Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Finished Item: Simplicity 1916

I saw a review for this pattern one day and thought...hmmm why don't I own that?!? I picked it up at the next Simplicity sale. Then upon closer inspection realized it would probably be a bit too "boob-a-licious" for everyday life and didn't think much more about it.


On my last stashing post, Michelle suggested I use the fabric I didn't love as a wearable muslin. Ah. Great idea! May as well use that 1.5 yards of odd jersey to try out this top.

Now, for some reason, I chose the smaller size range (ending in a 14). The 14 has a finished bust of 36" (zero bust ease) and I am about 39". So uhmm...yeah. I thought 3 inches of negative ease would be a bit much! And the pattern pieces are oddly shaped so adding wasn't working in my brain. I decided to use 3/8" seam allowances on the CB and side seams, giving me an extra 1.5" Initially I was going to scrap the CB seam but I'm so glad I didn't. It provides great shaping!

I had to scratch my head and walk away and unpick stitches twice due to that little ruched area meeting the straight area!! And I love the way they have you construct it. Makes finishing CRAZY easy. Also, the sleeve cap really does need to be eased. Even if you set it flat, you need to ease it first.

End result? LOVE. It even makes me like the fabric!

Just look at that shaping!! (and not the stuff in the background!)


Too low cut for work


Difficult but cute! LOL! (the second time around only involved ONE instance of unpicking...)

So I decided I HAD to have it in my lovely red fabric and planned on using the instructions given by Myra here to de-boob-ify it.

But then I was inspired by another fabric that I did not initially love. The ITY lace print also scored from FabricMart.

I decided to make a sleeveless top and skirt. I have a perfect pair of nude peep-toes that will make this a great outfit for a night on the town. BONUS that I can split them up!


Excuse the bad lighting and hence strange coloration of the fabric. This top is SO flattering to me!!! Another time where I have to stop myself from making 10 of the same things :) The skirt is a rectangle with a center back seam (next time I'll cut two pieces and make side seams), courtesy of Mimi G's free tutorial here.

Being very careful with planning, I was able to cut out the top (including neck and armhole bands) and the skirt, from 1.5 yards of fabric. A pretty decent score!

Then I decided to return to my summer sewing plan and after running (!) to grab a few of the new McCall's (with 6961 being highest priority), I came home and immediately cut out the pattern.


Well, the pattern ran 6-14 and 14-22. Based on the envelope, I chose the smaller size range.


Luckily I didn't tell myself that a 12 would work with 3.5" of ease. Because then, after cutting out the skirted piece, strap, back and getting to the front...I saw this:


There's only two inches of ease. I emailed McCall's and got a pat reply that I'm not supposed to choose pattern size based on finished measurements. Ok fine but which is CORRECT? (Yes, I know I could measure it but...I was annoyed)

The tissue is correct.

So I was all set and ok with doing an FBA but then decided I didn't like what felt like shifting the blame on to me because their pattern envelope was incorrect.

In the end she said they will mail a new pattern but I have to return this one and they will send me a coupon for a free See & Sew pattern to compensate me for postage.

Uhmmm. O_o

What. Ever.

I had plans to make the top in a rayon challis and Burda 6907 (view C) in black.


The pants pattern is cut out. I have plans to sew this weekend. Hoping to get these pants done, a wearable muslin of the shorts from S1430, and some finishing on other projects. (Yours truly managed to run out of BLACK thread and couldn't finish the hems on the top and skirt. Doh!)