglan would be perfect, I was being lazy and didn't want to cut a new pattern (was going to use NL 6298). I had her try on my black & white version and she liked the oversized fit. 

So I used the size 14, folding the neck/shoulders back to a 10. I am enamored with the deep hem!!! I think it's 2.5". It made it slightly tough to sew since the dress flares but it was worth it.


*****
In the thick of the Fabric Mart contest, I started a second B6104 (first one here) in brown wool. It has languished in it's blue bin, awaiting it's turn to be sewn!!!

I wanted to sew but didn't want to cut anything out and in my infinite wisdom... I'd labeled all the pieces and had them pinned together!


I COULD HAVE KISSED MYSELF!!!!!!!

At the last notions sale I picked up another box of pins because, where the heck did they all go?

My princess seams were pinned and waiting to be sewn! HA!

I assembled the shell and hemmed and hawed over lining colors and went with the light pink(again). I cut it all out last night.

This pattern has fake lapels. Faux? Pseudo? We'll see how it comes together.



The lining is about halfway assembled. I just need to sew the peplum to the bodice, set the sleeves, and I'll be ready to bag it.



25 comments:

  1. Wow--have you been busy or what? Churning out 2-3 pieces a week. B6104 looks like a great jacket, love the Simplicity tunic/dress. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! The jacket is finished but I don't love it. Maybe it'll grow on me. Review to come!

      Delete
  2. You always sew a lot!!!
    So what is your clothes closet looking like these days? I'm super curious about seamsters who sew up a lot every month, much or most of it for themselves...where do you store all the things you've made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooooo I have 2 closets - our house has like 10 closets. It's insane. I don't complain because it's against "the rules" to complain about storage space! :) I really do have almost 2 separate wardrobes since it's so cold here for most of the year. There are tons of items that will not see light of day until May. And I almost literally swap the two closets at that point - save for things like pants that I wear year-round.

      I still have quite a large ratio of failures - many times that comes after the fact. I realize I don't wear it for some reason; fabric type, pattern/style, I liked it but it isn't really conducive to my lifestyle, etc.

      I planned to blog about that very thing but figured I'd save it for a year-end post!

      Delete
    2. Great question. I was wondering the same. =)

      Delete
  3. Seriously, no fabric! Guess that's why three boxes of fabric from Fabric Mart has arrived at my house this month! Someone has to keep them in business since you slacked off this month! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA!!! Thanks for taking the hit cause my fabric storage area can't! :-p

      Delete
  4. Holy Prolific Sew-er Batman! That's a lot of time at the machine/cutting table. I am very impressed.

    You are officially my mentor. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, what a great month you had! You got some lovely pieces this month. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. They don't behave quite right. Will see how much I like it once it's pressed.

      Delete
    2. I'm going with Faux-pseudo or faux-do. Me likes.

      Delete
  7. The eternal question...where DO the pins go?! Great monthly output as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice output for the month! Looking at that jacket...wow, I thought that I used a lot of pins in princess seams, but nowhere near as many as you do.

    Projects that get cut out and set aside are BIG pin eaters for me. It's not uncommon for me to randomly decide to cut something else out while I'm in the middle of a different project. Or to cut out a project then then...oooh shiney! and put it aside while I work on whatever grabbed my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My machine is so shifty! I really think it's time for an upgrade. So on curved seams I pin pin pin!!! :)

      Delete
  9. You are on a roll! I wish I could wrangle my creative energy more productively. Also, I'm majorly impressed that you managed to not bring any fabric into the house during the month! That's a huge feat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      It took some serious holding back! :)

      Delete
  10. Just saw your post on Fabric Mart about your minimalist outfit, and I felt I needed to comment because you really have a great eye for what suits you, and you're clearly GREAT at fitting! I adore that black jacket and it's so flattering on you. Look forward to seeing more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I broke out my embroidery unit after having not used it in...hmm...four years? There were two pins in the bag for absolutely no good reason. I say pins have gone the way of socks and missing pattern pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!