Thursday, April 3, 2014

Miscellany

FINALLY cut the Burda Style Illusion jacket! Here are some progress pics (it's a bit further along now)




I'm reading a pretty good book


I'm knitting my first hat (I never finished my other first hat because I didn't understand some things and the pattern got OFF and yeah). I'm making progress in sewing AND knitting!



Lastly, I decided not to draft a lining for the S2153 jacket. The fabric has a nice weight. It's waterproof on the outside (almost typed 'OD' as in outer diameter. Too much metallurgy!) and a soft cottony texture on the inside. I decided on polka dot bias tape for the seams and facing. 

I went to JoAnn as quilting cottons were 30% off and I had a 15% off coupon. I couldn't get internet in the store and didn't know how much to buy. I decided to just go with a yard. There was a 5/8 yard remnant so I took that too. When I finally got reception, I learned that 1 yard of 45" fabric makes somewhere around 15 yards of bias tape. 

Oops! Lol!!!

18 comments:

  1. Your jacket is really coming along beautifully, can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody! I've decided to add piping! And I'm deliriously excited about it! LOL!

      Delete
  2. How do you have time to sleep? A job, family, reading, sewing and knitting? I can't wait to see this coat all done up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!!! I think I am a ninja. Maybe I have secret extra hours in the day?? I totally sleep like 8-9 hours a night! LOL!!!!

      Delete
  3. Cant wait to see your coat.. This is going to be so pretty..
    The polka dot bias tape will be gorgeous.. and you will have plenty left over for another project and then you will be proud you couldn't get internet.. thus you have the extra..haha
    Enjoy your sewing, knitting and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. polka dot bias tape---yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I am pretty danged excited about it!

      Delete
  5. Hah! It's nice to make (way) more bias tape than you need, especially if you tend to pick fabrics in similar colors -- the tape will match all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a self-proclaimed store-bought bias tape junkie. I rarely make my own!! I'm sure I can think up some other uses though for black & white polka dots!! :)

      Delete
  6. It looks so pretty already. You really do sew a lot! I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! And to me, it does not even seem like a lot. What does THAT say?!?! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  7. Your monthly sewing roundups looks like my year-in-review posts. I am convinced you have an identical twin and are playing a deviously cruel (yet clever) joke on the world. I want in.

    Oh and for bias tape, you can get 8 yards out of a fat quarter. I wait for fat quarters to go on sale and buy a couple of colors that I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahahaha!!!!!! I cannot share all of my secrets L!!!!!

      See. 8 yards from a fat quarter. I have 1.625 yards. Good grief. I guess baby K will get a skirt!

      Delete
    2. Ruh? How are you making your bias tape?! =)

      This tutorial works every time. I've tried continuous bias many times and failed just as much until I found this one.

      http://prettyjanebackstage.blogspot.com/2008/10/continuous-bias-tape-tutorial.html

      Trust!

      Delete
    3. I've not made bias tape! That's why I didn't know how much to get. I got 1.625 yards OF FABRIC to make bias tape for one jacket! Lol!!!!!!

      Delete
  8. I love classic black and white so I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited too Roz!

      I think my daughter will want in too, once she sees the jacket. She still can't see past the envelope image yet when I start to work something up, she wants!! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!