Monday, March 24, 2014

Fear or Intelligence

I was all ready to get a quick muslin of vogue 8772. I'd taken flat pattern measurements, I'd researched an FBA with both horizontal and vertical darts...I was ready. And then...

Did I get scared or smart??

I said to myself: Self, you have done most of the work on Butterick 5678. You have a completed version right there in the closet. You know what needs to be changed...

And then I said to my other self: And who the heck wants to try and do an FBA on a top with horizontal AND vertical darts?! 

And my self said to my other self: But weren't you too chicken to try to fix the princess seam curve on B5678??!

And THEN, someone said to someone else (I lose track): But you got an easy peasy how-to on that (Thanks L!) and the B5678 has that nice D cup pattern piece...

So I pulled the grey B5678 out (I'm never making anything out of cotton poplin again) and put it on. And I have my daughter help me with tucks and what-not (she doesn't know that I'm grooming her for this job as fitting helper. She is already my photog when she's here). 

I realize that with a narrow shoulder adjustment, lowering of the princess seam, and a couple other minor details should put me in a good spot. I realize that otherwise, my work on that top was pretty good...save for some frustrations that caused it to be a UFO for 5 ish months...so now, NOW I am excited again! 

Helllooooooo mojo. 

BUT...I acknowledge I am increasingly "scared" to tackle certain things. No more beginners bravado where I fearlessly pursued any pattern or fabric. I am scared to touch those pretty J. Crew chiffons I picked up from FabricMart. I am apparently scared to tackle the bouclè and the Burda Style jacket. I am scared to venture too far into my fitting adjustments. I am scared to beef up my fabric choices (I *can't* buy silk).

Newbie confidence got me comfortable with sewing knits right away. Got me comfortable with pants right away. But I am currently terrified of outerwear, fitted jackets/blazers and still, the lined dress (I need to finish my NL dress. I think lining my M5523 skirt helped a ton though...). 

And fitting. I'm sure many a sewer has gone through the "it is time to hone fit" period. And I'm sure I'll get through it. But I'm scared!!!

So I had to ask myself (my regular self); was the decision to go back to B5678 out of fear (too scared to tackle something new) or intelligence (why reinvent the wheel?)...

***And maybe you're wondering if I have multiple personality disorder. :)

I pulled out a striped cotton blend shirting and washed it up (I was very happy to see that most of my fabric had been prewashed!! I only had a couple other things that could be added to the load). 

It was a close one. Here's what's left:


And the adjustments:

This was soooo easy!!


Narrowed the shoulders on the front and back side pieces. 



Tiny reduction in sleeve cap height a la Threads article. 

No time to sew tomorrow but I should have plenty of time to finish up before the end of the month. Hopefully I'll get the major seams sewn and do the more tedious work (collar, sleeves, etc) on the weekend.