Monday, March 24, 2014

Fear or Intelligence

I was all ready to get a quick muslin of vogue 8772. I'd taken flat pattern measurements, I'd researched an FBA with both horizontal and vertical darts...I was ready. And then...

Did I get scared or smart??

I said to myself: Self, you have done most of the work on Butterick 5678. You have a completed version right there in the closet. You know what needs to be changed...

And then I said to my other self: And who the heck wants to try and do an FBA on a top with horizontal AND vertical darts?! 

And my self said to my other self: But weren't you too chicken to try to fix the princess seam curve on B5678??!

And THEN, someone said to someone else (I lose track): But you got an easy peasy how-to on that (Thanks L!) and the B5678 has that nice D cup pattern piece...

So I pulled the grey B5678 out (I'm never making anything out of cotton poplin again) and put it on. And I have my daughter help me with tucks and what-not (she doesn't know that I'm grooming her for this job as fitting helper. She is already my photog when she's here). 

I realize that with a narrow shoulder adjustment, lowering of the princess seam, and a couple other minor details should put me in a good spot. I realize that otherwise, my work on that top was pretty good...save for some frustrations that caused it to be a UFO for 5 ish months...so now, NOW I am excited again! 

Helllooooooo mojo. 

BUT...I acknowledge I am increasingly "scared" to tackle certain things. No more beginners bravado where I fearlessly pursued any pattern or fabric. I am scared to touch those pretty J. Crew chiffons I picked up from FabricMart. I am apparently scared to tackle the bouclè and the Burda Style jacket. I am scared to venture too far into my fitting adjustments. I am scared to beef up my fabric choices (I *can't* buy silk).

Newbie confidence got me comfortable with sewing knits right away. Got me comfortable with pants right away. But I am currently terrified of outerwear, fitted jackets/blazers and still, the lined dress (I need to finish my NL dress. I think lining my M5523 skirt helped a ton though...). 

And fitting. I'm sure many a sewer has gone through the "it is time to hone fit" period. And I'm sure I'll get through it. But I'm scared!!!

So I had to ask myself (my regular self); was the decision to go back to B5678 out of fear (too scared to tackle something new) or intelligence (why reinvent the wheel?)...

***And maybe you're wondering if I have multiple personality disorder. :)

I pulled out a striped cotton blend shirting and washed it up (I was very happy to see that most of my fabric had been prewashed!! I only had a couple other things that could be added to the load). 

It was a close one. Here's what's left:


And the adjustments:

This was soooo easy!!


Narrowed the shoulders on the front and back side pieces. 



Tiny reduction in sleeve cap height a la Threads article. 

No time to sew tomorrow but I should have plenty of time to finish up before the end of the month. Hopefully I'll get the major seams sewn and do the more tedious work (collar, sleeves, etc) on the weekend. 

30 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean since I decided to perfect my fit my garment sewing has really slowed down. Like you I now find myself going back over old patterns to see if a can do better. I am also taking a few courses to speed up the learning processes and gain knowledge from others that have gone through this pain barrier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I guess I can accept if my output is less (I guess...) and my garments are better constructed and better fitted.

      Delete
  2. Fabric fear - I have it when I have precious fabrics. But it's just fabric. I think going back and getting the fit right is good. You just need to get more mojo back to tackle something new and grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh. Good point. I will create a fantastic top and be ready to take on that darned boucle!!! :)

      Delete
  3. This is me too. Not enough of a beginner to be fearless, but not "pro" enough to have tons of confidence.

    But I did just buy my first piece of silk! Okay...a silk/linen blend haha. And now none of my patterns are good enough for it! Sewing problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to start my 4th simplicity 1776, not counting muslining. I decided I really just needed some wins after muslining a couple of other things this past year and not moving forward to the fashion fabric after realising that the patterns I selected did not suit my figure. Keep working on the pattern you have started - mastering something is a good way to set your self up for moving on to new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Autumn! I'm a bit more excited now that I know I've gotten >this< much closer to working out the fit issues with this pattern.

      Delete
  5. I totally understand, from the very start of sewing I had to do a FBA and once I learned I thought nothing of them. However, my fear has always been knit fabric, I would avoid it like the plague :-) To help myself get over my fear of knit I decided to spend my fabric allowance on it, now that money is invested I have to do it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how we each talk ourselves into a corner about something!

      You can conquer knits! :)

      Delete
  6. I too have SMPD (Sewist Multiple Personality Disorder). Ro-flyer is the fearless part of me that has all the great ideas and is full of creative possibilities (this is also the part that buys too much fabric and too many patterns); The Ro-steady part of me is more practical, reads tutorials and tons of blogs, constantly thinks about building her skills and tells Ro-flyer don't buy another pattern or box of fabric until you use up at least half of what you have; and last, The Ro-yore part of me is a modified Eeyore--the one that doubts everything, sees every flaw in past projects, talks Ro-flyer out of her fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants ideas before they even hatch, and chooses to marinate over ideas way too long and chooses not to approach new things (techniques, expensive fabric, etc) rather than to make another wadder. Who wins most of the time? Well, Ro-flyer and Ro-yore are not on speaking terms right now. Ro-steady is staying out of it and making plans for spring/summer sewing. Re-steady also joined ASG (American Sewing Guild) and will be attending the local ASG sewing sessions to get assistance with her sewing challenges. Shhh-She's keeping it on the downlow for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You feel my pain. All these people in our heads... ;-)

      Delete
  7. You crack me up! ALL of you!

    I know exactly what you mean. For the longest time, I was scared to make a simple lined zipper pouch - a zipper pouch!! - because I couldn't figure out how the lining should go in! I finally looked at a tutorial and got it done.

    My current mode of thinking is: you'll learn how to do it. You don't have to learn EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW. There's plenty of time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Learning fitting and construction skills is an iterative process for me. I'll tackle something difficult and skill-building in one project, and if that one is more frustrating than I like (whether it's successful or not), then I'll need an "easy" project, like a t-shirt next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I subconsciously do that too. Like, I don't want to "think" but I want to SEW. Alrighty...knit top it is! :)

      Delete
  9. I used to fear "good" fabrics, then I just stopped buying terrible fabric. 18 months later & I stopped fearing good fabrics. I do buy more than I need of a fabric - just in case! Sleeve heads & upper arms are an issue for me. Partially fixed by using shirt patterns (with more space), not blouse patterns.
    I'm starting the process of finding a pants TNT. I want one that has several features but the alterations they require are very daunting.
    Alternating easy with interesting (terrifying) patterns is an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Good point.

      Pants can get mucked up pretty quickly. Adjust this and that changes...adjust that and this other thing changes. Good luck!

      Delete
  10. Yes, fitting is such a beast, but I imagine it does get easier the more you do it. Also, most times you are making the same fit changes over and over if you are only fitting yourself. Just imagine, one day we won't remember this phase!! I hope all your alterations lend to a great fitting garment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ummm...a lil from column A and a lil from column B? =)

    I'm sure fabric fear strikes all of us - it does for me. I conquer it by remembering that there will always be more fabric and using what I have justifies buying more. =)

    As for fitting, yes, fitting can send the sewjo to the moon. I found that when I kept obsessing over getting that perfect fit, I never sewed. When I finally said $&#* it, I sewed more and eventually became comfortable with the fit. Girl, put that pedal to the floor and sew on. What you make will fit much better than most RTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not crossed over into the deep end where I think I have to have perfection in everything - thankfully! But that poof of fabric above my bust was going to drive me ape---- crazy!

      I heart buying fabric.... :)

      Delete
  12. Take your time and enjoy all of your new sewing challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've started working on a sloper that is now sitting in the corner. I have some items that are time sensitive, but I'm dreaming of making some quick knit tops without fitting issues. I just need to make some quantity without the fear/hassle of fitting. I wish I could go back to ignorance and being thrilled with ill fitting ready to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Quick knits. So forgiving. So nearly effortless!!!

      Delete
  14. Intelligence breeds fear! :p Sometimes you have to "forget" everything you know if you want to learn the things you don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See..."when you know better, you do better"?? ;-)

      Delete
  15. Yep. I know exactly where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!