Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Finished Item: Simplicity 1916

I saw a review for this pattern one day and thought...hmmm why don't I own that?!? I picked it up at the next Simplicity sale. Then upon closer inspection realized it would probably be a bit too "boob-a-licious" for everyday life and didn't think much more about it.


On my last stashing post, Michelle suggested I use the fabric I didn't love as a wearable muslin. Ah. Great idea! May as well use that 1.5 yards of odd jersey to try out this top.

Now, for some reason, I chose the smaller size range (ending in a 14). The 14 has a finished bust of 36" (zero bust ease) and I am about 39". So uhmm...yeah. I thought 3 inches of negative ease would be a bit much! And the pattern pieces are oddly shaped so adding wasn't working in my brain. I decided to use 3/8" seam allowances on the CB and side seams, giving me an extra 1.5" Initially I was going to scrap the CB seam but I'm so glad I didn't. It provides great shaping!

I had to scratch my head and walk away and unpick stitches twice due to that little ruched area meeting the straight area!! And I love the way they have you construct it. Makes finishing CRAZY easy. Also, the sleeve cap really does need to be eased. Even if you set it flat, you need to ease it first.

End result? LOVE. It even makes me like the fabric!

Just look at that shaping!! (and not the stuff in the background!)


Too low cut for work


Difficult but cute! LOL! (the second time around only involved ONE instance of unpicking...)

So I decided I HAD to have it in my lovely red fabric and planned on using the instructions given by Myra here to de-boob-ify it.

But then I was inspired by another fabric that I did not initially love. The ITY lace print also scored from FabricMart.

I decided to make a sleeveless top and skirt. I have a perfect pair of nude peep-toes that will make this a great outfit for a night on the town. BONUS that I can split them up!


Excuse the bad lighting and hence strange coloration of the fabric. This top is SO flattering to me!!! Another time where I have to stop myself from making 10 of the same things :) The skirt is a rectangle with a center back seam (next time I'll cut two pieces and make side seams), courtesy of Mimi G's free tutorial here.

Being very careful with planning, I was able to cut out the top (including neck and armhole bands) and the skirt, from 1.5 yards of fabric. A pretty decent score!

Then I decided to return to my summer sewing plan and after running (!) to grab a few of the new McCall's (with 6961 being highest priority), I came home and immediately cut out the pattern.


Well, the pattern ran 6-14 and 14-22. Based on the envelope, I chose the smaller size range.


Luckily I didn't tell myself that a 12 would work with 3.5" of ease. Because then, after cutting out the skirted piece, strap, back and getting to the front...I saw this:


There's only two inches of ease. I emailed McCall's and got a pat reply that I'm not supposed to choose pattern size based on finished measurements. Ok fine but which is CORRECT? (Yes, I know I could measure it but...I was annoyed)

The tissue is correct.

So I was all set and ok with doing an FBA but then decided I didn't like what felt like shifting the blame on to me because their pattern envelope was incorrect.

In the end she said they will mail a new pattern but I have to return this one and they will send me a coupon for a free See & Sew pattern to compensate me for postage.

Uhmmm. O_o

What. Ever.

I had plans to make the top in a rayon challis and Burda 6907 (view C) in black.


The pants pattern is cut out. I have plans to sew this weekend. Hoping to get these pants done, a wearable muslin of the shorts from S1430, and some finishing on other projects. (Yours truly managed to run out of BLACK thread and couldn't finish the hems on the top and skirt. Doh!)

26 comments:

  1. I love that top.. It looks so good on you.. And the fabric turned out pretty with that pattern.
    Sorry about your trouble with the McCalls pattern.. I have noticed this before..It makes choosing the right size ,really hard and frustrating..
    Happy sewing this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy!

      I think I might just trace the 14, do the FBA and get going. The bodice is lined and the ruffle is just a rectangle, gathered,so this should go relatively quickly. I'm tired of waiting!

      Delete
  2. I actually just got this McCall's pattern as well, and I'm having trouble figuring out why the bustline measurement for view D is so different from the other views. It uses the same pattern pieces.

    Do you have any insight? Also, the ease looks to be more like 8.5" on the envelope. In views A-C, at least. Is this correct? I wasn't planning to unfold all the pattern pieces yet just to check the tissue.

    I'm so happy I found this post!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back of the envelope is incorrect. I believe the fabric requirements might be ok, but all of the finished measurements are wrong. You'll have to look at the tissue for the correct size, but it looks like there is 2-2 1/2" of ease (varies with size)

      Delete
  3. The top does look great, and the fabric is perfect - glad you found a use for it. Your sewjo has come back big time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the fabric and the tops. I have problems adjusting wrap or knot/twist tops (needed as I'm tall with a long torso and long from shoulder to boob) - one pattern B5495 I bought says 'no provision made for above waist adjustments' so I haven't touched it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne!

      oooh and on that style is really important because you don't want the twist sitting in the wrong spot. :/ I bet the ladies on pattern review could help!

      Delete
  5. The top is lovely but my favorite was your 'boob-a-licous' comment (I laughed out loud!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love center back seams. And the lace print is perfect for a night out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! Just need a night out now ;-)

      Delete
  7. That top looks great! I consider patterns to be like clothes on a hanger, some just don't show their full potential until you are wearing them. How frustrating that they gave you a scripted reply. I guess they don't want assists to adjust their patterns so that they look their best. It is nice if that they will replace th pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly pattern companies. Meh.

      I really love this pattern. Really! :)

      Delete
  8. You always amaze me by how fast you sew! I love the top and skirt; and its definitely a bonus that you can separate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks! I must be faster than I think I am because I keep hearing that ;-)

      Delete
  9. Oh my word! That dress! You look hot, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the shirt.... cant wait to see how the pants turn out...its on my to do summer list....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kely!! I am definitely a little cautious about them with the side patch pockets and what-not. I am starting with some olive cotton blend suiting scored during a FabricMart sale for $1.99. If I love them; score! If not...I won't be too sad.

      Delete
  11. I knew you'd make turn those 'iffy' fabrics into something fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the tops on you! I have S1916 in my stash also. I definitely need to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both tops look great on you! I can see why you want to make up tons :)
    I love the bottom outfit - very classy, yet fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That top is lovely! I think the print works perfectly with the style. Also, isn't this top a Patternreview favorite? I can see why!! Oh, and the dress looks fabulous too!! I have this same fabric sitting in my closet, unsure of what to do with it. And yes, you do sew finish projects quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a few v-neck tops that are a little low for my 68-year-old comfort level so I use a very easy fix - a camisole underneath in a contrasting or coordinating color and I always feel less like I am giving a show.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!