Sunday, March 16, 2014

Finished items: BS6910 & BSM 02/2014 #135

I was in an interesting place, with regards to sewing mojo this week. 

I was SO excited to make pants for the boy and as you saw, quite proud of the finished product. Then zap. I had low mojo. 

I didn't do anything Friday night. Probably because my cave looked horrendous (Hmm. Is there a correlation between its cleanliness and me wanting to sew?!). 

Saturday I was really going to try to push to make the Thurlow shorts in time for the contest but I couldn't. I *wanted* to sew but couldn't muster up the energy. Eventually I went downstairs anyway. 

I washed several knits that I've acquired lately and planned on making two versions of the Burda raglan top. However, this grey knit that I'd gotten from Hancock came out of the dryer all wonky. I know knits don't have a "grain" per se but if they did, this one would be off grain. I couldn't lay it down flat to save my life. Meh. That's the second time one of their (cotton blend?) knits behaved that way for me. 

Onward!! I cut the top out of a mesh knit from FabricMart. It's called "watercolor" and it's prettttty. :) 

See??! :)

I cut a 40 neckline and graded to a 42. Based on how the icky black one fit, I sewed this with 3/8" SA. *I have realized that I don't like 5/8" SA for knits*. Also based on the I.B.O., and a few different comments 'round the web, I ignored their neck binding dimensions and measured the neckline, subtracting 15%. Because the fabric is sheer, I kept it flat, serged one side to the top and then folded it over and stitched in the ditch. I trimmed close to the stitching. 

This top is LONG. I mentioned last time that I accidentally cut one piece at the hem line. So it's already shorter than intended and I also took a really deep hem as you can see. If you're tall, you may not need a length adjustment. 

I used a turquoise colored thread that just barely made it to the end of the project! Lol!


I love it and want to stare at it because it is pretty. 

Then I cut another drape top from the 02/2014 issue of Burda Style using a striped poly/cotton (?) burnout jersey from Hancock. This went SUPER fast. No changes from last time. I could've made it slightly larger as this fabric isn't as drapey. However, I like that the "pouch" stays put. 

I prefer the wider neck binding I used last time. I'm going to redo it. 


I figured the lines of the top were so crazy that trying to match stripes was futile. Then I realized I could at least give it a shot on the sleeves. So-so. Eh. 

I love it. LOVE!!!!!!!! I don't know how many of these drape tops one can own realistically but... I want one more :-)

More spring & summer sewing; even if it's like 25 degrees F out!!

Next up:

And you know me...a few other things too!

26 comments:

  1. You are awesome. that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are your Burda patterns, PDF? or from the package?

    I bought that watercolor fabric as well. It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the above! Lol

      The water color top is an envelope pattern, the drape top is a magazine pattern. BUT since I got the winter US edition, it has some pdf downloads.

      I don't hate pdf patterns...I just don't prefer them.

      Can't wait to see what you do up with your fabric!

      Delete
  3. love your tops.. The watercolor fabric is so pretty.. Looks great on you.
    When I sew a bunch and the sewing room gets a mess... I loose the sewing mojo..
    When I get it cleaned....it doesn't stay that way ,very long... I am ready to sew.ha
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Exactly Judy!!! I don't want to sew and then I clean and then I am GOING! And then it's messy again. Ahhhhhhh!

      Delete
  4. Love the waterfall top! And I'm glad that you got around to sewing your striped version of the draped top. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I kept thinking and thinking and thinking about that striped top! I'm glad I went ahead and did it :)

      Delete
  5. More sweet tops! I need to get to work on more separates like this. I too lost my sewing mojo (whaaaaaaaat?! This never happens to me!) then it all came to me today... SHORTS! I need them for summer like crazy. (I should do Thurlow shorts, too, great idea.) And of course with my pattern from my stash for shorts I had to do do a check on PatternReview... and what did I see? You had two reviews for the pattern I was about to sew. Of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! We are sewing sisters! :) I want shorts (and more shorts). I have one pair of iffy I-can-wear-them-on-a-good-day shorts.

      I have a summer wardrobe in my head and I am determined to make it happen.

      Delete
  6. The waterfall top is neat-o. Like Kathy said, I need tops too. Gotta get to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L! You're too busy making uber complicated awesomeness. LOL!

      Delete
  7. Love both those tops!

    PS I tackled cleaning up my sewing area a little today. Still have more to go. I just can't concentrate on sewing when it's a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It does make it hard to get things done when you've got all of your stuff EVERYWHERE.

      Delete
  8. I love both tops. I'm wanting to sew knits and tops right now too. Maybe, it is in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annette! I definitely think it's in the air!

      Delete
  9. Oooooh, the watercolor one! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That scoop neck on the striped top is very flattering on you. Both tops are lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Roz! March is on track to be a record stash bustin' month. I have 2 more projects that -must- get done and may end up with another 3 or 4 by month end.

      Delete
  12. I like them all! Lovely tops and fabrics. And it suits you nicely. After I saw your finished garments, I want to make some for myself too :)
    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this Shirt, this pattern!!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh! I love the watercolor fabric - that top looks so good on you! I've also been waiting to see the Burda top made up and it looks much cuter on you than in the magazine :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!