Monday, April 7, 2014

Finished Item: S2860 and Knitting and Coat Progress


I got so far with my coat yesterday. SO FAR!!!!! Then I was foiled. FOILED!

The whole attaching a lined cap sleeve and a ponte undersleeve to a lined bodice is tricky. Tres tricky my friends. I had to put it down and think about it. I think I've figured it out.

I also had to figure out the "corners" where the facing, hem and lining all come together. I think I've figured that out too. I've also figured out that I'm going to have to take this thing to someone for a professional pressing. My Black & Decker is no match for several layers of boucle...I just am not getting crisp seams and that's not allowed! :)

I'm rocking and rolling...except I realized that my snaps are not in the right position. Any of them. I used the markings on the pattern. Why? WHY?????!!!! So now I have to redo them and I swear it took me over an hour to sew those dang things on.

Sorry...you have to get one more "in progress" shot! LOL! I hope to finish by the weekend...


If you look closely, you can see it pulling at the waist snap. No bueno.






After futzing around and not feeling like redoing the snaps last night, I decide I need (NEED!) to sew something. Life is messing with me lately and I am going into whiny "woe is me" mode. Sewing and spending time with my kids really help to pull me out. And oh how I wish I could pop over to Mama and Papa's house :-(

I digress.

I made baby K some pj pants!!

Why yes. That IS a JoAnn's ad and a Wawak catalog in the background!

I used Simplicity 2826 which is now OOP. 
Simplicity 2826
Looks pretty old school... but it works!




 The largest size in my envelope was a 3 so you know me...easy way out! I cut a 3 and just did a super hem. I intended to make hot pink ties but was on a roll and forgot. She'll get more...these went together TOO easily. One piece. ONE PATTERN PIECE!!!! Inseams. Crotch seam. Waist. Hem. Done. Took maybe 45 minutes.

My hat is awesome! It's all thick and fluffy and too warm for the current weather but so what. It is awesome!!


Pattern is free on Ravelry and uses worsted and like, size 8s. Goes SUPER FAST. (Boardwalk)
Oh but don't be like me. DO use smaller needles for your ribbing...
I used Lion Brand Heartland that is a really great acrylic. It knits up very well. it isn't splitty and is barely squeaky. I like it! I think it'll be my choice for next years hats and mittens,


Lastly, I love this cat. :)

She's a guard-attack-ninja kitty!

25 comments:

  1. Your coat is looking really good! I once made a cape from a heavy woven wool. It's a bugger to press. Since making it, I've read that some people use a vinegar/water mixture to press stubborn fabrics or permanently set seams. I've not done it, but it might be worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'll read up on it!

      Delete
    2. Vinegar + water (I use about half and half) and a paper bag square as a pressing cloth. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. When I made my wool coats last winter I used a wooden clapper to get a crisp finish. Just give it a shot of steam and then take the clapper and press it down firmly on the seam. Worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't have a clapper. That should go on my list of things I need, for sure. That and a seam roll.

      Delete
  3. If you haven't got a seam roll, use a rolled up towel. You can fold towels in any shape to fit awkward corners. Plus they are always handy. Sewing on buttons and snaps is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attack cat! I had one that would jump from the top of the fridge onto my head or back. Then she would cling with her nails.
    Another idea that combines clapper and seam roll is to take a dowel and use it under the seam while ironing. I keep wanting one from Home Depot. Hubby thinks I'm nuts when I ask for sewing supplies from the hardware store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh your cat sounds like it was really on the attack! Hahaha!!!

      OMG a dowel is genius! I have a pack of dowels!! (Part of my former tutu selling biz. Little tulle wands!)

      Delete
  5. Your hat is awesome. I tried knitting a couple of weekends ago. It was an epic fail. I vowed to never, ever pick up knitting needles again...lest I mistake them for chopsticks.

    Is it me or as anyone else getting a "Shining" feel from that cat? Cree. Py. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitten is fierce!

      Ha!!!!! It took me actually getting in person lessons to learn. I'm hooked!

      Delete
  6. Bummer about those darn snaps...but you are in the home stretch!!! Instant satisfaction projects are perfect for a sewing boost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessssss. I'm ready to wrap 'er up!

      Delete
  7. The progress you have made on the coats looks great, I cant wait to see the finish product

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your coat is looking great.. Sorry about your snaps.. Such a pain to have to redo.. Big ole hug sent your way!!!
    your hat looks warm.. Will be great for your snowy/cold weather..
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep staring at them and then...nah....lol!!!

      I can't wait to wear my hat next winter! Or maybe next month when winter comes back?? ;-)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Yes. It's coming along. And even if I don't finish until the weekend that's still about 2 weeks start to finish. Not too shabby.

      Delete
  10. Even the cat has a beautifully matched and centered patterned coat!

    Love the beanie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the hat! It took me well over three years (maybe even four) of knitting before I decided to knit my hat brims on smaller needles -- what a difference! What's your Ravelry name? I'd love to befriend you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh I *KNEW* to use smaller needles...I just was stuck at the hospital with my husband and only had size 8s. So I knit the entire hat on the 8s! :)

      I'm MrsCharisma there!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!