Sunday, April 13, 2014

Finished Item: BurdaStyle Magazine Illusion Jacket

FINALLY!!!!!

Let me just start by saying I went through about 12 love/hate cycles with this jacket.  For at least a few days all it needed was for the knit sleeves to be hemmed. Goodness gracious :)

Well now it's done! Wooohoo! And I really like it.
I like it open more than closed
That laugh is a result of seeing this pic:


I have NO clue why  I was making that face! LOL!!!!!


I changed my mind on lining about 3 times. I went with this one because well...I like it...and I had thread to match it ;-)

As you can see, I got the genius idea to add piping. Piping is fun but not fun. I did not do a great job sewing it and now I need want a piping foot.

I also decided I MUST have a hanging chain(!!!!). Well it probably would have worked out a little better if I had not forgotten to add seam allowances to the back facing. I sewed 1/2" seams so it's an inch smaller than it should be. Errr. I made sure though to understitch it and steam the heck out of it...I also sewed down the (grosgrain) ribbon flaps on the chain so it doesn't flip out.

That was my only major error.

Oh wait...no it wasn't.

I also forgot to add hem allowance to the cap sleeves! I added "seam allowance" that's why the lining is so visible. Oops again!

Otherwise it went together well. I chose to stabilize my boucle by fusing 1" strips of interfacing to each piece and then serging the ends. I did not want the weight/stiffness that would have come with block fusing. I confirmed this after fusing my front facings. I wanted the boucle to remain somewhat fluid.

Hmmm. I also decided to use fashion fabric for both pieces of the pocket, vs using lining for half. The weight of the two was just far too different. It didn't feel right...so I ripped it out. Well mostly...I cut it out!

I ended up having to hand sew the point where hem, facing and lining came together and on the right side something weird is happening. If steam can't fix it :-D I will re-do it.


I used fabric from all over!!!

Fashion fabric: Wool blend boucle from Fabric.com ($6)
Lining: Pongee from FabricMart ($2)
Knit sleeves: Ponte from SR Harris ($4)
Interfacing: JoAnn's (I bought 3 bolts on sale Black Friday!)

With snaps, piping and the chain -- I spent under $25 on this project! I think that helped me not be too frustrated if it 'failed' for some reason. Totally wearing it tomorrow.

38 comments:

  1. YES!!!!!!!!! Love the lining (I think I have the same stuff?). Love the fabric. Love the chain. And it's so cool looking on you. I have had this jacket on my mind since I got my magazine, I've really liked the two versions I've seen (yours and Melody's.) Now it's 80F here today and I can't bear to make it now. I hope it's chilly enough for you to wear at least for a bit in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy!!!

      It's 30 degrees today with snow showers expected on Wednesday! LOL!!!

      Delete
  2. I could see you really enjoying this jacket. The piping and the chain "Make it work!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. WELL, your accomplishment is beautiful. I do understand the love hate part of emotions when dealing with a big project like this. Love the POP of color you gave it with the lining and piping. You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I am quite proud of it! I *love* the lining :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like the perfect blend of comfortable and stylish! I'm a big fan of tael and I love the way the color of the lining pops. Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was waiting to see how your coat turned out. The pictures and your happiness (12th cycle) were worth the wait! Your coat is faboo and I love the lining. Also, I love the idea of using interfacing strips in the seam allowances. That's a great tip that I will most definitely steal. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made a fabulous jacket! The lining looks wonderful, and is such a preyty color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks awesome! Love the fabric combos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this jacket. It was worth all the love/hate cycles. It looks stylish and comfy---a combination that's hard to come by. And I love the green lining. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was all, oh my gosh this is the stupidest project ever...OH MY GOSH I LOVE THIS...hahahaha!

      Delete
  9. It turned out fantastic! I enjoy mine open more than closed too. I love your added details the piping is a wonderful touch and the hanging chain is perfection. As soon as fall rolls around again we will be coat twins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody! Yours pushed me right on over the edge of "needing to have it"! :)

      TWINSIES!!

      Delete
  10. Wow this is amazing!! Piping always looks soooo good but is such a pain. Maybe I need to get a piping foot also...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pain. In. The. Rear.! Thanks Beth :)

      Delete
  11. I love your new coat! I really like that boucle. I put in and out of my cart many times before I thought about how large my stash is. You are right about the cost and being less afraid of it not working.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! The color of the lining is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it too - especially the chain - and the piping just gives it such a nice edge. It really does look lovely - and if you underlined it, it would have been as stiff as a board and not flattering at all. Enjoy wearing it - you are now on a love cycle:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz!

      Yes, if it had been more of a winter coat, I would have gone that direction. But I wanted it to stay "loose". I will be needing a jacket at least in the morning clear into June. Such is life in the 'tundra' :)

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the idea on the alternative to block fusing. I think i'll need to keep that in the back of my brain :-) . Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha! It really worked exactly how I needed to. Stabilization without stiffening!

      Delete
  15. This is just fantastic! I absolutely love the green lining. Looks great on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an awesome coat! I love the shape - you are really rocking it! And the lining is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!