Sunday, March 30, 2014

Fitted Blouse Contest Entry: B5678

So you know that in the planning of this I decided I need not reinvent the wheel. I had made this before and only needed to tweak it to get it good enough for contest entry.

What is REALLY amazing about this is that I used this same pattern for LAST years entry (after only sewing for 3 months) and am quite proud of my work that I submitted today. I can see development in my sewing and it makes me so happy!!!

With that said, I still entered the "beginner" contest and thank goodness they broke it out by skill level! There are some seriously professional tops posted! I think that I am still, very squarely in the Advanced Beginner category and felt the beginner section is where I belonged. I got backed up on the contest discussion thread too! :)

On with it!

I detailed the few fitting adjustments that I made in this post. "All" that was left was to cut and sew it! :)  Because it is a contest entry, I attempted to write a very thorough review. So, I'll just insert a boatload of pics here...review below :)



My wonky left side. My shoulder slopes, my hip is lower and LOOK! My hair is partial to the left side too!!


Like it tucked in!



I have pointy collar points!


My stripes MATCH!



Top stitching the cuffs proved to be a lesson in PATIENCE.


Pattern Description:
Semi-fitted shirt has shoulder princess seams and stitched hems. B: button tab belt carriers. C: roll up option with button tab on sleeve. A/B, C, D cup sizes.

Pattern Sizing:
6-14 and 14-20; with A/B, C, D cup sizing. I cut a 14D and graded to a 16 through the waist and hip.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I didn't sew a straight view from the envelope. I guess view A with a collar or view C with no sleeve tabs :)

Yes it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. There are a LOT of elements to sewing this shirt and I think the instructions did a good job walking you through.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Funnily, I had a short list of dislikes from the last time I made this shirt. As I look at them (written down), I don't feel the same way now!

-Continuous lap: I would like to try a tower placket, but I don't hate it. It sewed in no problem this time.
-Folded button band: I do like a separate piece but I was making the folding unnecessarily complicated before.
-Length: I like the finished length. It can be left out or tucked in (and stay tucked).

Other likes; LOVE the curved hem and the close fit.

Fabric Used:
Shirting from Hancock fabrics. It's been in the stash for awhile. I assume it's a poly/cotton mix as it came out the dryer with virtually no wrinkles.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Based on my prior wearable muslins; I decided I needed to do a narrow shoulder adjustment of 1/2", lower the bust point of the princess curve 1" (Thanks L! ) and took about 1/4" out of the sleeve cap height.

I also sewed the princess seams with 1/2" seams (vs 5/8") after reading Mary's (from Idle Fancy) post Here. It really made a difference in ease of sewing the seams. It was "painless"!

Otherwise:
I did not clip the princess seams.
I did not topstitch the seams.
I used a contrasting interior collar stand and cuffs.
I serged all the interior seams.
I interfaced the buttonhole side of the button band because it just seemed sort of flimsy even with several layers of fabric. I think my buttonholes came out really well due to this decision!
I spaced my buttons 3" apart while the guide from the pattern had them spaced 3.5" apart.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I think this pattern is on its way to being a TNT (still need a swayback adjustment). I would recommend it but even me, the anti-muslin lady says, make a muslin!!

Conclusion: 
I am really, really proud of my work on this top! I swear I unpicked and restitched the topstitching on the cuffs like 6 times! This forced me to learn to use my walking foot - yay!  I had to unpick serger stitches after sewing AND serging my sleeve inside out (thankfully I had a full 3/8" sa for re-sewing).  And I worked REALLY hard to ensure there was no gaping at the bust!

Walking foot magic:


I've done okay with matching stripes but this required no extra effort!! I pinned the top, middle and end of the piece and bam. MATCHING STRIPES!!!!!!!!

Good luck to anyone else who entered!

48 comments:

  1. Beautiful blouse. .. you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic blouse! Wonderful job matching your stripes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job! I am so impressed with those pointy collars. I am working on a top with a collar and my points are definitely stubby:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a tip! I have to find the website I saw it on...It's all about trimming the SA properly and pulling not poking/pushing. Will link up when I locate it!

      Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. I am so impressed with your shirt..It is beautiful and looks & fits great.. So proud it turned out so well for you. and you got comfortable with your walking foot. Great sewing..
    look forward to seeing what is next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job! I can see u working that with many pieces in your wardobe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Fits well, lots of detailed work went into it. So glad you stuck with it, your persistence paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! I am glad too. The grey version was going to get thrown or set on fire or something...

      Delete
  7. This looks so awesome on you! Whoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks VERY professional - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it looks great! Good luck with the contest. (You'll have my vote.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very snappy shirt! Love the crisp colors and the perfect matching! I have a button- down shirt on my to- sew list. Hope I can come close to meeting this standard,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a compliment! Thanks Nancy :)

      Delete
  11. It looks GREAT!!! Enjoy wearing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks fantastic! I am envious as I've only had button-down fail lately. It looks fabulous. Everything about it is great. You've got my vote :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks really cute on you Nakisha - it really does :). And your sewing is improving too - it's wonderful to see progress with sewing proficiency - it really is. Big Congrats X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! I think that is what I am most excited about, the improvement in skills feels so good!

      Delete
  14. I love this shirt! It reminds me of one I had years ago and loved, sadly long gone now. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail! SAME!

      I had a shirt that was almost exact except it was yellow/white striped with some of the accent stitching done in blue. I loved that shirt. It was probably about 3 sizes smaller than what I wear now - hahaha! So it is long, long, long gone! :)

      Delete
  15. I want to invest in a walking foot but I'm not ready to pay the price yet lol...but it's so seducing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKFULLY, I have a run of the mill singer and I think I paid like $20 for it.

      This snap on foot thing is partially driving my new machine purchase!! I have quite a few feet that I love and use often and I don't want to have to pay big bucks for feet!

      Delete
  16. Beautiful shirt. I can tell you worked hard on it because it is perfection! And now you have the pattern all worked out so sewing up more will be a breeze :D Good luck in the competition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! :-)

      Oooh. I need a white one. Maybe a black one too! :)

      Delete
  17. You did such a great job! It looks beautiful. Good luck on the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous blouse! You nailed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I am pretty giddy about it :)

      Delete
  19. Nakisha, I so enjoy reading your blog, that I have nominated you for the Liebster award. Come see the details at http://mrstoadsews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh My gosh! Thank you!!!!!!!

      EEEEEEK!

      Delete
  20. Your shirt looks wonderful! I agree that this should easily be your TNT! Good luck in the contest, I'll vote for you--this does not look like a beginner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa!

      Oh you won't believe how I hemmed and hawed over Beginner vs Intermediate. I think with proficiency of a couple more things I'll be ready to bump myself :)

      Delete
  21. Wow. I admire your perseverance in sewing it and undoing it to get it right. I think that is why in one year you are seeing such incredible progress in your skills. It motivates me to go get a few of those items that sit in my closet, not worn, that a few sessions of redo time would render them wearable. Well hopefully. ... the shirt looks really well done and nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You outdid yourself miss! I love the contrast cuff and collar stand. The fit is spot on and your matching is top notch. You have my vote! Congratulations on a super-freakin'-awesome job well done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!