Sunday, March 16, 2014

Finished items: BS6910 & BSM 02/2014 #135

I was in an interesting place, with regards to sewing mojo this week. 

I was SO excited to make pants for the boy and as you saw, quite proud of the finished product. Then zap. I had low mojo. 

I didn't do anything Friday night. Probably because my cave looked horrendous (Hmm. Is there a correlation between its cleanliness and me wanting to sew?!). 

Saturday I was really going to try to push to make the Thurlow shorts in time for the contest but I couldn't. I *wanted* to sew but couldn't muster up the energy. Eventually I went downstairs anyway. 

I washed several knits that I've acquired lately and planned on making two versions of the Burda raglan top. However, this grey knit that I'd gotten from Hancock came out of the dryer all wonky. I know knits don't have a "grain" per se but if they did, this one would be off grain. I couldn't lay it down flat to save my life. Meh. That's the second time one of their (cotton blend?) knits behaved that way for me. 

Onward!! I cut the top out of a mesh knit from FabricMart. It's called "watercolor" and it's prettttty. :) 

See??! :)

I cut a 40 neckline and graded to a 42. Based on how the icky black one fit, I sewed this with 3/8" SA. *I have realized that I don't like 5/8" SA for knits*. Also based on the I.B.O., and a few different comments 'round the web, I ignored their neck binding dimensions and measured the neckline, subtracting 15%. Because the fabric is sheer, I kept it flat, serged one side to the top and then folded it over and stitched in the ditch. I trimmed close to the stitching. 

This top is LONG. I mentioned last time that I accidentally cut one piece at the hem line. So it's already shorter than intended and I also took a really deep hem as you can see. If you're tall, you may not need a length adjustment. 

I used a turquoise colored thread that just barely made it to the end of the project! Lol!


I love it and want to stare at it because it is pretty. 

Then I cut another drape top from the 02/2014 issue of Burda Style using a striped poly/cotton (?) burnout jersey from Hancock. This went SUPER fast. No changes from last time. I could've made it slightly larger as this fabric isn't as drapey. However, I like that the "pouch" stays put. 

I prefer the wider neck binding I used last time. I'm going to redo it. 


I figured the lines of the top were so crazy that trying to match stripes was futile. Then I realized I could at least give it a shot on the sleeves. So-so. Eh. 

I love it. LOVE!!!!!!!! I don't know how many of these drape tops one can own realistically but... I want one more :-)

More spring & summer sewing; even if it's like 25 degrees F out!!

Next up:

And you know me...a few other things too!