Monday, March 10, 2014

Finished Items: B5678 and M5890

I *FINALLY* finished that dang blasted Butterick top. I am wearing it today to decide if I like it enough to redo a couple tricky things like the curved hem and cuff top-stitching. It's a bit fiddly in this poplin (Loud and it's clingy)...and the curve of the princess seams are higher than where my actual bust is. So I think I'm going to move on to V8772 and try that one before making another version of B5678. It's darted and I feel like darts are easier to manipulate than curved seams. No?

(Sorry for extra crappy photos)


This is after Chipotle and cake...







**You know how everyone says don't sew while tired? I say don't try on at night! :-O I am so bloated by evening that I have had SEVERAL things get tossed aside in a fit only to put it on some other day and realize it does fit...just not at 10 p.m. when I'm all full-o-bloat.

I don't remember fighting with the hem on the previous trials of this shirt...but I wanted to throw this thing while hemming. Also, I goofed on the buttons. I swear I tried it on several times to judge where the FIRST button -aka- the bust button should go. Nope, it's too low and they are too far apart...even though I used the recommended number of buttons. I was thinking of sewing in a snap right above the bust button and right below it...We will see.

On that note, I did not get to my vest. I pulled it out and contemplated it...but I didn't start it. I did however pull out M5890 and get it sewn up - both the top and the dress. Verdict? LOVE.

McCall's 5890
Uninspiring, right?


 Through several McCall's sales, I looked at this pattern and always put it back. And then I saw it made up on someone and thought, WOW!!! THAT is flattering!

I only have dress form pictures due to feeling very oompa loompa like this weekend (I blame the cake...not myself but the cake!)




Fabric for both is ITY knit from FabricMart. Love to wear and sew (serge) it, hate to hem it. Hate. Hate. Hate. 

Hate that they suggest "turn 3/8" then turn 3/8" again" for finishing the neckline and arms.

Love the princess seamed front and back and the scoop neckline. The b&w top is now no longer work appropriate because it scoops low enough to show my tattoo. Dang it. The dress did not get hemmed as low.

Also, the top is kind of short. Like danger of belly action when you lift your arms. But the dress is too long. ALSO, I don't want to hack off at the hem of the dress because I don't want to lose the flare.

So I think I'll trace the top off (this time I just folded the pattern and cut the fabric) and lengthen it...and shorten the pattern for the dress.

Do dots make you happy too??



The more I stared at this fabric for the dress, the more I loved it. It's graphic and the print kind of melds together. I put my grey cardigan (which I love but is totally not the best silhouette for me) and loved it. Then I realized this print goes with SO many things in my closet!!

Bottom right is my black M6844 cardigan...all others are RTW.


Otherwise I spent hours -- HOURS -- making shorts muslins. More on that tomorrow.

AND I have over committed to things I want to do in March.
-New to Me Pattern Company contest
-Fitted Blouse contest
-March MAGAM
-Trench coat sew-along

We will see how the next 21 days play out!