Sunday, March 23, 2014

Finished Item: M6614

Thank you everyone for the funny and encouraging comments on the lost mojo post! :)

I think I am missing mojo because it's "a delicate time" as my husband calls it and I feel like a cow. Maybe a calf...

And I'm "certain" nothing is going to look right and wah. Wah. Wah. I worked myself into a mojo-less frenzy. 

My daughter was harassing me for her sweatshirt but Friday night our furnace stopped working. It got down to 57 degrees on the upper level. I hate to imagine what the temp in the basement was. Since we rent, broken furnace = not. my. problem. The landlord called for a repair guy and by 9 ish we were toasty again. 

Saturday morning, she asked in her nicest, sweetest voice if I could make it "like, today", cause she really wanted to wear it. 

I reused M6614--which is a kinda sucky pattern unless you're a boy or a rail thin girl who likes the oversized shapelessness of it-- she is the latter. 

I randomized the print as much as possible! :)

This was my first hooded item and it was easy! I was all worked up over it for no good reason. 

I was all, well I'm not going to line the hood. Sheesh. And then...doh. Then you'd have to finish the front seam! Hahaha!

I was out of tie dye but I did have some thinner solid navy fleece -- score! (+100 points for stashing fabric!). 

Alterations:
Cut a small pattern with medium hood (we are a big headed people).
Added 2" to the sleeve length. 
Sewed 3/8" side seams (all others 5/8") so it would be a bit slouchier. 
Took a small (1/2"??) hem. 

So now, I'm on a roll. I still do not want to start up on any of my projects though. So I decide to make her tee. As a surprise. 

Now, this kid doesn't like surprises. She likes plans and order. But I figured, what the heck. 

Based on finished measurements, I cut a size 8 A/B cup from McCalls 6927 in this plaid cotton (/poly blend?). 


...all nicely serged. 

...all pressed and stitched. 

I just sewed it up! I have made awesome side slits and I am ready to just hem it and finish the neckline. I'd better try it on her for the hem length. 

I have no pics of it on her as I'd created a mini torture chamber! :-))

This shirt was WAAAYYY too tight across the upper back.

This pic really highlights how broad she is  across the back. 


"Mommmmmmmm!!! This shirt HURTS my armpits!"

The armscye was funky. In fact, that was my only reservation when I saw the pattern envelope; it looks odd on both models at the sleeve. 


I'll have to browse through some books I have on hand to figure out if adjusting for the back width will help alleviate painful armpits or if there's another adjustment that needs to be made. 

In the end, I had to rip out the CB seam while she was wearing it, to get her out. It was hilarious!

Hope to cut out all the pieces for my V8772 shirt today. Then I will have all week to construct it and next weekend too, before the contest ends on the 31st.