My November plan has fallen by the wayside, quickly. I made the off white cardigan and was *supposed* to be making pants and a vest and a couple tops. Err, I haven't made anything else from my brown plan. I also haven't worked on my S1699 -aka- my November Garment of the Month Challenge jacket. Oops!!
I finished my Simplicity 2451 skirt and I love it!
This pattern has 65 reviews on Pattern Review and there are tons of makes on the web. It's a nice silhouette and it goes together pretty quickly. I used a bright royal blue cotton remnant - it has a little bit of stretch - and an exposed light grey zipper.
I was worried it would be too short and I also realized it was now a smidge too tight (compared to when I cut it back in August). I cut a size 16 with absolutely zero adjustments. Next time I'd alter the dart position a little bit. I love the yoke and the pleats - which I did backwards).
I paired it with a black knit top I bought from The Limited like 711 years ago and black tights (I love black tights)...And the most comfortable booties ever...They're by Sofft.
Friday, I had a bad day. When I woke up Saturday I was still having a bad day. And what happens when life gives you lemons? You sew!
I knew I need to do something I had done before as I didn't have the energy to fuss with fitting issues. I also challenged myself to use a plaid - yay! Out came NL 6104 and a cheap cotton blend plaid I got at WalMart for $1.50/yd. It was 44" fabric so I got 2 yards of it...with buttons that's a $4 shirt! SCORE!
No one should ever make a plaid shirt and not cut the button band on the bias. BIAS RULES!!!!
Checking out my plaid matching! ;-)
I cut a size 14 and added like 1/2" to the height of the neckline. I need to do an FBA on this pattern but didn't have the energy to do so (see above). So I tried to just add a bit at the side seam (I think I need about 3/4" at the bust). It isn't gaping but it's snug at the bust.
I also discovered that my machine sucks at making button holes. It just doesn't do a good job at steps 2 and 4 - the "sides". It's a sloppy zig zag. I played around with it and made like 5 test button holes before saying forget it and forging ahead.
The best tip I ever got for button holes was to add fray check to front and back of the button hole before cutting. Oh my goodness what a difference that makes!
I also use my sewing machine to attach buttons - even though people hate the results it gives! :) I just pull the threads to the back and tie them off tightly to help keep it secure.
Alright...I'm going to get back on my sewing plan. I am. :)